Psychology or sociology a level?

Watch this thread
Usernamesaredum
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Which is better, and are both essay subjects and good for law?
Last edited by Usernamesaredum; 5 months ago
Idk131
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
Sociology is more of an essay subject than Psychology but is less well respected (really easy A level). The only essay aspect of Psychology is the 16 markers which are generally more analytical in terms of evaluating research but that is pretty much the only essay aspect of Psychology
Usernamesaredum
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Idk131)
Sociology is more of an essay subject than Psychology but is less well respected (really easy A level). The only essay aspect of Psychology is the 16 markers which are generally more analytical in terms of evaluating research but that is pretty much the only essay aspect of Psychology
Which is better for law?
rosy_posy
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Usernamesaredum)
Which is better for law?
Psychology is better for Law.
username5388068
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
They're both great subjects and both great for law too. Just depends what you like better - if you prefer to study the mind or the society.
eternaldevotiion
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
law aren't really fussed about a level subjects as such, soc and psych both give you good skills needed, and yes they're both essay subjects however soc is more oriented around essay writing
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Both good. Psychology is content-heavy, essay questions are harder than English Literature at GCSE. You'll do a lot of them in your second year. Very scientific too, a tiny bit of Maths involved. I don't do Sociology so I don't know much about it.
Last edited by HotIronOnEar; 5 months ago
rosy_posy
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Technically, there are no required subjects for law other than having at least 1 essay subject.
In order to stand a better chance of being accepted, more 'academic' essay subjects like History, English Literature, Psychology or a modern foreign language are good to take. If you are into a non-essay based subject like Maths, you can still take it but the other two subjects will preferably be essay-based for a Law application.
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Hello!

I have a BA Hons in Sociology and an MSc in Psychology. I would say that either is good, however, I know quite a few people who went into law and they said that psychology felt a more natural fit with their learning styles and the requirements of the course. Psychology often involves a greater recollection of key aspects of experiments, and a good memory for specific detail will be great for law

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
McGinger
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
For Law - there are NO required subjects and neither of these will give you any advantage over the other.
Pick 3 subjects where you feel confident of A grades, because that IS what will matter.
McGinger
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Idk131)
Sociology is more of an essay subject than Psychology but is less well respected (really easy A level).
Total rubbish.
Spciology is a very well respoected A level subject as it is essay-bassed, involves text/analytical skills and introduces many importatant concepts to students - and is not 'easier' than any other subject.
samcarolinx
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by rosy_posy)
sociology is because its more essay writting
McGinger
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Neither are 'better'.
If they were, Unis would specify 'must have an A level in ..... ' etc for Law - and they don't.
LawStudent456
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Absolutely untrue. Neither one is better than the other
LawStudent456
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by samcarolinx)
sociology is because its more essay writting
Where do you hear this **** lol
rosy_posy
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by LawStudent456)
Absolutely untrue. Neither one is better than the other
Psychology is generally considered a stronger A-level than Sociology. This doesn't mean to say that doing either subject would make much difference to the strength of a Law application, though.
LawStudent456
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Psychology is generally considered a stronger A-level than Sociology. This doesn't mean to say that doing either subject would make much difference to the strength of a Law application, though.
No it isn’t at all lol. Where is your evidence
rosy_posy
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
No it isn’t at all lol. Where is your evidence
It's the view of the subjects that people have. Psychology is considered to be a harder subject than Sociology, so people take it more seriously. Really it's just opinion
LawStudent456
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
It's the view of the subjects that people have. Psychology is considered to be a harder subject than Sociology, so people take it more seriously. Really it's just opinion
I didn’t think either were taken seriously tbh
rosy_posy
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
I didn’t think either were taken seriously tbh
Psychology has links with biology and is based on scientific experiments. Sociology is more theoretical and isn't linked to any of the sciences. So psych is taken more seriously because of that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (19)
21.11%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.22%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.56%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (21)
23.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
21.11%

Watched Threads