The Student Room Group

A levels for veterinary university

I’m a parent whose son has always wanted to be a vet so gcse has been done with this in mind.

So mocks after Christmas- obviously biology, chemistry and physics. He did maths a year early and got a 9 so is doing AS maths after Christmas too

My question is that he was thinking of dropping physics at A level and doing chemistry and biology and as he (hopefully) will get a good AS result for maths he has mentioned doing phycology as his 3rd A level, rather than Maths as he is doing the AS, now I know nothing about this subject so wondered what other’s opinions would be and whether it is a useful A level to have ? It is something he is quite interested in!

Any thoughts or comments would be gratefully received as I’m clueless !!!
Original post by hols969
I’m a parent whose son has always wanted to be a vet so gcse has been done with this in mind.

So mocks after Christmas- obviously biology, chemistry and physics. He did maths a year early and got a 9 so is doing AS maths after Christmas too

My question is that he was thinking of dropping physics at A level and doing chemistry and biology and as he (hopefully) will get a good AS result for maths he has mentioned doing phycology as his 3rd A level, rather than Maths as he is doing the AS, now I know nothing about this subject so wondered what other’s opinions would be and whether it is a useful A level to have ? It is something he is quite interested in!

Biology, chemistry and psychology are fine for vetmed, in the same way as maths would be instead of psych. He needs to take the one he has got most chance of getting an A* in, and aim for A*A*A or higher in his A levels overall. The next thing to think about will be work experience.

Have you had a look at this? It's a useful guide produced by the Veterinary Schools Council. Some of the information is slightly out-of-date (already) so it's best to cross-check it with university websites, but it gives a good overview of the process (seeing as you said you were clueless! :smile: )
Original post by hols969

The third A Level can be anything for the majority of vet schools and there is no preference for a science subject vs anything else - I believe except for Cambridge and the Scottish schools “prefer” you to have a third science subject, but it is not a necessity. It is more important to get the correct grades (A*AA-AAB with B in third subject is the general range with most being AAA) so if it is easier for your son to do psychology or another subject as his third than physics and more likely for him to get a good grade with this combination it would be better - for example I found chemistry really difficult and I wasn’t ever good at physics or maths so there was no way I’d take a third subject I’d find difficult as it would risk my grades overall. For vet med you only have to meet the grade requirements too, exceeding them will not put you “higher” up etc. I did biology chemistry psychology, got A*A*A with A in chemistry and now I’m a vet student at Liverpool :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
Biology, chemistry and psychology are fine for vetmed, in the same way as maths would be instead of psych. He needs to take the one he has got most chance of getting an A* in, and aim for A*A*A or higher in his A levels overall. The next thing to think about will be work experience.

Have you had a look at this? It's a useful guide produced by the Veterinary Schools Council. Some of the information is slightly out-of-date (already) so it's best to cross-check it with university websites, but it gives a good overview of the process (seeing as you said you were clueless! :smile: )

Wonderful thank you very much. He had a weeks vet work experience at our vet in the summer which he enjoyed, my husband knows someone who is a horse vet so hoping a weeks experience next summer too, just to see what area he may be interested in. My husband also knows a marine biologist (was in the Bahamas but now in Africa) so may try a week experience there too during his A levels (obviously parents have to go too to supervise lol, quite fancied the Bahamas!)
Reply 4
Original post by RambleAmple
The third A Level can be anything for the majority of vet schools and there is no preference for a science subject vs anything else - I believe except for Cambridge and the Scottish schools “prefer” you to have a third science subject, but it is not a necessity. It is more important to get the correct grades (A*AA-AAB with B in third subject is the general range with most being AAA) so if it is easier for your son to do psychology or another subject as his third than physics and more likely for him to get a good grade with this combination it would be better - for example I found chemistry really difficult and I wasn’t ever good at physics or maths so there was no way I’d take a third subject I’d find difficult as it would risk my grades overall. For vet med you only have to meet the grade requirements too, exceeding them will not put you “higher” up etc. I did biology chemistry psychology, got A*A*A with A in chemistry and now I’m a vet student at Liverpool :smile:

Oh interesting!! Goodness such pressure lol

Well done you and thanks so much for replying

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending