The Student Room Group

is it possible to get my dissertation done on time?

ok so I have submitted a draft to my supervisor for feedback but since my project title is completely different to the project I actually completed (I was meant to look at a specific disease but ended up doing lab work about a completely different disease + different methodology) I found it difficult to do the write up and ended up with 5500 words (min in 7000, max is 10000). I have until mid january to submit it so will it be enough time?
Original post by Anonymous
ok so I have submitted a draft to my supervisor for feedback but since my project title is completely different to the project I actually completed (I was meant to look at a specific disease but ended up doing lab work about a completely different disease + different methodology) I found it difficult to do the write up and ended up with 5500 words (min in 7000, max is 10000). I have until mid january to submit it so will it be enough time?

If you can escape lab work and write a literature review, it’s possible. I wrote a 8000 words in 5 days. There are people who can do in 3 days.

Are you sure you can’t add a few more words on your background. Critique any theory and expand on your discussion? Have you gone in depth on your findings? Were your limitations detailed enough? Look at ebsco dissertations for some ideas. You got plenty of time.

Organise yourself in 3 days and just use what you have so you don’t stress yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by Yvaa
If you can escape lab work and write a literature review, it’s possible. I wrote a 8000 words in 5 days. There are people who can do in 3 days.

Are you sure you can’t add a few more words on your background. Critique any theory and expand on your discussion? Have you gone in depth on your findings? Were your limitations detailed enough? Look at ebsco dissertations for some ideas. You got plenty of time.

Organise yourself in 3 days and just use what you have so you don’t stress yourself.

thank you for the reply! I finished all my lab work last month so it's just been a struggle to get it all written down in 2 weeks for the draft deadline. I definitely need to add more background to my introduction and go in depth for my discussion but for some reason there are word limits for both (2000 and 3000 respectively) which makes it difficult to be concise + meet the overall word count. I'm not sure if I should just wait for my supervisor's feedback or if I should just continue and edit my draft. Also I'm still not 100% sure on what my project is actually about...
Original post by Anonymous
thank you for the reply! I finished all my lab work last month so it's just been a struggle to get it all written down in 2 weeks for the draft deadline. I definitely need to add more background to my introduction and go in depth for my discussion but for some reason there are word limits for both (2000 and 3000 respectively) which makes it difficult to be concise + meet the overall word count. I'm not sure if I should just wait for my supervisor's feedback or if I should just continue and edit my draft. Also I'm still not 100% sure on what my project is actually about...

Wait wait wait. How come you don’t know the project if you have done the lab work? I’m slightly confused.

Background is 2000 and discussion 3000? That is decent. Your findings are how many? Your methodology?

Ideally, it’s good to know what are you writing about otherwise it will become a hot mess. How long do you recon they may take?

Give this time as a chance to perhaps gather and read only then once you get feedback, crack on it
Reply 4
Original post by Yvaa
Wait wait wait. How come you don’t know the project if you have done the lab work? I’m slightly confused.

Background is 2000 and discussion 3000? That is decent. Your findings are how many? Your methodology?

Ideally, it’s good to know what are you writing about otherwise it will become a hot mess. How long do you recon they may take?

Give this time as a chance to perhaps gather and read only then once you get feedback, crack on it

So the lab work i did was completely different to what I was told I was going to do, both in terms of experimental methods and aims. While I understand what I did in the lab, the papers I was given as background readings look at a completely different disease- the disease is thought to be linked to the one I looked at during lab but i don't know what to write about since I looked at just the one disease and not the two together (i.e do I write about the disease I did lab work on or the disease I was told the project is on, it's difficult to say that one disease is linked to the other when I literally did not look at one of them). Not sure if that makes sense.
My methods are about 1000 words and results around 1400 (there's not word limit for these sections) so I guess I need to work on the discussion section (1650 words so far...) I'm hoping for feedback by next week so I'm planning on spending time replanning +researching this weekend. The biggest issue is just knowing what to write about

Quick Reply

Latest