should i make flashcards

Watch
ukii
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
upcoming exams... have flashcards proven to be effective, or are they simply a waste of time?

A-level student -- thanks!

summerbirdreads
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Depends tbh.. they've proven to be a waste and effective to me though.
0ptics
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ukii)
upcoming exams... have flashcards proven to be effective, or are they simply a waste of time?

Surprised to see you as the OP! I better try my best to give worthwhile advice then lol.

What have you tried so far with flash cards? IMO, flash cards are effective but only when used properly i.e. actually using active recall with them. The reason why I find it to effective in that circumstance is because I know I’ll be able to comprehend (and even remember) it since I’ve wrote it in my own words.

Simultaneously, flash cards also has a downside, the downside being that they’re meant to be quick and snappy, hence you end up with tons of flash cards if you actually want to cover a lot of the content. Most of the time, the fact that there are lots of flash cards can deter and demotivate me from using them since my brain wants to take the easy route and ignore all of that hassle (of course).

Overall, I guess they can be effective but it’s still a subjective question and, of course, flash cards still has to be coupled with other revision methods to obtain a long-term memory.
Last edited by 0ptics; 1 month ago
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ukii)

Which subject? No good for Maths imho
ukii
Rep:
(Original post by 0ptics)
Surprised to see you as the OP! I better try my best to give worthwhile advice then lol.

What have you tried so far with flash cards? IMO, flash cards are effective but only when used properly i.e. actually using active recall with them. The reason why I find it to effective in that circumstance is because I know I’ll be able to comprehend (and even remember) it since I’ve wrote it in my own words.

Simultaneously, flash cards also has a downside, the downside being that they’re meant to be quick and snappy, hence you end up with tons of flash cards if you actually want to cover a lot of the content. Most of the time, the fact that there are lots of flash cards can deter and demotivate me from using them since my brain wants to take the easy route and ignore all of that hassle (of course).

Overall, I guess they can be effective but it’s still a subjective question and, of course, flash cards still has to be coupled with other revision methods to obtain a long-term memory.
We meet again

I used to have many sets of flashcards on Quizlet... but that was a while ago. I've seen my friend use Anki, which periodically come up with flashcards, based on your memory retention, which i think sounded constructive.

Yeah, i see what you mean. Piles of flashcards would put anyone off, but you're also right, having them in your own words certainly helps to remember facts, since they are written by you.

Of course, they wouldn't be my soul source of revision, that would be disastrous.

Thanks for the response
ukii
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
Which subject? No good for Maths imho
CS, Maths, Physics

Definetly not Maths!

But the other two have a theory side to them, so I thought it would help to break those down into little flashcards.
Last edited by ukii; 1 month ago
Tx-dd
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If you put flashcards into subsets I find it helpful, for example, I’m studying anatomy and physiology and have around 150 flashcards but I put them into groups such as “The digestive system” or “The lymphatic system”. Instead of piling the whole flashcards on top of each other I just pick a set I find earthier hard or very difficult and just focus on those cards! I tend not to look at subjects on my flashcards such as the digestive system as it’s fairly simple. Overall, I find them effective if you use them properly, hope this helps.
Last edited by Tx-dd; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (39)
23.08%
Note taking apps (5)
2.96%
Flashcards (29)
17.16%
Revision guides (5)
2.96%
Past papers (85)
50.3%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
3.55%

Watched Threads