The Student Room Group

Transferring after designated (non-honours degree)

I royally screwed up my 3rd year at uni of glasgow and unfortunately there is no redemption. So Ill be getting a designated (non-honours) degree i.e. Bsc Engineering Studies. Is there a way for me to transfer to another uni and somehow do or redo the year and attain honours in the process. I've seen programs at King's College and Uni of Sussex etc..which are very close to mine and they do offer transfers but, What would be the probability of getting in with grades like mine (really bad)?
Any advice?
If they accepted you at all - which I doubt because you have no evidemce of ability and you would already have 'a degree' - then it would be you their year 2 and student finance isnt going to stretch that far. You may just have to accept that you have messed this up and thats what you have got. Get a job and move on - this doesn't have to determine your future.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
If they accepted you at all - which I doubt because you have no evidemce of ability and you would already have 'a degree' - then it would be you their year 2 and student finance isnt going to stretch that far. You may just have to accept that you have messed this up and thats what you have got. Get a job and move on - this doesn't have to determine your future.

I mean ive got evidence of ability ive worked on numerous engineering projects and Ive won in a team project in germany as well back in 2018 also student finance anyway is not an issue as I am an international student.
Sorry to be blunt - but what is effectively a 'failed' degree from another Uni tells any other Uni loud-and-clear that you do not have the academic ability.
Prepare yourself for No.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Sorry to be blunt - but what is effectively a 'failed' degree from another Uni tells any other Uni loud-and-clear that you do not have the academic ability.
Prepare yourself for No.

you're a bundle of joy aren't ya , lol anyway thanks mate I'll keep that in mind.
If you have an ordinary degree from a Scottish university then it’s possible to apply for entry into yr 3 of an English/Welsh/NI degree. You should do some research to find degrees where your studies over 3 years are likely to be compatible with the first 2 years of the new degree.
It’s not straight forward and some universities will not accept applications for entry into yr 3. You also need to consider the rules for student visas.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
If you have an ordinary degree from a Scottish university then it’s possible to apply for entry into yr 3 of an English/Welsh/NI degree. You should do some research to find degrees where your studies over 3 years are likely to be compatible with the first 2 years of the new degree.
It’s not straight forward and some universities will not accept applications for entry into yr 3. You also need to consider the rules for student visas.

That's the Idea
Your best bet are probably BEng (Hons) top-up courses - these are designed for people who did studies equivalent to the first two years of an English degree in the subject (e.g. DipHE, HND) so they may accept you with your background.

Most standard three year BEng courses are unlikely to accept a transfer directly into third year though.
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
Your best bet are probably BEng (Hons) top-up courses - these are designed for people who did studies equivalent to the first two years of an English degree in the subject (e.g. DipHE, HND) so they may accept you with your background.

Most standard three year BEng courses are unlikely to accept a transfer directly into third year though.

I dont mind redoing 2nd year so thanks for this ..
If finance is an issue, and top up degrees are not suitable for you, then you could maybe look at the Open University. They have an accredited engineering degree which is likely to be cheaper, you could even study part time and get a job in an engineering relevant area. Don't know how much credit you could transfer in, but doesn't hurt to ask them :smile:

Quick Reply