Represent the hydrolysis + phosphorylation of ATP as a symbol equation, including the

Watch this thread
zarahh09
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Represent the hydrolysis + phosphorylation of ATP as a symbol equation, including the relevant enzymes (2)

I dont understand what this question is asking
someone please help
_Rusty_
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by zarahh09)
Represent the hydrolysis + phosphorylation of ATP as a symbol equation, including the relevant enzymes (2)

I dont understand what this question is asking
someone please help
Ok, whats hydrolysis, phosphorylation, the enzymes involved in phosphorylation and hydrolysis of ATP?
zarahh09
Rep:
(Original post by chris01928)
Ok, whats hydrolysis, phosphorylation, the enzymes involved in phosphorylation and hydrolysis of ATP?
is it just asking for this: ATP+H2O→ADP+Pi ?
_Rusty_
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
is it just asking for this: ATP+H2O→ADP+Pi ?
Thats the hydrolysis. Hydro(water)lysis(splitting). What enzyme is involved in this?

What is phosphorylation then, taking the hydrolysis equation into account?
zarahh09
Rep:
Thats the hydrolysis. Hydro(water)lysis(splitting). What enzyme is involved in this?

What is phosphorylation then, taking the hydrolysis equation into account?
where an enzyme causes a substrate molecule to gain a phosphate group from ATP?
_Rusty_
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
where an enzyme causes a substrate molecule to gain a phosphate group from ATP?
Ok for the hydrolysis, the enzyme isn't gaining a phosphate group (think about the definition of an enzyme) what the enzyme for the hydrolysis is splitting ATP, this about the suffix of enzymes and what the enzyme is acting on and smash the two words together
Last edited by chris01928; 4 months ago
zarahh09
Rep:
Ok for the hydrolysis, the enzyme isn't gaining a phosphate group (think about the definition of an enzyme) what the enzyme for the hydrolysis is splitting ATP, this about the suffix of enzymes and what the enzyme is acting on and smash the two words together
For the question do i need to give an equation?
I am a bit confused
_Rusty_
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
For the question do i need to give an equation?
I am a bit confused
Yes and the enzymes, so you have the hydrolysis equation as stated above, from what I have said above, what enzyme do you think is involved in the hydrolysis?
zarahh09
Rep:
Yes and the enzymes, so you have the hydrolysis equation as stated above, from what I have said above, what enzyme do you think is involved in the hydrolysis?
protease?
_Rusty_
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
protease?
You're along the right lines so the 'prote' prefix is for proteins, what prefix do you think it will be for ATP?
Last edited by chris01928; 4 months ago
zarahh09
Rep:
You're along the right lines so the 'prote' prefix is for proteins, what prefix do you think it will be for ATP?
ADP?
_Rusty_
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
ADP?
Ok, ill give you the answer, and you explain to me why it is named as such. The enzyme involved in the hydrolysis of ATP is ATPase.

Why is it called ATPase?
zarahh09
Rep:
Ok, ill give you the answer, and you explain to me why it is named as such. The enzyme involved in the hydrolysis of ATP is ATPase.

Why is it called ATPase?
We haven't learnt that yet
Probably because this is prep work for when we go back
_Rusty_
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
We haven't learnt that yet
Probably because this is prep work for when we go back
Back and forth on a topic for 40 mins on soenrhing you dont need to know...
zarahh09
Rep:
Back and forth on a topic for 40 mins on soenrhing you dont need to know...
No I do need to know
Im just confused on what its asking me
_Rusty_
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
No I do need to know
Im just confused on what its asking me
Ive explained the question and if you have never heard about a component of the answer then ypu have not lesent it yet, look it up if you want to know more about it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.69%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
13.25%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
4.82%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (14)
16.87%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20.48%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.89%

Watched Threads