Natural sciences Cambridge with only two science-math subjects

Watch this thread
ygdshd
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I do physics, math and AS Further Maths (if that means anything). What are my chances for getting into Physical NatSci at Cambridge, and what can I do increase them?
Last edited by ygdshd; 5 months ago
username5706823
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
Can't you just continue the AS FM?
ygdshd
Rep:
(Original post by summerbirdreads)
Can't you just continue the AS FM?
My school doesn’t provide FM and I have literally just begun teaching myself the AS. I’ve been considering taking the full A Level but teaching myself A Level Maths on my own sounds terrifying. Is it worth giving it a go?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ygdshd)
I do physics, math and AS Further Maths (if that means anything). What are my chances for getting into Physical NatSci at Cambridge, and what can I do increase them?
You don't meet the entry criteria with 2 A levels and an AS level, so your chances are zero. You're going to struggle to get onto a full undergraduate programme with only 2 A levels, so it is definitely worth your while studying for the full A level. You need to take all three A levels in the same sitting really. Can you afford a tutor to help you with the A level? If you only want to carry on with the AS, then you could look at a foundation degree.

For Cambridge, even if you did the full A level, the majority of offer holders have four A levels at A*A*A*A or higher, and so you still wouldn't be a particularly competitive candidate with three.

I think you'd be better off doing the full three A levels, and aiming for the highest grades you can. Apply to more realistic universities for your academic profile.
ygdshd
Rep:
(Original post by Reality Check)
You don't meet the entry criteria with 2 A levels and an AS level, so your chances are zero. You're going to struggle to get onto a full undergraduate programme with only 2 A levels, so it is definitely worth your while studying for the full A level. You need to take all three A levels in the same sitting really. Can you afford a tutor to help you with the A level? If you only want to carry on with the AS, then you could look at a foundation degree.

For Cambridge, even if you did the full A level, the majority of offer holders have four A levels at A*A*A*A or higher, and so you still wouldn't be a particularly competitive candidate with three.

I think you'd be better off doing the full three A levels, and aiming for the highest grades you can. Apply to more realistic universities for your academic profile.
I already do 3 full A Levels already (math,physics and psychology) but I didn’t include psychology in my original post because it doesn’t count as a “science” according to Cambridge. AS Further Maths is kinda my fourth that I have decided to study on my own. That being said the entry requirements section on the website states that Physics, Math and AS Further Maths is one of the more useful combinations. Is this untrue?
Last edited by ygdshd; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads