Enzyme concentration increasing but enzyme activity decreasing?

Watch this thread
Anonlplxx
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Why would increasing enzyme concentration cause a decrease in enzyme activity? Doing an experiment and I have no idea why this happens, the enzyme catalyses a reaction to make one thing to a product, the product is also an inhibitor of the enzyme, is the reason because the more enzyme=the more inhibitor ie product produced therefore less enzyme activity as more enzymes are inhibited? Otherwise Idk.
XHannahR
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
Yeah, more enzyme means more product is formed. The product forms a complex with the active site of the enzyme (blocking it), thus preventing it from forming an enzyme substrate complex. Therefore rate of activity decreases.
Last edited by XHannahR; 4 months ago
Anonlplxx
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by XHannahR)
Yeah, more enzyme means more substrate is formed. The substrate forms a complex with the active site of the enzyme (blocking it), thus preventing it from forming an enzyme substrate complex. Therefore rate of activity decreases.
I don’t understand more substrate is formed? The substrate concentration remained the same in my experiment. Do you mean more complexes are formed so more enzymes are taken up and aren’t free to bind to substrates anymore? Is it nothing to do with the product also being an inhibitor of the enzyme?
Last edited by Anonlplxx; 4 months ago
sciencegcsesss
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I don’t take a Level biology but maybe that could be because there is an increased number of enzymes but still the same number of chemicals and things like that, therefore each individual enzyme is getting relatively less on its own than it means which is resulting in stunted growth and activity??
HarisMalik98
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
You're reasoning is correct, the phenomenon is called feedback inhibition; where the end product of the catalysed pathway inhibits the enzyme. Naturally, this allows a form of negative feedback control for pathways that aren't constitutively active. In this case, increasing the enzyme concentration will produce more product, which will inhibit the enzyme and lower activity.

Also, I'm certain the first poster probably meant to say "more product is formed", not substrate.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (66)
19.7%
The paper was reasonable (124)
37.01%
Not feeling great about that exam... (97)
28.96%
It was TERRIBLE (48)
14.33%

Watched Threads