Golden_Zebra
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi all,

I'm new to The Student Room and was looking for some advice on options. I am an adult male in my 30's looking to change career paths. I have always aspired to be a teacher but I never had the required grades.

The trouble is, i've never been able to stop thinking about the possibility of teaching and I know this is what I want to do. However, I can't seem to overcome the hurdle of not have Science at GCSE. I have re-sat time and time again over many years and I just don't get it.

Not only do I find the subject incredibly boring, I find it overwhelming (even at GCSE level). I have all the other requirements except this.

I just think it's a shame i'm missing out on a potentially great career, just because of something so minor. I've applied for the equivalency testing for Winchester University and have all the material but there's no tutor.

I think I have struggled with this subject because (a) I work full time in a very demanding job and so by the time I get to classes (and travel) - i'm whacked and (b) I just have no interest in science at all and so I procrastinate.

I'm just wondering if anybody can think of some way that I can overcome this. I see people who are maybe 15 years younger than me breaking out into this career that i've always wanted and it fills me with sadness - all because I can't overcome this GCSE Science requirement.

I'm also considered that i'll the requirements might increase. In Wales (where I live) the requirements are ridiculously high and so I will have to move to study (in my 30's).

Any advice would be much appreciared!
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi there,

My name is Eleanor Hopkins and I'm a student ambassador at Coventry University.

Apologies to hear that you're struggling with your science GCSE, it can always be a bit irritating when there's that one subject getting in the way!

I wondered if you have looked into Foundation Years? ( https://www.coventry.ac.uk/cus/study/foundation/ ) As through doing Foundation Years you're able to get higher degrees afterwards.

Coventry University is all about giving people chances -I should know as I have failed maths twice and still got into Coventry with a Un-Conditional thanks to my foundation year!

If you want to see what other choices and options you have in becoming a teacher or joining a teacher training degree here is our Entry Requirements for Primary Education & Teaching: https://www.coventry.ac.uk/cus/cours.../?term=2022-23

If you want to look at our other teaching degrees and their options here is the link for that too: https://www.coventry.ac.uk/study-at-...earch=teaching

I hope this helps! If you want anymore help or advice, feel free to reply to this and either me or another ambassador will get in touch.

El
Golden_Zebra
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors)
Hi there,

My name is Eleanor Hopkins and I'm a student ambassador at Coventry University.

Apologies to hear that you're struggling with your science GCSE, it can always be a bit irritating when there's that one subject getting in the way!

I wondered if you have looked into Foundation Years? ( https://www.coventry.ac.uk/cus/study/foundation/ ) As through doing Foundation Years you're able to get higher degrees afterwards.

Coventry University is all about giving people chances -I should know as I have failed maths twice and still got into Coventry with a Un-Conditional thanks to my foundation year!

If you want to see what other choices and options you have in becoming a teacher or joining a teacher training degree here is our Entry Requirements for Primary Education & Teaching: https://www.coventry.ac.uk/cus/cours.../?term=2022-23

If you want to look at our other teaching degrees and their options here is the link for that too: https://www.coventry.ac.uk/study-at-...earch=teaching

I hope this helps! If you want anymore help or advice, feel free to reply to this and either me or another ambassador will get in touch.

El
Oh wow! Thank you so much for getting back to me Eleanor. I wrote this comment hopelessly thinking nobody would reply, so this has given me some pause for thought.

Ideally what I am looking to do is to get myself onto a PGCE programme. I have enrolled (again!) onto a GCSE equivalency course and fingers crossed i'll pass (finally!). If this doesn't materialize, I will definitively consider the foundation and your comment really has inspired me that there be light at the end of the tunnel after all!

You may not know the answer to this (i'm just quizzing you while I have you. Ha!) but apparently I need references which will give the institution i'm applying to some idea as to my suitability for the post but I know my employers don't write conventional references in the sense that they will confirm my suitability. All they will provide is the dates of my current employment, the reason I left and my job position. I'm guessing this isn't enough? This is probably out of your remit, but any tips or hints (if you know!) would be hugely appreciared?

I'm hoping that in the next few years I will be an NQT. I still dream....
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi Golden_Zebra,
First of all, you only need a GCSE in Science if you are looking to teach Primary. Have you considered teaching Secondary, you only need GCSE Maths and English grade C/4 or above?
When you have attempted the GCSE Science, did you attempt the dual award or the single award? A single award in your strongest science would suffice to meet the minimum entry requirements. Most people in your situation tend to opt for the GCSE Biology as it is often perceived as the most accessible science.
I would suggest that you register on the Get into Teaching website to get a teaching adviser. All our advisers are experienced teachers and they will be able to support you through the application and interview process. We are very familiar with the challenges faced by career changers so do not hesitate to register. It is a free service.
Laure
PrimaryITE
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Probably obvious, I know, but you need the science at Primary because you have to be able to teach it As well as the subject knowledge, it is the scientific enquiry skills that you'll need to be able to draw on. If you are struggling to find interest in learning science for yourself, even knowing that learning it will get you to where you want to go, then how are you going to make science interesting to children who are not as invested in learning it?

Have you tried watching any of the educational science programs to help you? Some of those aimed at children may help you with your subject knowledge and spark your engagement into wanting to learn more about the subject (e.g. Deadly 60, Absolute Genius)

You personal statement is going to be the main contributing factor for if you get an interview. If you have not already, look to spending some time in a school. When writing about your experience focus on what you learnt from your experience (not I helped a group with their maths and it was great to see their faces when they understood something I explained). You also might be able to ask a teacher there then to provide your second reference for your application.
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Golden_Zebra)
Oh wow! Thank you so much for getting back to me Eleanor. I wrote this comment hopelessly thinking nobody would reply, so this has given me some pause for thought.

Ideally what I am looking to do is to get myself onto a PGCE programme. I have enrolled (again!) onto a GCSE equivalency course and fingers crossed i'll pass (finally!). If this doesn't materialize, I will definitively consider the foundation and your comment really has inspired me that there be light at the end of the tunnel after all!

You may not know the answer to this (i'm just quizzing you while I have you. Ha!) but apparently I need references which will give the institution i'm applying to some idea as to my suitability for the post but I know my employers don't write conventional references in the sense that they will confirm my suitability. All they will provide is the dates of my current employment, the reason I left and my job position. I'm guessing this isn't enough? This is probably out of your remit, but any tips or hints (if you know!) would be hugely appreciared?

I'm hoping that in the next few years I will be an NQT. I still dream....
Hi there!

Sorry for the late response, I was moving back home from Coventry for the holidays so I was unable to come back on.

I'm so glad that my reply has given you some hope and I do really hope that you pass! I'm sure you will as you have the passion it seems- especially since you've come on here to ask for guidance. I wish you the bets of luck and hope you pass and get the life you want soon!

It's not my speciality to say if that is enough or not but from my sister (whose just became a teacher and just finished her first term!) she says that she believes it'll be enough- she got a reference from her recent job but didn't get one from her older job. It would be ideal to get a reference and it's unusual for your old job to not give one but I feel like that's more on them than you. As long as you have the evidence you worked there and what your title was it'll surely be enough. It would make sense for you to not be limited by your choices just because your job didn't give you enough of a reference so hopefully they will take what you have and understand!

I hope this is a helpful answer back to you, I hope you have a wonderful holiday and like usual please reply if you want more answers- I'm currently unable to get in touch with the people above me about answers but once the holidays are over I will be able to and will be able to give you more professional reponses.

Thanks,

El
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.87%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (212)
46.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads