The Student Room Group

Mature student- struggling to get placements & internships

I’m in my second year of Accounting BA ( Hons) degree. I’m nearly 28, on track for a 1st. I’ve worked in banking for over 7 years prior to university and I’ve participated in research projects and other extra curriculum along side my degree as well as other volunteering roles such as group treasurer for a charity. All the placements/ internships I have applied for if I make it past the million tests and get to interviews the interviewer seem to say how well I’ve did and how well I’m doing etc and ask why I want to do a placement with all my experience but then I don’t get offered the positions….
Why is this?
Am I over experienced?
Will I struggle to get a graduate role for the same reason?
Could it be something else?
If I was to struggle to get a graduate role what’s my options ?
Reply 1
What part of the country are you in? What sort of placements/ internships are you applying for? Have you applied for years in industry? What sort of work did you do in banks?
Reply 2
North East, I can’t relocate as I have children.
I’ve applied for literally everything I.e. tax, audit, general finance placements.

I’ve done the standard roles such as basic banking I.e dealing with customer… but I was trained in balancing ATMs, main branch safes and tills, also trained to do reconciliation, petty cash, daily, weekly and monthly accounts of the branch.

What’s years in industry?
Reply 3
Original post by Lauraanneb

What’s years in industry?

Years in industry are where you take a placement year between second and third year of the degree to work in a business.
Reply 4
Oh right yeah that’s what I’ve been applying for along with summer internships for next summer
Reply 5
I'm in the same boat. 27 and in my second year of a marketing degree in Northern Ireland. I've ten years work history in social care, administration, retail and hospitality. I can't move to England where all the placements generally are, so stuck trying to secure one at home. I've had next to zero luck, despite always tailoring each CV to each application using ATS software. I've come to the conclusion that they just prefer younger students, as I can't see any other reason for not having any success compared to my cohort. I plan on trying to go freelance in digital marketing to build a portfolio. Like yourself I'm sitting on a first. Made the Dean's list for year one and on track to make it for this year as well. I know it's frustrating for us older students. It just seems like we are an afterthought, well that's been my experience so far of uni anyway. I've missed out on so many opportunities for internships and panels as the age criteria is always under 25.
Original post by Lauraanneb
I’m in my second year of Accounting BA ( Hons) degree. I’m nearly 28, on track for a 1st. I’ve worked in banking for over 7 years prior to university and I’ve participated in research projects and other extra curriculum along side my degree as well as other volunteering roles such as group treasurer for a charity. All the placements/ internships I have applied for if I make it past the million tests and get to interviews the interviewer seem to say how well I’ve did and how well I’m doing etc and ask why I want to do a placement with all my experience but then I don’t get offered the positions….
Why is this?
Am I over experienced?
Will I struggle to get a graduate role for the same reason?
Could it be something else?
If I was to struggle to get a graduate role what’s my options ?

I can relate with you as im also in the exact situation as you are in. Im an accounting 2nd year student trying for a placement year and have not had any luck with over 40 applications in the last few months. Im 26 and I feel my age and previous full time experiences are stacked against me. Do you want to collaborate and work together?

Quick Reply