2022 Higher English Prelim

Watch
Roxy Wright
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
What were the choices for the essay questions? Please help me- my higher english prelim is this Friday!
Advertisement
Roxy Wright
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
I have my english prelim on Friday, and I know that my close reading is supposedly on astrology as well, have you done the prelim? Do you remember much of the close reading paper and the choices of essay questions?
rhiifuu
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Hm?)
Thank you so much this is so helpful!!! I feel so much more confident knowing a structure like this so genuinely thank you.

It’s just the essay I’ll have to sort now after practicing the 10 marker a few times following your method.
Also, I found this extra work I'd completed for Higher. I do not know what year this past paper is from. However, it is numbered and, at the end there is the 10 marker answered. I have highlighted for you. But, if you are studying Norman, it would be helpful to look at all of the questions or even steal some of the analysis if it relates to any of your texts. Sometimes, I felt as if I needed to see someone else analyse a text to analyse my own eg know what to look out for etc.

Visiting Hour – Timed Scottish Set Text

“The hospital smell combs my nostrils”

Norman uses a metaphor to describe his response to the distinct smell of the hospital which we have all been familiar with at some point in our lives. It is not a pleasant sensation to his surroundings, almost as if this smell is invading his nostrils – it is all he can smell.

“What seems a corpse is trundled into a lift and vanishes heavenward”

The word choice of “trundled” implies to move slowly. The response to the surroundings Norman feels is eerie that life almost has slowed down during his experience. The poet has implied that a body is being transported to the lift almost as if the corpse is on its way to heaven as a lift usually goes up just as we associate heaven in the sky.

“I will not feel, I will not feel, until I have to.”

Norman uses repetition to highlight his feeling of inadequacy. We get this impression because through the use of repetition of “I will not feel” shows us that Norman is suppressing his emotions, his inability to deal with a pending situation until the final outcome, where he must face his feelings.

“Nurses walk lightly, swiftly, here and up and down and there, their slender waists miraculously carrying their burden of so much pain”

Norman feels inadequate to the nurses. He admires the nurses ability to word choice of “miraculously” functionality almost like normality despite the difficulty of their profession, something that Norman would find impossible.

“their slender waists miraculously carrying their burden of so much pain”

Norman describes loss as a “burden” through word choice to highlight that this job would be ‘heavy’ on any individual. However, despite the “slender waists” of the nurse's physical physique they are mentally and emotionally strong. Norman is awaiting a daunting situation and compares his internal crisis leaving him feeling inadequate to the level headed nurses.

“their eyes still clear after so many farewells”

The nurses despite probably have experienced their own suffering of loss not only in their own personal lives but to see it every day almost in their work profession, they still despite, carry on and continue to care for the poorly and remain unphased almost e.g. no tears. Norman feels his own inadequacy because unlike the hardships of being a nurse Norman could not imagine being in their position or even in this pending situation, remain as composed.

“in a white cave of forgetfulness. A withered hand trembles on its stalk.”

Imagery.

The use of the white cave implies the closed off, similar to the white sheet or curtains to separate patients. This is a daunting experience, not comfortable for both the patient and the visitor. It can also be implied the “forgetfulness” can be the cause of heavy medication or due to illness the patient is not very responsive or aware of their surroundings causing them to not remember. This would not be a pleasant experience for the patient to experience or an on looker such as the vistor.

“into an arm wasted of colour a glass fang is fixed, not guzzling but giving”

Imagery.

Norman is comparing the drip to a “glass fang” connotations of blood, vampire like. However, as a vampire ‘draws’ blood from its victims, the drip is however, giving the patient blood instead helping them to get better. This experience would be painful because not only is the patient poorly from sickness, medicated and isolated almost but, the visitor it would be painful to see the condition of the patient. It would not be a pleasant experience to see a loved one or anyone have to be on a drip to get better because it is an indication of a person needing additional support in order to survive.

49. 10 MARKER QUESTION

Norman explores the theme of loss in not only Visiting Hour but, also in his poem “Aunt Julia”. In Visiting Hour Norman is visiting a loved one, in hospital. However, in Aunt Julia he explores the theme of loss not only because of the passing of his Aunt but also the loss of Scottish heritage in today's society.

“But here I still calling me with a seagulls voice.”

Imagery – Metaphor.

He explores loss in this quotation that, his aunt Julia has passed now however, despite her passing through the use of a metaphor he still “hears” her but through the voice of a seagull. Norman is reminded of his aunt's dynamic, louder than life character that of a loud seagull. It can also be implied seagulls are commonly found at the seaside, that it reminds him of his aunt also in the sense of her Scottish highland heritage.

He further goes on to explore the theme of loss as he is frustrated that aunt Julia has now passed and he had only learned Gaelic to be able to communicate through this quotation.

“By the time I had learned a little, she lay, silenced, in the absolute black.”

This is a contrast from the beginning of the poem which started with “Aunt Julia spoke Gaelic very loud and very fast.” which tells the reader, she has passed through the word choice of “silenced” there is not a single word. Norman explores loss and his frustration that he can never communicate with his aunt now which he couldn’t already due to a language barrier.

Norman goes on to explore further themes of loss in his other poems such as, the loss of civilisiation comparing his distaste towards urban life in the poem “Hotel Room, 12th Floor”.

Hotel Room, 12th Floor, Norman refers to urban life that to the wild west through the quotations of:

“The wildest of warhoops.”

“The frontier is never.”

“No stockades can keep the midnight out.”

These quotations throughout the poem implies the loss of civilisation comparing the city life that to as the wild west, a not so civilised time in societys history.

Norman implies that nothing, no “stockade” can stop the violence, the uncivilised, the evil aspects of urban life out. We have lost ourselves.
Last edited by rhiifuu; 1 week ago
Advertisement
rhiifuu
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Also, I'd recommend memorising as many quotations and analysis as possible.

And, for the essay aspect of the paper, I'd recommend trying to understand the text completely. For example, the different elements of the text eg theme, tone, conflict, turning points, key scenes, characters etc.

I will prepare how I would do essays.

I done a text but, it was based on a play.
Oklolll
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Roxy Wright)
What were the choices for the essay questions? Please help me- my higher english prelim is this Friday!
If you are doing poetry one of the questions was how the plot goes from straightforward to complex
Advertisement
_samantha.smithh
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Do you know how to write good evaluations for the critical essay main body paragraphs, they seem to be my weak point 🥲
Roxy Wright
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Oklolll)
If you are doing poetry one of the questions was how the plot goes from straightforward to complex
Was that the 10 marker?
Advertisement
XxAlizaxX
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hey guys!

Im no help here, but my prelim is on Monday and im freaking out, ANY form of help will be highly appreciated 💜💜💜
Oklolll
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Roxy Wright)
Was that the 10 marker?
No
Advertisement
Oklolll
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by XxAlizaxX)
Hey guys!

Im no help here, but my prelim is on Monday and im freaking out, ANY form of help will be highly appreciated 💜💜💜
Are you doing men should weep?
XxAlizaxX
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Are you doing men should weep?
Nope, we are doing a short story that literally nobody has heard of…

“Team spirit: Memories of Being a Freshman Cheerleader for the Basketball Team by Donna Tartt”
Advertisement
Oklolll
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by XxAlizaxX)
Nope, we are doing a short story that literally nobody has heard of…

“Team spirit: Memories of Being a Freshman Cheerleader for the Basketball Team by Donna Tartt”
Oh are you doing poetry for your critical essay ?
XxAlizaxX
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Oh are you doing poetry for your critical essay ?
No, its a short story 💜
Advertisement
Weemark
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
For anyone that has done "men should weep" or "havisham" could you please give some studying advice or what questions we should study for?
Last edited by Weemark; 1 week ago
vinny20065
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hi mark
vinny20065
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Weemark)
For anyone that has done "men should weep" or "havisham" could you please give some studying advice or what questions we should study for?
No
Oklolll
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
10 Marker for men should weep is the theme of conflict
Advertisement
Weemark
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
10 Marker for men should weep is the theme of conflict
When we saw this we celebrated so thank you so much
Oklolll
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
When we saw this we celebrated so thank you so much
😆😆when is your prelim btw?
Weemark
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
😆😆when is your prelim btw?
Spoiler:
Show
tomorrow at 9 XD
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (35)
22.44%
Note taking apps (5)
3.21%
Flashcards (29)
18.59%
Revision guides (5)
3.21%
Past papers (76)
48.72%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
3.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise