A-Level Revision

Watch
lyd1234567
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi I am currently in Year 12, studying Maths, Biology and Chemistry. I am hoping to study medicine at university so need to get all A's at A-level. I am currently struggling to achieve these grades. I spent around 15 hours each week doing focused revision. Before I go into each test I feel like I know all of the content. At the start of the year I was achieving the A-A* but my recent tests I have been consistently achieving a B. Does anyone have any tips on how to improve my grades. I have listed below my current revision resources/ techniques.
Seneca
Quizlet
Past Exam Q
Active Recall methods
Writing out everything I know and then seeing what I've missed and memorising that
I never cram my revision and spent a lot of time doing it over the course of usually two weeks per test.
I really am not sure what else I should be doing. These techniques worked great for me at GCSE and I had some great results in the end but at A-level it doesn't seem to be working as well.
Thank you everyone!

summerbirdreads
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
You have to understand the content ig... practising lots of exam questions is also essential.
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lyd1234567)
Hi I am currently in Year 12, studying Maths, Biology and Chemistry. I am hoping to study medicine at university so need to get all A's at A-level. I am currently struggling to achieve these grades. I spent around 15 hours each week doing focused revision. Before I go into each test I feel like I know all of the content. At the start of the year I was achieving the A-A* but my recent tests I have been consistently achieving a B. Does anyone have any tips on how to improve my grades. I have listed below my current revision resources/ techniques.
Seneca
Quizlet
Past Exam Q
Active Recall methods
Writing out everything I know and then seeing what I've missed and memorising that
I never cram my revision and spent a lot of time doing it over the course of usually two weeks per test.
I really am not sure what else I should be doing. These techniques worked great for me at GCSE and I had some great results in the end but at A-level it doesn't seem to be working as well.
Thank you everyone!
A very undervalued resource is your teachers. Ask them why you're getting B's
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
If you are at consistent B’s, and seeing no improvements, you need to ask yourself some questions. Why?

Re construct how you approach revision, whether that be your methods or how you answer questions.... It may be that you need to just think about questions differently. I think that you should identify exactly what your issue is, no one here knows what it is nor do your teachers know but you do.
Last edited by CaptainDuckie; 4 weeks ago
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CatInTheCorner)
A very undervalued resource is your teachers. Ask them why you're getting B's

They’re undervalued for a reason.
CatInTheCorner
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CaptainDuckie)
Oof, sorry for OP then, my teachers were able to really help me work out why I wasn't getting the marks.
summerbirdreads
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Savage.
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Oof, sorry for OP then, my teachers were able to really help me work out why I wasn't getting the marks.

Did they help you get your grades you needed in the end ?
CatInTheCorner
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Did they help you get your grades you needed in the end ?
Out of the 6 I have, 3 did. The other 3 were catastrophic. I haven't sat A-levels yet, but it's been a lot of self study. Unfortunately, the half way split is in the form of one teacher in each subject being useless, which means a lot of self study for me!
Agashii_
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lyd1234567)
Seneca
Quizlet
Past Exam Q
Active Recall methods
Thank you everyone!
Hey
Trust me everyone at A levels goes through this same thing.
I'd recommend speaking to your teachers, ask where you're going wrong. Then make yourself a revision timetable (a realistic one you're actually going to stick to and not overwork yourself).
Make sure to spend lots of time doing PPQs because that's really the only way to get your grades up. especially for biology and chemistry (since i didnt study maths, I cant say much) you gotta know what the question is asking for and what the markschemes wants! Sometimes it's just specific phrases you need to get into your head.
I also applied for medicine last year so if you need any help with the application, tag me!
Good luck!
Last edited by Agashii_; 4 weeks ago
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Out of the 6 I have, 3 did. The other 3 were catastrophic. I haven't sat A-levels yet, but it's been a lot of self study. Unfortunately, the half way split is in the form of one teacher in each subject being useless, which means a lot of self study for me!

good luck. everyone has different experiences, I guess.
lyd1234567
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you everyone for your help I really appreciate it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (37)
22.16%
Note taking apps (5)
2.99%
Flashcards (29)
17.37%
Revision guides (5)
2.99%
Past papers (85)
50.9%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
3.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed