Im moving to India from the UK after finishing my GCSEs and just starting my A Levels

Watch this thread
Hans Lingam
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I would like some help regarding:- which board to choose- what the change of difficulty will be like- how to tackle the transition - any common mistakes/ misconceptions
Conopsapy
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Hans Lingam)
I would like some help regarding:- which board to choose- what the change of difficulty will be like- how to tackle the transition - any common mistakes/ misconceptions
1. 'Which board to choose': Once you have picked your A level's do a google search on the number of entries for each exam board for that A level. The one with the highest entries is the one you want to pick as it more common to have more online resources and also have a reputation in the respective field. Also to note, the main boards in the UK are: AQA, Edexcel, OCR and then a little along the line is CIE (Cambridge International A levels).

2. 'what the change of difficulty will be like': The step from GCSE to A-level is big. You won't be able to get away with putting in little work/revision if you did in GCSE. Be prepared to work but with a schedule fitted to you, if you stay on top of it then A level's will be just fine.

3.'how to tackle the transition': I'm not sure what you mean? How will you be studying these A levels, at a sixth form? College? At home by yourself? If you're attending a college/sixth form they will help you with this of course. If you're self studying, you will need to buy textbooks for the respective A level and specific exam board (make sure you get the specific exam board textbook as sometimes there can be differences in specs, exam style). Furthermore you will need to find a centre to pay and sit the exams if you choose to self-study as you will be considered a 'private candidate'.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
Will you even be able to choose the board? Normally it’s your school or college that chooses the board so you have no say in it unless studying at home
username5706823
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
Will you even be able to choose the board? Normally it’s your school or college that chooses the board so you have no say in it unless studying at home
OP is moving to India... I don't think OP will even have many exam boards to choose from
vidi2020
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
First, you need to find a school that teaches CIE OR EDEXCEL INTERNATIONAL in India .. it's normally in an international school.
Secondly, you need to think about what's after. Do you want to go to a UK uni? if so this is the wrong move buddy.
Last edited by vidi2020; 6 months ago
vidi2020
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by summerbirdreads)
OP is moving to India... I don't think OP will even have many exam boards to choose from
theres only 2
username5706823
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by vidi2020)
First, you need to find a school that teaches CIE OR EDEXCEL INTERNATIONAL in India .. it's normally a private school.
Secondly, you need to think about what's after. Do you want to go to a UK uni? if so this is the wrong move buddy.
OP will have to pay the international fees....
vidi2020
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
OP will have to pay the international fees....
exactly!! but tbh if the OP is still foreign with no British citizen they will still be under the international bracket
Hans Lingam
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Conopsapy)
1. 'Which board to choose': Once you have picked your A level's do a google search on the number of entries for each exam board for that A level. The one with the highest entries is the one you want to pick as it more common to have more online resources and also have a reputation in the respective field. Also to note, the main boards in the UK are: AQA, Edexcel, OCR and then a little along the line is CIE (Cambridge International A levels).

2. 'what the change of difficulty will be like': The step from GCSE to A-level is big. You won't be able to get away with putting in little work/revision if you did in GCSE. Be prepared to work but with a schedule fitted to you, if you stay on top of it then A level's will be just fine.

3.'how to tackle the transition': I'm not sure what you mean? How will you be studying these A levels, at a sixth form? College? At home by yourself? If you're attending a college/sixth form they will help you with this of course. If you're self studying, you will need to buy textbooks for the respective A level and specific exam board (make sure you get the specific exam board textbook as sometimes there can be differences in specs, exam style). Furthermore you will need to find a centre to pay and sit the exams if you choose to self-study as you will be considered a 'private candidate'.
alright so me and my dad talked this thru and i have a choice between, CBSE where its more mainstream and i have to get into coaching centres which will help me also prepare for the entrance assessments in the long run. the other option is IGCSE where its similar to what im doing here, but it will be harder to graduate in india after doing a-levels since less colleges accept it.

btw: the subjects i do here are physics, maths and physical education
Hans Lingam
Rep:
(Original post by harrysbar)
i have to choose which school to go to which means i can choose which board i wanna do
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
alright so me and my dad talked this thru and i have a choice between, CBSE where its more mainstream and i have to get into coaching centres which will help me also prepare for the entrance assessments in the long run. the other option is IGCSE where its similar to what im doing here, but it will be harder to graduate in india after doing a-levels since less colleges accept it.

IGCSEs are GCSEs. It stands for "International GCSE". It's the same level as UK GCSEs so if you already have GCSEs, you're actually going backwards in your educational path...
username5706823
Rep:
Report 5 months ago

You planning to go to uni in India?
username5706823
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
IGCSEs are GCSEs. It stands for "International GCSE". It's the same level as UK GCSEs so if you already have GCSEs, you're actually going backwards in your educational path...
PRSOM... I was about to say that.

OP you need to do International A-levels not IGCSEs.
Hans Lingam
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
yes it is called international gcses however the a levels are covered in these unlike the ones in the uk where its separate
Hans Lingam
Rep:
You planning to go to uni in India?
most likely yes
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
yes it is called international gcses however the a levels are covered in these unlike the ones in the uk where its separate
That's not how they work...International A-levels (IAL) exist and are separate to International GCSEs (IGCSEs). There is no integrated GCSE-A-level curriculum (international or otherwise) called "IGCSE". They are two separate qualifications - it may be after you do IGCSEs you would do IALs, however since you have regular GCSEs you can just do IALs directly...
Last edited by artful_lounger; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (13)
29.55%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (17)
38.64%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4.55%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4.55%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (3)
6.82%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
13.64%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2.27%

Watched Threads