English Language Analysis

Watch this thread
noodlestopshop_
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi all,
I need some help with analysing texts in English Language. I do the Cambridge International AS-Level syllabus and I'm really struggling when it comes to structuring an effective answer. The syllabus changed the structure of questions this year, so I have no access to any form of past papers to view candidate examples. Basically, I can easily identify techniques, but then what else do I include? My teacher told me the effect on the reader is EXTREMELY important but how do I incorporate the effect while sounding 'sophisticated'? I can state that maybe repetition helps the writer to emphasise a point etc.. but it just doesn't fit correctly. I use the PEE structure (Point - what device/technique has been used? Evidence - insert quote from the text which demonstrates the point Explanation - Why has the writer used it and what is its effect?)

I can write so much about one technique too, which is bad because then I can't condense the information down. I have to identify and explain AT LEAST 8 techniques + an introduction + a conclusion, all must fit within a 900-word limit.

I have my exams in FOUR WEEKS! Meaning I have three weeks during Christmas to revise, and I plan to put as much effort into English as possible, but with the limited resources online, I'm finding it difficult to have a place to start. Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I also repeat phrases far too often, such as "The writer uses rhetorical devices", "The writer uses alliteration", "The text", and it all makes the text feel less sophisticated and too repetitive. If anyone has any sentence starters I would really appreciate that too.

Also, if anyone is able to provide me with a sample paragraph they have written themself about any text I would really enjoy reading it, and learning some new points
Last edited by noodlestopshop_; 4 months ago
noodlestopshop_
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I hope it's ok to bump this post
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
hi
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (155)
41.67%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.55%
No (148)
39.78%

Watched Threads