Will CGP books be enough to revise for the GCSE?

Watch this thread
username5880112
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I'm 18 and i'm planning to take the GCSE exam in 5 subjects,namely:Physics,Biology,Chemistry,Maths and English language.

My questions is:Will CGP books on GCSE help me pass my exams or in other words would they be enough as revision guides alongside past exam papers?

Thanks in advance for the help.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
Are you studying the courses with school, or privately?

As revision guides to top up a course you're studying - either at school or with a private course provider / tutor, they're fine, yes, and very helpful.

If you're just wanting to study exclusively from textbooks then the CGP books, although fairly comprehensive, don't cover absolutely EVERYTHING. One example off the top of my head, the IGCSE Edexcel Biology one doesn't have a picture of a motor neurone. We made the mistake of thinking CGP books were fully comprehensive, and my daughter was flummoxed when a picture of a motor neurone came up in one of her assessments.
They cover almost everything, but not 100%.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Lathride)
I'm 18 and i'm planning to take the GCSE exam in 5 subjects,namely:Physics,Biology,Chemistry,Maths and English language.

My questions is:Will CGP books on GCSE help me pass my exams or in other words would they be enough as revision guides alongside past exam papers?

I completely agree with PinkMobilePhone - they're great for navigating through the content, and showing you the majority of What You Need To Know, but are not enough in and of themselves. I always recommend students get them, but to use in conjunction with a few more detailed texts.

They're also very good for shaping your revision. You should be familiar with each 'topic', page by page - and going through the book testing yourself on the key points is a good way to find out if you are as familiar with the content as you should be.
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
Are you studying the courses with school, or privately?

As revision guides to top up a course you're studying - either at school or with a private course provider / tutor, they're fine, yes, and very helpful.

If you're just wanting to study exclusively from textbooks then the CGP books, although fairly comprehensive, don't cover absolutely EVERYTHING. One example off the top of my head, the IGCSE Edexcel Biology one doesn't have a picture of a motor neurone. We made the mistake of thinking CGP books were fully comprehensive, and my daughter was flummoxed when a picture of a motor neurone came up in one of her assessments.
They cover almost everything, but not 100%.
I agree with PinkMobilePhone.
I recall using biology a GCSE biology revision book to make my notes with alongside class notes. However eutrophication wasn't even mentioned in that revision book and it came up on my actual GCSE biology paper as a 5 marker. I would advise using revision books in combination with past papers and adding post it notes of mark schemes of Qs/ info that don't appear in the revision books (on the relevant topic pages).

Good luck with your studying.
Agashii_
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
At the time of GCSEs thats all i used to revise.
HOWEVER we did plenty of exam questions in school so i never did extra at home.
If you're just planning on relying on CGP books, then make sure to practice PPQs too.
integration4ever
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Lathride)

Great questions and I agree with PinkMobilePhone in that the CGP guides are not something that provide all the information, however they provide enough information for a A/B standard in my opinion. For the extra push to get the A* you need to have a look at some other revision guides.

I recommend checking out the website "Bytes of Intelligence" on Google and visit their shop. They have some fantastic revision guides and one on GCSE biology which is very detailed with hard past paper questions and all the facts which the CGP doesn't cover in detail (such as a diagram of a motor neurone!!)

Hope that helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (275)
42.05%
The paper was reasonable (270)
41.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.17%
It was TERRIBLE (49)
7.49%

Watched Threads