Will there be the opportunity to sit A level exams In autumn of 2022? Urgent help!

Watch
Conopsapy
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
1. I assumed that A levels were offered conventionally in autumn alongside A levels in summer but a thought just struck me. Were all A level exams only offered in this years autumn series because of the 2021 summer exam cancellations. I am a private candidate and I want to sit my self-studied A level exams in the autumn of 2022 so I can get my results in December and apply to university in December 2022 before the cycle ends. So my question, all A level exams are usually offered to be sat in the Autumn series correct?

2. I finished sixth form last year in summer 2021. I'm at uni now and self studying A level's hoping to take exams in October 2022 (take a year out of uni) then apply and back into my new uni. So my 2nd question is - if there are A level exams in autumn 2022, does it matter that I am a private candidate or are the A level exams only offered to those who sat A level exams in summer 2022?
Last edited by Conopsapy; 4 weeks ago
Conopsapy
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
(Original post by Conopsapy)
1. I assumed that A levels were offered conventionally in autumn alongside A levels in summer but a thought just struck me. Were all A level exams only offered in this years autumn series because of the 2021 summer exam cancellations. I am a private candidate and I want to sit my self-studied A level exams in the autumn of 2022 so I can get my results in December and apply to university in December 2022 before the cycle ends. So my question, all A level exams are usually offered to be sat in the Autumn series correct?

2. I finished sixth form last year in summer 2021. I'm at uni now and self studying A level's hoping to take exams in October 2022 (take a year out of uni) then apply and back into my new uni. So my 2nd question is would if there A level exams in autumn 2022, does it matter that I am a private candidate or are the A level exams only offered to those who sat A level exams in summer 2022?
Bump!
EOData
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(In UK) Normally A levels are only available in the Summer. In 2020 and 2021 there has been an Autumn exam season ONLY for people wanting to improve on their grades from the previous Summer. Your chances of being able to take Autumn A levels ins 2022 without taking them in Summer 2022 are very, very slim.
Conopsapy
Rep:
(Original post by EOData)
(In UK) Normally A levels are only available in the Summer. In 2020 and 2021 there has been an Autumn exam season ONLY for people wanting to improve on their grades from the previous Summer. Your chances of being able to take Autumn A levels ins 2022 without taking them in Summer 2022 are very, very slim.
And do you think they will offer A level’s in autumn 2022
EOData
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
And do you think they will offer A level’s in autumn 2022
Honestly don't know this time last year I was sure Summer 2021 exams would go ahead - but as they are highly likely only to be open to people who took Summer 2022 exams they won't be any use to you as a first entry option.
thegeek888
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Are you sure? Because some centres in London that take 100s of Private Candidates will and have allowed Autumn candidates despite not sitting any Summer exams?!
Conopsapy
Rep:
(Original post by thegeek888)
Are you sure? Because some centres in London that take 100s of Private Candidates will and have allowed Autumn candidates despite not sitting any Summer exams?!
Wait really! omg can anyone confirm this?
thegeek888
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Wait really! omg can anyone confirm this?
Yes I was told: "Where there is the intention of the candidate to have sat the exams in the summer session, they should be able to sit the exams also to improve their grade (s) in the autumn session."
EOData
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
They were only meant to make an exception in rare cases - e.g. the candidate entered for the Summer exams but it then wasn't possible to get sufficient evidence for CAGs. People rocking up in August and asking to enter for Autumn exams were a definite no.
Conopsapy
Rep:
They were only meant to make an exception in rare cases - e.g. the candidate entered for the Summer exams but it then wasn't possible to get sufficient evidence for CAGs. People rocking up in August and asking to enter for Autumn exams were a definite no.
So pretty much the only way to get into those exams is if you've entered for the summer 2022 series and then the summer 2022 series doesn't go ahead...
EOData
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
So pretty much the only way to get into those exams is if you've entered for the summer 2022 series and then the summer 2022 series doesn't go ahead...
AND they decide that that the Summer arrangements are flaky enough that they have to offer the safety net of Autumn exams
thegeek888
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
AND they decide that that the Summer arrangements are flaky enough that they have to offer the safety net of Autumn exams
Surely you're not an exams officer at your school or college?! Because you should be able to sit the Autumn exams, as long as you had intentions of sitting the Summer exams?! Otherwise it is extremely unfair on candidates who just want to sit the exams!
thegeek888
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
“This also applies to those students who exam boards believe would have sat exams in summer 2021 had they not been cancelled.”

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice...autumn-of-2021
EOData
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Surely you're not an exams officer at your school or college?! Because you should be able to sit the Autumn exams, as long as you had intentions of sitting the Summer exams?! Otherwise it is extremely unfair on candidates who just want to sit the exams!
It's not down to centres. The decision on what form the Summer assessment will take and whether and how to offer an Autumn alternative is taken by the DfE for the whole of England. Centres just comply with the regulations.
EOData
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
“This also applies to those students who exam boards believe would have sat exams in summer 2021 had they not been cancelled.”

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice...autumn-of-2021
Students intending to take exams in the Summer would normally make contact with an exam centre before the end of January. People suddenly making contact for the first time in August do not count.
thegeek888
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
It's not down to centres. The decision on what form the Summer assessment will take and whether and how to offer an Autumn alternative is taken by the DfE for the whole of England. Centres just comply with the regulations.
You are mistaken!!!

Look here: "Private candidates can take exams in the autumn if you received a teacher-assessed grade in summer 2021 in the same subject or

your exam board believes that you would have taken exams this summer had they not been cancelled. This may apply to private candidates.

https://private-candidates.co.uk/aut...te-candidates/
mah1000000
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
You are mistaken!!!

Look here: "Private candidates can take exams in the autumn if you received a teacher-assessed grade in summer 2021 in the same subject or

your exam board believes that you would have taken exams this summer had they not been cancelled. This may apply to private candidates.

https://private-candidates.co.uk/aut...te-candidates/
Why would the exam board believe you would have taken summer exams if you are only turning up and applying later for the Autumn ones. The way to show your intention to sit summer exams to the exam board would be to apply to sit them by contacting them around January which is what has been said already.
username4522078
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mah1000000)
Why would the exam board believe you would have taken summer exams if you are only turning up and applying later for the Autumn ones. The way to show your intention to sit summer exams to the exam board would be to apply to sit them by contacting them around January which is what has been said already.
I mean at least he gave us a laugh by insisting he was correct then having the gall to question the professional credentials of someone else.Also don't know if it's relevant but the page linked is dated from June this year, not relevant to what's going to happen next year as it is subject to change.
Last edited by username4522078; 4 weeks ago
thegeek888
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Wow...so if we pay £350 per A-Level subject in January, we won't have to sit the Summer TAGs? There are so many conflicting and confusing sources of information about this topic online.

But more importantly it is confirmed: no oral language exams in 2022 either. This is crazy as 30% of the marks are from the oral exams.

It looks like a 2024 return to exams for everybody then. lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.41%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.69%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (139)
26.13%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.27%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (256)
48.12%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.38%

Watched Threads