The Student Room Group

A Level Literature (OCR) - Good revision guides?

Hi all,

I am taking A Level Literature and study: A Doll’s House, Rossetti’s poetry, Dracula, Outer Dark, Twelfth Night(? Either this or A Midsummer’s Night Dream) and for coursework I study A Streetcar Called Desire and Purple Hibiscus. I have made this thread because I am just wondering what type of revision guides I should get. I didn’t use any at GCSE - just Mr Salle’s videos on YouTube and I didn’t really need anything else. I did also buy his revision guide for GCSE Literature and I’ve still got it (it also had a section on critics). Now I’m thinking that because of the independent nature of A Levels (especially AL Lit) and the requirement to read critics’ opinions/academia I am thinking that I might be better if just reading those type of things (and my college has provided a lot of access to academic resources)?
Essentially, with how independent a learner of this qualification is, relying on other people for your own analysis seems like it will just make you dependant and not really develop as a student.

But at the same time, I glimpsed someone’s ‘York Notes’ guide on A Doll’s House and the analysis seemed really good and detailed, and I’m thinking they might be good to secure a foundational/core understanding of the text before moving on to really advanced essays/concepts. What do you think of York Notes Guides?

On Amazon there is also a book by Mark Roberts called ‘You can’t revise for A Level Literature! Yes you can, and Mark Roberts shows you how: For the 2022 exams’. Has anyone read this, and if so would you recommend it?

Thank you!!!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by sciencegcsesss
Hi all,

I am taking A Level Literature and study: A Doll’s House, Rossetti’s poetry, Dracula, Outer Dark, Twelfth Night(? Either this or A Midsummer’s Night Dream) and for coursework I study A Streetcar Called Desire and Purple Hibiscus. I have made this thread because I am just wondering what type of revision guides I should get. I didn’t use any at GCSE - just Mr Salle’s videos on YouTube and I didn’t really need anything else. I did also buy his revision guide for GCSE Literature and I’ve still got it (it also had a section on critics). Now I’m thinking that because of the independent nature of A Levels (especially AL Lit) and the requirement to read critics’ opinions/academia I am thinking that I might be better if just reading those type of things (and my college has provided a lot of access to academic resources)?
Essentially, with how independent a learner of this qualification is, relying on other people for your own analysis seems like it will just make you dependant and not really develop as a student.

But at the same time, I glimpsed someone’s ‘York Notes’ guide on A Doll’s House and the analysis seemed really good and detailed, and I’m thinking they might be good to secure a foundational/core understanding of the text before moving on to really advanced essays/concepts. What do you think of York Notes Guides?

On Amazon there is also a book by Mark Roberts called ‘You can’t revise for A Level Literature! Yes you can, and Mark Roberts shows you how: For the 2022 exams’. Has anyone read this, and if so would you recommend it?

Thank you!!!

I’ve got the York Notes one for A Doll’s House and I’ve found it really useful! In general, the York Notes have been great and I used it a lot for my American Literature contextual elements, helping me get an A* in my recent essay comparing ‘The Grapes of Wrath’ and ‘The Great Gatsby’ (I’m in Y13 so we have finished studying these). I’ve also been using Mr Bruff’s Guide to A-Level English Literature and found that absolutely invaluable!

For GCSE I also used Mr Salles Teaches English btw and I’ve found these textbooks a good transition, I wish Mr Salles did A-Level Literature though!
Reply 2
Hey I achieved an A* in a level english literature through using the notes that I made which are basically a combination of my class notes, extra reading, exemplar essays and revision guides. I did ocr dracula, the bloody chamber, a dolls house and paradise lost books 8

https://depop.app.link/3KaPSWzkanb
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by rahdx
Hey I achieved an A* in a level english literature through using the notes that I made which are basically a combination of my class notes, extra reading, exemplar essays and revision guides. I did ocr dracula, the bloody chamber, a dolls house and paradise lost books 8

https://depop.app.link/3KaPSWzkanb

I’m selling my notes on depop if you’re interested xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending