The Student Room Group

AMA ~ A-Levels, Computer Science, Cyber Security

Hola,

Just making this post to hopefully help others out there who are going through the same things I went through.

A little about me:
GCSEs: 11 in total (picked Media, Business, ICT, Geography) - 2013-2015
A-Levels: Maths, ICT, Economics - 2015-2017
Degree: BSc Computer Science (2:1, Russell Group London) - 2017-2020
Employment: Cyber Security Graduate Scheme - Starting Sep 2022

Feel free to ask me anything about GCSEs, A-Levels, Computer Science, Cyber Security etc.
I'll answer any questions to best of my ability, just hoping to help anyone, as I would have appreciated it during my studies.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Congratulations on achieving what you have done so far! I was wondering, I wanted to do software development as a career and I was wondering what A level choices would go well with computer science since I have been wondering for some time now.
This might be an unorthodox question, but, are the skills from computer science useful in the world of employment, aside from specific niche computer science jobs?
Original post by MrLloyd
Congratulations on achieving what you have done so far! I was wondering, I wanted to do software development as a career and I was wondering what A level choices would go well with computer science since I have been wondering for some time now.

Thanks!
So this would depend on your ability and what types of universities you will consider applying to in the future. The reason why I say this is because if your aiming for for the top unis they will require (or prefer) certain subjects, most common are; Computer Science, Maths, Further Maths.
After you consider these requirements (or not aiming for top unis), I recommend just picking subjects you enjoy or are good at. Software Engineering is technical and requires good problem solving skills, so any subjects that are similar like Physics and Economics might be useful.

Original post by 0ptics
This might be an unorthodox question, but, are the skills from computer science useful in the world of employment, aside from specific niche computer science jobs?

Good question.
Yes a lot of the skills are useful in other contexts. Obviously these skills will help with general computing professions like Software Engineering and Support.
But I would say the biggest non-technical skill is problem solving. After doing Computer Science you will see the world through another set of eyes, these eyes will identify and predict issues/problems in current situations and your brain will start to consider potential solutions. Dissecting problems and systematically weighing up considerations will be second nature to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending