The Student Room Group

Health and social care

I'm thinking of taking health and social for a level and just want to know what it's about really. Like what topics do you study and do I have to have done it at GCSE? I've tried looking at the specification but it's confusing as the btecs are structured so differently to regular courses and just don't really get it lmao. Could anyone tell me about about it pls?
Original post by _Robyn_
I'm thinking of taking health and social for a level and just want to know what it's about really. Like what topics do you study and do I have to have done it at GCSE? I've tried looking at the specification but it's confusing as the btecs are structured so differently to regular courses and just don't really get it lmao. Could anyone tell me about about it pls?

Ah surely! I’ll try to remember - I don’t know if they changed much because I left college ages ago!

So BTEC extended diploma is 2 years. As you know it will be your “A levels”. Make sure that the course you want to do at university accepts BTEC.

You will study things like communication in healthcare (styles of communication, barriers and vice versa)

Equality and diversity (study legislations and human rights)

Safety - it’s sort of like how to be safe in healthcare; concepts like hazardous substances .. hazards at work (legislation based)

Biology (anatomy and a bit of physiology)

Pharmacology (more like medicines management , how to administer them safely - legislation based)

Sociology and psychology- you will be exploring some theories in depth

Nutrition - what is healthy diet and determinants of health

Research - how to conduct research and analyse data ( soooo important when u go to uni)

Then you will have placements in care homes or wherever. What I did to escape it I got employment instead so that I would get my pocket money and still get the placement hours signed off

Depending on the course you want to pursue in future, ensue you grasp the basic concepts in all subjects - especially if considering nursing, sociology, social work, midwifery!

But enjoy because no exams, all easy essays which you can do them in one or two days.
You have different marking criteria’s

Pass, merit and distinction- always aim for distinction- although merit is often sufficient for entry at university

For GCSEs just make sure you get your maths and English. Otherwise you will have to do it whilst doing btec - I mean not difficult but saves you time :3

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Yvaa
Ah surely! I’ll try to remember - I don’t know if they changed much because I left college ages ago!

So BTEC extended diploma is 2 years. As you know it will be your “A levels”. Make sure that the course you want to do at university accepts BTEC.

You will study things like communication in healthcare (styles of communication, barriers and vice versa)

Equality and diversity (study legislations and human rights)

Safety - it’s sort of like how to be safe in healthcare; concepts like hazardous substances .. hazards at work (legislation based)

Biology (anatomy and a bit of physiology)

Pharmacology (more like medicines management , how to administer them safely - legislation based)

Sociology and psychology- you will be exploring some theories in depth

Nutrition - what is healthy diet and determinants of health

Research - how to conduct research and analyse data ( soooo important when u go to uni)

Then you will have placements in care homes or wherever. What I did to escape it I got employment instead so that I would get my pocket money and still get the placement hours signed off

Depending on the course you want to pursue in future, ensue you grasp the basic concepts in all subjects - especially if considering nursing, sociology, social work, midwifery!

But enjoy because no exams, all easy essays which you can do them in one or two days.
You have different marking criteria’s

Pass, merit and distinction- always aim for distinction- although merit is often sufficient for entry at university

For GCSEs just make sure you get your maths and English. Otherwise you will have to do it whilst doing btec - I mean not difficult but saves you time :3

Good luck!

Thank you this is so helpful! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest