The Student Room Group

stereotypes of universities

HI!! I'm not from the UK so I'd really love to know the stereotypes of the universities in England (both bad and good). Hopefully this will help me get less detached to each unis HAHAHA.

Scroll to see replies

Imperial, Durham, Bath, Exeter = For Oxbridge rejects.

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)
Durham: Goes to Newcastle every weekend because there's nothing to do in Durham :biggrin:
Original post by hungrysalamander
Durham: Goes to Newcastle every weekend because there's nothing to do in Durham :biggrin:

Durham sounds so cool ngl.... like people who went there make it sound so cool
Original post by summerbirdreads

Spoiler

You forgot UCL, KCL, and LSE.
Leeds for the fun loving people and druggies

Spoiler

St Andrews= Oxbridge wannabe.

Spoiler

Well, three of them are great unis at least :tongue:
Durham sounds so cool ngl.... like people who went there make it sound so cool

They don't even have a Mcdonald's because there's too many posh people there
Exeter is stereotyped as being full of upper-middle class white students who wear puffer jackets and joggers/leggings everywhere and went on "gap yah's"....because it is.
Original post by artful_lounger
Well, three of them are great unis at least :tongue:

I did say that
Original post by ROTL94
You forgot UCL, KCL, and LSE.

People actually want to go to LSE without being Oxbridge rejects.
I did say that

You said all, I said three :wink:

I will leave it as an exercise to the reader to work out which one is less great than their marketing team spend a lot of money trying to convince students they are...
LSE= posh rich international students
Original post by hungrysalamander
They don't even have a Mcdonald's because there's too many posh people there

They have some other potato thing they all seem to hype up.
nice link :smile:

Quite about about Unis in UK is in their history and affiliations, there's over 100 of 'em

The really old ones (Oxbridge, Durham, Edinburgh etc etc) think they are the best. Lots of history and character, but under grad teaching isn't always the best because the academics are "proper academics"

Russell Group is similar actually, but not all of them are old. They came in to existence to win more research money and make good post grad destinations for that reason - and because the overseas league tables focus on research quality more than teaching they sometimes get ranked higher than they deserve

Then you have the "Red Brick" Unis, these were build in the 1950s 1960s, modern in their time, brought new subjects and new approaches to teaching Unis in the UK - eg Warwick, Loughborough, Bath.

Then you have the "post 92" Unis, who were originally Polytechnics (where the folks who weren't "good" enough to get in to "proper" Unis went). They used to teach the practical stuff, bought in more innovations with subjects and teaching - their leaders have spent years trying to get away from that and become more "proper" Unis, which is a shame because they bring something special to the HE sector

Roll forward to 2020s and nearly 50% of UK 18 years olds go to Uni (was <10% 30 years ago). The post 18 education choices have never been so huge
Original post by sandrynaalivia
HI!! I'm not from the UK so I'd really love to know the stereotypes of the universities in England (both bad and good). Hopefully this will help me get less detached to each unis HAHAHA.

Hi there,

I am slightly bias because I do go to University here and absolutely love it - but Liverpool was voted the 2nd friendliest UK city in the 2021 Conde Nast Traveller Readers' Choice Awards, and so the stereotype that Scousers are warm and welcoming is most certainly true; most people in Liverpool are super friendly!

Ana :smile:
UoL Ambassador.
Reply 18
Original post by LittleSkink
Then you have the "Red Brick" Unis, these were build in the 1950s 1960s, modern in their time, brought new subjects and new approaches to teaching Unis in the UK - eg Warwick, Loughborough, Bath.

Only if you use that recent, weird classification which has any pre-92 place as 'red brick'. The original redbricks are 19th Century places built in the industrial centres: Liverpool, Manchester Vic, Brum, Leeds etc
Reply 19
Oxbridge people are tryhards

Quick Reply

Latest