how to explain why my research is importnant in my disseratation?

Watch this thread
lordwho101
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I am currently talking about how regulation impacts banks activities in the UK. I suck on why my research is important. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on how I explain why my research is important
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
Do you not think your research is important? Because if you can't answer this question, no one can...
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by lordwho101)
I am currently talking about how regulation impacts banks activities in the UK. I suck on why my research is important. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on how I explain why my research is important
Hi!

Try and think about what your dissertation will contribute to?
What are you finding out? What will this impact? Will it recognise the need for further research surrounding the topic?
think about what is missing in previous research surrounding the topic. You should be puzzling research together almost and identifying the missing pieces.
If you are struggling then speak to your tutor or supervisor.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
lordwho101 Ask yourself a number of questions:

Why am I doing the research?
What problem am I solving?
Why should anyone else by interested in this research?
How can my results help solve someone else's problem?

The first two questions will help you understand what you are doing from your own personal perspective, as well as establishing the context of the work. The latter two will help you establish why someone else would be interested in your work.

In short, ask What? and So what? about your research. You can think about it in the context of how your research will help individual people, or how it could help certain groups of people or organisations. Think of who the stakeholders in your research are, so who could be affected and how. You can talk about if your research could influence policy or if it would show a need for new regulations.

Also, use your literature review to show that you chose your research because previous research indicated more research in this area was needed or you found this research was a missing part in this field.

- Rosie
Sheffield Hallam Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (18)
19.15%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (32)
34.04%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
5.32%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
2.13%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (9)
9.57%
Reading articles about what steps to take (18)
19.15%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
4.26%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
6.38%

Watched Threads