The Student Room Group

Best subjects to pick for A-levels for architecture without art

I dont want to pick art for architecture, what subjects do you recommend and what should i do for a portfolio. Im new here :smile:
physics and maths maybe chem too
Original post by sarank
I dont want to pick art for architecture, what subjects do you recommend and what should i do for a portfolio. Im new here :smile:

Why don’t you want to study art?

Architecture is a design based degree and career - if you aren’t interested in studying art then it probably isn’t a good choice of degree for you.

If you’re unable to study art because it isn’t an option for you then pick 3 subjects that you enjoy that you will find easiest to get good grades in while keeping as much free time as possible to produce a portfolio of drawings and design work in your spare time.
Original post by eternaldevotiion
physics and maths maybe chem too

Architecture is not engineering. Those A levels aren’t a good preparation for an architecture degree.
Original post by PQ
Architecture is not engineering. Those A levels aren’t a good preparation for an architecture degree.

how so?
Original post by eternaldevotiion
how so?

Architecture is a design based career and degree. Universities will usually require either a creative subject or a portfolio of work (and in some cases both).
The maths and physics involved in the degree are no more advanced than GCSE. Only ~2 universities ask for applicants to have maths OR physics on top of a creative subject/portfolio and a couple more prefer applications with maths or physics (WITH a creative subject).

The myth that physics and maths are preferred or required is a myth.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Why don’t you want to study art?

Architecture is a design based degree and career - if you aren’t interested in studying art then it probably isn’t a good choice of degree for you.

If you’re unable to study art because it isn’t an option for you then pick 3 subjects that you enjoy that you will find easiest to get good grades in while keeping as much free time as possible to produce a portfolio of drawings and design work in your spare time.

I do want to do art, but at the same time i fear that im going to have to dedicate more time to art then other subjects
Reply 7
Original post by sarank

Design & Technology, Graphic Design or some computer-based product design A Level may give you a good grounding in using creative software, as well as exploring materials and concepts whilst also allowing you to demonstrate your artistic skills.

https://www.ucas.com/explore/subjects/architecture-building-and-planning
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/architect
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by lojawa
Design & Technology, Graphic Design or some computer-based product design A Level may give you a good grounding in using creative software, as well as exploring materials and concepts whilst also allowing you to demonstrate your artistic skills.

https://www.ucas.com/explore/subjects/architecture-building-and-planning
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/architect

Thanks lol
So i can use graphic design to make a portfolio, right? Sorry im jus a bit confused
Original post by sarank
Thanks lol
So i can use graphic design to make a portfolio, right? Sorry im jus a bit confused

Maybe, some courses are very focused on conceptual/fine art style work for their architecture courses and like to see that in portfolios I believe though (e.g. UCL and Cambridge).

Also any art or design subject at A-level is going to require you spend a lot of time week on week doing work for it. So whether you do art or graphic design, I imagine the workload will be similar - just the output will be different.

I'm not whether DT would give you the creative scope to form a creative portfolio though.
Original post by sarank

My son is studying architecture and he didn't take art at A level, but then he had to spend extra time outside of his three A levels and EPQ to create pieces for a portfolio. It was a lot of additional work and stress.

Every uni will have a slightly different specification on what should be included in a portfolio so be prepared to adapt it accordingly. Also, requests for portfolios can start to come in within a couple of weeks of submitting your UCAS application, and you will be given on average two to four weeks to complete it.

The following is a link to Plymouth Uni's guidance on creating a portfolio with links to a couple of examples:

https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/ba-architecture/ba-hons-architecture-applicant-portfolio-advice

You can find lots of portfolios submitted to Manchester School of Architecture by googling manchester uni architecture portfolio blogspot
Original post by sarank
I do want to do art, but at the same time i fear that im going to have to dedicate more time to art then other subjects

You shouldn't do - possibly time over the weekend but with any creative subject you have to put in some extra work. I do Art A Level. I'd say do DT and Art, and another subject you like.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by sarank

The best advice I can give you is to definitely go for art. I done maths economics and DT. Maths and DT were great, however I wasn't really happy with economics honestly.

If I could go back and repick my options the best combination for a levels would be maths, philosophy and art. Philosophy (so I've heard) isn't very heavy in content, so some of that extra time could be dedicated to art and maths.

That's the strongest group of a levels when going for architecture, in my opinion.
Architecture has the letters A, R, and T in it

Sounds like you are going through a similar phase as me last year when I wanted to do a physics degree, despite despising maths and science...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending