The Student Room Group

Would you rather have £200,000 or a social life?

Simple question. If given the option, would you rather graduate with £200,000 and no student loan, but in the process of that, you must live with your parent, not drink alcohol, no girl/boyfriend and never go to a party - i.e. no uni 'experience'.

I ask this from personal experience through the last 3 years at university - I am in my final year. Due to the huge bull market, I managed to have these gains (+- 20k) - but at the cost described above. Whenever I tell people that I have never gone 'out' in university, they tell me you're missing out. I wanted to know whether it was worth it or not? Looking back I feel I should spent time at university, however both university workload and monitoring the stock market is exceptionally difficult (try it).

Was it worth it? And no I'm not Oxbridge/Londoners with wealthy parents.
Idc if I get 1 million... I won't live with my parents no matter what... I don't care about dating or drinking but I'm not living with parents.
Original post by summerbirdreads
Idc if I get 1 million... I won't live with my parents no matter what... I don't care about dating or drinking but I'm not living with parents.

£1 million! Your parents must be serial killers of something? What's so bad living with parents?
Original post by 1+x+x^2+x^3+...
£1 million! Your parents must be serial killers of something? What's so bad living with parents?

Try living with them for day.. you won't be asking questions then lol.
(edited 2 years ago)
I rather have a social life.

I can't stand my mum, let alone live with her for longer than necessary. And idc about the £200,000. I can't miss what i don't have.
£200k because I’m already living like that (except the parent part) anyways so it would be nice to get paid.
(edited 2 years ago)
@summerbirdreads @1secondsofvamps OK, remove the parents, but the rest still applies? How about now?
@summerbirdreads @1secondsofvamps OK, remove the parents, but the rest still applies? How about now?

Sign me up then....
Reply 8

As long as no parents, I'd like the £200,000 please :u:
Good to save the money. If a student spends £10 on alcohol a week, that's £1500 in 3 years. 20% yearly stock market returns means a handy £350k in 30 years.

OP, i literally spent the whole of my undergraduate degree living at home with no drinking, hardly went out i.e. did not have the "full uni experience" and i was miserable af.
It wasn't until i moved out for my postgraduate degree that i finally gained independence, peace, and I had made so many friends. I was happy, i was thriving, and most importantly, mental health had improved so much.

I honestly do not care about the money. Happiness and mental health goes above everything else for me.
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
OP, i literally spent the whole of my undergraduate degree living at home with no drinking, hardly went out i.e. did not have the "full uni experience" and i was miserable af.
It wasn't until i moved out for my postgraduate degree that i finally gained independence, peace, and I had made so many friends. I was happy, i was thriving, and most importantly, mental health had improved so much.

I honestly do not care about the money. Happiness and mental health goes above everything else for me.

:h: Agreed
The social option. I'd much rather develop as an adult by moving out, exploring relationships and changing than have money. I'll earn money.
Reply 13
£200,000.

I have a great relationship with my parents and I don’t even drink that often. Also, not going to any parties =\= not having any friends.

The whole ‘uni experience’ can be overrated imo. £200,000 > throwing up cheesy chips at 3am on the streets with a bunch of friends that are destined to drift apart after 2-3 years
£200,000.
easy choice if ur muslim
My parents tried to force a very similar uni lifestyle and inheritance ultimatum upon me.
After my violent mother had stolen my lifesavings.
The thousands of pounds that I'd worked for many years to earn so that I could afford to move out of a toxic & controlling household with no peace or privacy into uni accomodation.
I escaped 9 years ago and will never go back.
I've never lived in halls or in student only accomodation.

There's not enough money on planet earth to make me consider sharing accomodation with parents or even having them know where I live.
I'm a huge cognac, cocktails and carnage uk fan.
Won't sell my dating or sexual freedom at any price.
Although I'm happily single and my last relationship was 8 years ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending