The Student Room Group

Super curriclars for Engineering

Right now, I need more super curriclars I'm planning to do the Cambridge Davidson invention challenge, physics senior in Jan and March, qnd rhe nasa space settlement. I'm doing math, fm, chem and physics. I've recently got a silver in the smc. Planning to read books as well and pursue q degree in aerospave or mechanical engineering

I need more help for super curriclars. Or is this enough, please suggest.

Also doing dfe gold worthit in year 12
Reply 1
Original post by mgcgian047
Right now, I need more super curriclars I'm planning to do the Cambridge Davidson invention challenge, physics senior in Jan and March, qnd rhe nasa space settlement. I'm doing math, fm, chem and physics. I've recently got a silver in the smc. Planning to read books as well and pursue q degree in aerospave or mechanical engineering

thats more than enough

Plenty - a silver is not worth mentioning.

Why Cambridge though? No year in industry is offered ... if you want to work in industry that's really important these days.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Plenty - a silver is not worth mentioning.

Why Cambridge though? No year in industry is offered ... if you want to work in industry that's really important these days.

No, the competition is hosted by Cambridge, I'm planning to go to Bristol with a year in industry.
No, the competition is hosted by Cambridge, I'm planning to go to Bristol with a year in industry.

Bath is better for Engineering than Bristol
Reply 5
Bath is better for Engineering than Bristol

I'll take your word. Also, how brief would the participating competitions be in the personal statement, should I include the results
Tbh further maths is probably more important then just about any super curricula. Work experience is nice if you can get it but not necessary (and tbh most work experience weeks are just engineers trying to find something random & boring to keep the student occupied for a week).

Bristol aerospace is excellent, one of the best in the UK, of course you get 5 choices. Bristol as a city probably is also the hub of the UK aerospace industry.
Original post by mnot
Tbh further maths is probably more important then just about any super curricula. Work experience is nice if you can get it but not necessary (and tbh most work experience weeks are just engineers trying to find something random & boring to keep the student occupied for a week).

Bristol aerospace is excellent, one of the best in the UK, of course you get 5 choices. Bristol as a city probably is also the hub of the UK aerospace industry.

It's not a great place to live though ...
I'll take your word. Also, how brief would the participating competitions be in the personal statement, should I include the results

Why not self-study some FMaths?
Reply 9
Original post by mnot

I'm choosing Bristol, Bath, imperial most likely my top choice.

I do have work experience in year 10 or 11, not sure but I shadowed a wide range of engineering displaces at oil and gas firm, and got hands on, made components for an oil rig. My ps looks empty, I am going to apply for a leader role in my school for stem and, possibly, an award if the competiton goes right.

Yeah, your statement was right, when I was in thay work experience, one of the contracted employees was telling me how a solenoid would function underwater then gave up half way

I live in a crap Borough anyway
Why not self-study some FMaths?

My school does more sessions in further math than any other school timetable I've seen, I also do "self study "and practise further marh questions since my math teachers host a step paper, problem solving, every wednesday
My school does more sessions in further math than any other school timetable I've seen, I also do "self study "and practise further marh questions since my math teachers host a step paper, problem solving, every wednesday

Which FM options are you doing? It's normal to have the same number of lessons of FM as every other A level.
Which FM options are you doing? It's normal to have the same number of lessons of FM as every other A level.

Edxcel further pure 1 qnd 2, I have twice rhe amount of further math lessons compared to other schools
Edxcel further pure 1 qnd 2, I have twice rhe amount of further math lessons compared to other schools

That may be true around you but is it the same number as every other A level?

You need to self-study FM mechanics then.
That may be true around you but is it the same number as every other A level?

You need to self-study FM mechanics then.

Hmm, it's rhe same, but in comparison to my peers who go to grammar schools, they have less
Hmm, it's rhe same, but in comparison to my peers who go to grammar schools, they have less

Well we don't nor do the other selective schools I know ...

Lots of clubs, bars & restaurants I think it would be a decent place to be a student, everyone I know who went to uni their rated the student life.
Original post by mnot
Lots of clubs, bars & restaurants I think it would be a decent place to be a student, everyone I know who went to uni their rated the student life.

I disagree - I don't know anyone that's enjoyed living there.

Quick Reply

Latest