The Student Room Group

2022 Higher English Prelim

Anyone done the higher English prelim yet? I know the close reading was supposedly on astrology and very hard but no idea about the critical reading. Anyone have a clue?

Scroll to see replies

The higher english prelim was the hardest prelim. Nearly everyone in my year failed so don’t be disappointed if you get lower than you hoped. I know someone who went from a band 1 A to 20% due to that paper. However you need to keep in mind the prelims are purposefully harder! don’t lose hope
Reply 2
I got an 'A' for Higher English last year.

So, if you want any advice lmk and, I can try helping out.

Prelims are typically harder and you have so much time from now until your finale exam to prepare!!
Original post by Hm?
Anyone done the higher English prelim yet? I know the close reading was supposedly on astrology and very hard but no idea about the critical reading. Anyone have a clue?

Mine is next Thursday. :afraid:
Do you remember anything that was on the prelim
Reply 5
Original post by georgiasanders
The higher english prelim was the hardest prelim. Nearly everyone in my year failed so don’t be disappointed if you get lower than you hoped. I know someone who went from a band 1 A to 20% due to that paper. However you need to keep in tell mind the prelims are purposefully harder! don’t lose hope

Really?? I know it was hard but didn’t know it was that hard. I’ve got mine next week. What was difficult about it like the questions or just the language in the actual passage?
Reply 6
Original post by rhiifuu
I got an 'A' for Higher English last year.

So, if you want any advice lmk and, I can try helping out.

Prelims are typically harder and you have so much time from now until your finale exam to prepare!!

For the critical essay did you by any chance do a film or series? That’s what I’m struggling with most since I’ve never done any type of media study in English and have no idea how my essay should be structured 😭

Also what did you study for your critical analysis, how did you go about the 10 mark question?
Reply 7
Original post by jmaccuish3
Mine is next Thursday. :afraid:

Mine too!!! Good luck 🤞
Original post by Hm?
Really?? I know it was hard but didn’t know it was that hard. I’ve got mine next week. What was difficult about it like the questions or just the language in the actual passage?

Definitely the RUAE. i walked out thinking i got an A however i ended up with a C (which surprisingly only a few people in my class actually passed) the astronomy paper was a joke.

i got 10/30 on my RUAE and 26/40 on critical essay and set text. It’s definitely disappointing bc i got an A in N5 english but they were definitely VERY harsh with the H english prelim
Reply 9
Original post by georgiasanders
Definitely the RUAE. i walked out thinking i got an A however i ended up with a C (which surprisingly only a few people in my class actually passed) the astronomy paper was a joke.

i got 10/30 on my RUAE and 26/40 on critical essay and set text. It’s definitely disappointing bc i got an A in N5 english but they were definitely VERY harsh with the H english prelim

Oh my god what a joke. I genuinely do not know why they make it so difficult like I understand scaring some ppl into studying but when you make it that extreme it just knocks peoples self esteem. My teachers told me they were shocked at how hard it was. What was it that people got wrong on the RUAE?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Hm?
Oh my god what a joke. I genuinely do not know why they make it so difficult like I understand scaring some ppl into studying but when you make it that extreme it just knocks peoples self esteem. My teachers told me they were shocked at how hard it was. What was it that people got wrong on the RUAE?

Honestly i wish i could remember however i done my prelims in December, i think the main problem for everyone was just understanding the passage
I did my Higher English last year and found the prelim difficult and had very low marks. Most of my class didn't appreciate the step up from NAT5 to Higher and many failed the prelim as they were just not ready and didn't have the skills for a Higher English exam yet. Looking back NAT5 was ridiculously easy in comparison, Higher asks a lot more of you in all of the different components. By the time of the final exam, if most of us had gone back and sat the same prelim we would have scored much higher. It wasn't the prelim that was too hard, we didn't have the skills yet and in all honestly had not prepared enough.

Don't worry too much, take it as warning you need to understand what is required at Higher and you need to study and practice the skills needed. I was terrible at English so spent more time studying it than any of my other subjects, it isn't easy unless you read a lot of challenging texts normally or you are just a natural at it. The marking instructions on the SQA site for past papers is a good place to start for RUAE and Scottish Text which is a similar skill. Also work through some of the revision guides (How to pass, Brightred, Leckie etc) as they show you how to break down text, answer RUAE questions fully and get those extra marks. Start reading challenging texts from quality newspapers or magazines now on different subjects, at least one every other day, so you get used to them and don't panic when you get a tough one, it does make a difference.
Original post by BlackLab
I did my Higher English last year and found the prelim difficult and had very low marks. Most of my class didn't appreciate the step up from NAT5 to Higher and many failed the prelim as they were just not ready and didn't have the skills for a Higher English exam yet. Looking back NAT5 was ridiculously easy in comparison, Higher asks a lot more of you in all of the different components. By the time of the final exam, if most of us had gone back and sat the same prelim we would have scored much higher. It wasn't the prelim that was too hard, we didn't have the skills yet and in all honestly had not prepared enough.

Don't worry too much, take it as warning you need to understand what is required at Higher and you need to study and practice the skills needed. I was terrible at English so spent more time studying it than any of my other subjects, it isn't easy unless you read a lot of challenging texts normally or you are just a natural at it. The marking instructions on the SQA site for past papers is a good place to start for RUAE and Scottish Text which is a similar skill. Also work through some of the revision guides (How to pass, Brightred, Leckie etc) as they show you how to break down text, answer RUAE questions fully and get those extra marks. Start reading challenging texts from quality newspapers or magazines now on different subjects, at least one every other day, so you get used to them and don't panic when you get a tough one, it does make a difference.

Do you remember any of the poetry questions or RuAE questions ? 😣
Original post by Oklolll
Do you remember any of the poetry questions or RuAE questions ? 😣

Parts of it, but I don't think LAST YEARS prelim will be any help to you...…
Original post by Hm?
For the critical essay did you by any chance do a film or series? That’s what I’m struggling with most since I’ve never done any type of media study in English and have no idea how my essay should be structured 😭

Also what did you study for your critical analysis, how did you go about the 10 mark question?

We used a poet called, Norman MacCaig. I use to almost get full marks on my critical analysis. I can probably show you how I was taught to structure my answers. I sat the exam almost a year ago now in June. I missed up the 10 marker in my final exam because I tried to be smart, but I still managed to get an A with 77%. It would of probably had been higher. But, I felt rushed for time.

Also, I done mine on a drama called, "A Street Car Name Desire".

I am unsure on my exam breakdown. However, I felt as if my critical analysis and my essay would of been my two strengths. I was never good at close reading. However, there are exam tricks like learning key words for the close reading to answer it whether its an analysis or your own words.
Reply 15
Original post by rhiifuu
We used a poet called, Norman MacCaig. I use to almost get full marks on my critical analysis. I can probably show you how I was taught to structure my answers. I sat the exam almost a year ago now in June. I missed up the 10 marker in my final exam because I tried to be smart, but I still managed to get an A with 77%. It would of probably had been higher. But, I felt rushed for time.

Also, I done mine on a drama called, "A Street Car Name Desire".

I am unsure on my exam breakdown. However, I felt as if my critical analysis and my essay would of been my two strengths. I was never good at close reading. However, there are exam tricks like learning key words for the close reading to answer it whether its an analysis or your own words.

For your essay how did you structure it? Like what kind of film techniques and quotes did you use and how many would you put in per paragraph? Also big ask but do you by any chance have any drafts that you wrote last year i could read to get an idea cause that’s what I struggle with most, writing my essay.

And yeah could you show me how you were taught to structure your critical analysis 10 marker.

Thank you so much this means the world
Original post by Hm?
For your essay how did you structure it? Like what kind of film techniques and quotes did you use and how many would you put in per paragraph? Also big ask but do you by any chance have any drafts that you wrote last year i could read to get an idea cause that’s what I struggle with most, writing my essay.

And yeah could you show me how you were taught to structure your critical analysis 10 marker.

This is an example of an unfinished 10 marker question. However, this is how I was taught to answer my questions with this structure. Please ignore any errors because this was at the beginning of me learning the Critical Analysis and, this piece was timed.

By referring to this and at least one other poem by MacCaig, explain how MacCaig conveys his criticism of a particular culture. (10)

Norman MacCaig criticises the culture in his poem 'Assisi' regarding the hypocrisy of the Catholic church. In addition, he also criticises the culture of societies evolution, our culture, our purpose and attitude towards nature in his poem 'Basking Shark'.

"How clever it was of Giotto to make his frescoes tell stories that would reveal to the illiterate the goodness of God and the suffering of his son."

The tone is condescending and patronising. The word choice of "illiterate" implies a person who cannot read nor write. The implication is that beggar outside the church may be one of these people. Instead, of helping the beggar like St.Francis (a man who gave up everything to live with the poor) the priest is bragging to tourists, receiving admiration and potentially income from the tourists visits. The poet uses this to criticise the culture.

"Outside the three tier of churches, built in honour of St.Francis brother of the poor."

The tone here is irony. MacCaig is criticising that they have built these grand churches in honour of St.Francis however, they neglect the purpose and want of his work to help the poor. Instead, they allow the beggar to be neglected outside. St.Francis would've rather they spent the money to help the poor, a person like the beggar instead of building these expensive churches in memory of him.

"So who's the monster? The thought made me grow pale."

Norman is criticising the culture of our todays society that we have lost our ways, we have lost our purpose and our attitude towards nature. In the poem, "Basking Shark" that is the only time the shark is mentioned. Instead, the implication in the quotation is that we, not this shark are the monsters, our evolution. The poet does not give us an answer but the physical reaction of his suggests to us that he is criticising and disgusted with our culture, how we have evolved through generations.

Explained

You will introduce the text. In this instance, the question asks me from the set text I have received what quotes show the criticism of a particular culture. And, you will also link the other poems you will be discussing for your 10 marker. This will demonstrate to the examiner.. I am going to be talking about this, this and this. And, I will show you how this relates to the question. Therefore, you are demonstrating already to the examiner you understand what the question is asking you and also making it clear for him/her.

"Norman MacCaig criticises the culture in his poem 'Assisi' regarding the hypocrisy of the Catholic church. In addition, he also criticises the culture of societies evolution, our culture, our purpose and attitude towards nature in his poem 'Basking Shark'."

But, you MUST link to the set text provided and another poem you have learned.

I would always at least have 5 quotes per 10 marker and strong analysis. So, my aim was to receive two marks per quote. However, if I did not believe my analysis was strong, I would include more quotes provided with analysis relating to the question.

I hope this helps. I will try finding a completed one. I receive almost full marks one time for my Critical Analysis.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Hm?

I will reply to this again and try to explain how I would answer essay questions.
In my opinion, once you master how to answer your Critical Analysis question will put you in such a good position to obtaining a 'B' or even an 'A' because it is all about understanding the sets, memorising analysis and quotes. And, having a structure to answering the question.

Therefore, it will all be seamless and, is such easy marks. I initially struggled in the beginning because I hadn't studied English in years and had never done the Critical Analysis before. However, understanding the texts, quotes and analysis then, having a solid structure makes it "slip off the tongue" therefore, more time to answer your essay question!!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by rhiifuu
This is an example of an unfinished 10 marker question. However, this is how I was taught to answer my questions with this structure. Please ignore any errors because this was at the beginning of me learning the Critical Analysis and, this piece was timed.

By referring to this and at least one other poem by MacCaig, explain how MacCaig conveys his criticism of a particular culture. (10)

Norman MacCaig criticises the culture in his poem 'Assisi' regarding the hypocrisy of the Catholic church. In addition, he also criticises the culture of societies evolution, our culture, our purpose and attitude towards nature in his poem 'Basking Shark'.

"How clever it was of Giotto to make his frescoes tell stories that would reveal to the illiterate the goodness of God and the suffering of his son."

The tone is condescending and patronising. The word choice of "illiterate" implies a person who cannot read nor write. The implication is that beggar outside the church may be one of these people. Instead, of helping the beggar like St.Francis (a man who gave up everything to live with the poor) the priest is bragging to tourists, receiving admiration and potentially income from the tourists visits. The poet uses this to criticise the culture.

"Outside the three tier of churches, built in honour of St.Francis brother of the poor."

The tone here is irony. MacCaig is criticising that they have built these grand churches in honour of St.Francis however, they neglect the purpose and want of his work to help the poor. Instead, they allow the beggar to be neglected outside. St.Francis would've rather they spent the money to help the poor, a person like the beggar instead of building these expensive churches in memory of him.

"So who's the monster? The thought made me grow pale."

Norman is criticising the culture of our todays society that we have lost our ways, we have lost our purpose and our attitude towards nature. In the poem, "Basking Shark" that is the only time the shark is mentioned. Instead, the implication in the quotation is that we, not this shark are the monsters, our evolution. The poet does not give us an answer but the physical reaction of his suggests to us that he is criticising and disgusted with our culture, how we have evolved through generations.

Explained

You will introduce the text. In this instance, the question asks me from the set text I have received what quotes show the criticism of a particular culture. And, you will also link the other poems you will be discussing for your 10 marker. This will demonstrate to the examiner.. I am going to be talking about this, this and this. And, I will show you how this relates to the question. Therefore, you are demonstrating already to the examiner you understand what the question is asking you and also making it clear for him/her.

"Norman MacCaig criticises the culture in his poem 'Assisi' regarding the hypocrisy of the Catholic church. In addition, he also criticises the culture of societies evolution, our culture, our purpose and attitude towards nature in his poem 'Basking Shark'."

But, you MUST link to the set text provided and another poem you have learned.

I would always at least have 5 quotes per 10 marker and strong analysis. So, my aim was to receive two marks per quote. However, if I did not believe my analysis was strong, I would include more quotes provided with analysis relating to the question.

I hope this helps. I will try finding a completed one. I receive almost full marks one time for my Critical Analysis.

Thank you so much this is so helpful!!! I feel so much more confident knowing a structure like this so genuinely thank you.

It’s just the essay I’ll have to sort now after practicing the 10 marker a few times following your method. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending