The Student Room Group

A-level biology or chemistry?

Which has better degree/job prospects, which is better for psychology/neuroscience and which is better for environmental science?
Chem opens lots of doors
Original post by summerbirdreads
Chem opens lots of doors

More or less than biology?
Original post by Usernamesaredum
Which has better degree/job prospects, which is better for psychology/neuroscience and which is better for environmental science?

I think chemistry is better overall but for psychology and neuroscience, I’ve heard biology is better but I’m just going off what I hear as a Y13 with friends doing these - I don’t do either so cannot tell you for sure
More or less than biology?

Probably more but look at the entry requirements for those courses as I could be wrong. Also bio is probably more important for environmental sciences
I do both bio and chem, I think for psychology/neuroscience, biology would be better as we learn about the brain and neurones, etc, which A-level psychology students also learn so would be useful for psychology/neuroscience in uni. I think biology would also be better for environmental science as we learn about the nutrient cycles, plants, etc. At the end of the day, it's up to you, but as the above poster said, look at uni entry requirements of courses you're considering
you have to do both for neuroscience i think but there is a biopsychology in psych and a biochem unit in biology so chemistry is definitely a must for most science-related courses
Reply 7

chemistry, I do both and personally I find chemistry easier and more useful

Quick Reply

Latest