The Student Room Group

3rd A level choice: Sociology + Psychology + ?

Hi guys,
I'm self studying A levels abroad, and Iv'e chosen two subjects - Sociology and Psychology. I'm wondering what 3rd subject would complement these two well.
Basically, because I am studying as a private candidate, I think something without practical experiments or coursework would be ideal? Also note I am planning to study Philosophy/Theology further on ideally in a top university.
Also because I am abroad at the moment, I can only sit subjects from the CIE board or Pearson Edexcel. Any advice on what subject I should go for would be most appreciated. 😊
if you want to go into psychology maybe take geography?
well geography doesn't really seemed to be linked with sociology or psychology. But maybe it might be beneficial to have a bit of variety? I don't really know what will universities look at?
I did my A levels last year and did psychology, sociology and business
I found that they all really complemented each other really well and I liked how none of them had a practical element or coursework
I'm happy to answer any questions you have
Original post by Muaaz J Akram
Hi guys,
I'm self studying A levels abroad, and Iv'e chosen two subjects - Sociology and Psychology. I'm wondering what 3rd subject would complement these two well.
Basically, because I am studying as a private candidate, I think something without practical experiments or coursework would be ideal? Also note I am planning to study Philosophy/Theology further on ideally in a top university.
Also because I am abroad at the moment, I can only sit subjects from the CIE board or Pearson Edexcel. Any advice on what subject I should go for would be most appreciated. 😊

I think pretty much any humanity or social science subject would aid you. I would say philosophy, history or media are really good for this
maybe religious studies because ive heard there's philosophy in there
Hmmm... Some good options put forward here , much thanks for the contributions.
Just one question : how much would an A level in business help for someone looking to start a private business later?
Hmmm... Some good options put forward here , much thanks for the contributions.
Just one question : how much would an A level in business help for someone looking to start a private business later?

a level business to pursue business in the future?
Religious Studies!!! :biggrin:
Original post by samcarolinx
a level business to pursue business in the future?

yes, is that not what its for?
well geography doesn't really seemed to be linked with sociology or psychology. But maybe it might be beneficial to have a bit of variety? I don't really know what will universities look at?

I'm looking at psychology universities and apparently, they like it if u take psychology a science and geography. I think it could be because it's an essay based subject a bit like psychology.
Original post by Maykulka
I'm looking at psychology universities and apparently, they like it if u take psychology a science and geography. I think it could be because it's an essay based subject a bit like psychology.

"A levels While you don’t need to have all three sciences at A level for a psychology degree, most universities prefer at least one out of chemistry, physics, biology, or maths.

Overall, a combination of good, academic A level subjects is required. Psychology A level is desirable, but not usually required. Other preferred subjects include sociology, geography, anthropology, economics, politics, philosophy, and history. Literature A levels can be helpful because of the report writing you will inevitably be doing, and maths/statistics will help with the analytical component of the degree. General studies is usually not considered appropriate."

https://www.ucas.com/explore/subjects/psychology

Quick Reply

Latest