The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Univeristy of Bath : I WANT TO KNOW MORE!!

I want to know more about this university!! do not mind dropping infos that you think will make me less detached to this uni <3 talk about the plus and minus, stereotypes, what major it is know for, anything!!!
First thing that’s important about Bath is there is no humanities or creative subjects. No English literature, no history etc. etc. The only subjects are basically STEM, management & business, and languages. Bath is mainly known for engineering and to some extent psychology.

This gives Bath a distinctive atmosphere with a student body that is generally more passive than other unis. People here don’t complain about things -ever- which is why Bath has a history of scandalous chancellors (we still waste like £250k a year on paying off Glynis). The students here aren’t interested in politics or protests - a lot of them are engineering students from Surrey who have never read a book for pleasure and haven’t heard of Keir Starmer. So that aspect of the student experience is kind of missing at Bath. That said, if you’re from Surrey and your chief interests are rugby and mechanical engineering then this could be a great place for you!

If you fell in love with Bath based on the pretty architecture of the city centre, I’m afraid the University itself is located outside the city on a massive hill and is a mess of 1960s brutalist architecture. This is not Oxford or Cambridge or even Durham. This was a new uni founded in the 60s in the middle of a field, it just happens to be close to Bath but it doesn’t have that history, heritage and Georgian architecture that make the city itself lovely.

Another point against Bath - the price. Bath is one of the most expensive cities in the country to live in and the prices of, rent and alcohol are especially high. The bus to campus from town also costs £350 a year and is extremely unreliable meaning that you often miss lectures through no fault of your own. Again, no one complains because it’s not that kind of student population, so nothing changes.

I’ll press on with the negatives shall I? The mental health support at this uni is particularly woeful. Essentially, it doesn’t really exist. The university seems to think getting some therapy dogs to walk around campus once a year is a sufficient replacement for actual mental health support, but even that’s stopped now with COVID. The university also handled the COVID pandemic terribly and didn’t communicate its exam policy to students until very late, as I mentioned earlier, in other unis there would be mass anger from the student population and the SU would have done something but in Bath the SU is a total joke and never does anything.

Okay so I’m now moving on to the positives. Bath is very good for high-level sport! If you’re a top swimmer, rugby player, hockey player, etc. etc. You will find the facilities and funding at Bath to thrive at your sport Bath is very competitive in BUCS for example.

The year-abroad option(if that’s on your course) is very good too. It’s the one thing the uni handled well in the pandemic. I had an absolutely amazing experience on my year-abroad and honestly this year alone kind of justified my decision to go to Bath. That said, other unis offer a year-abroad and it says a lot about Bath that the best thing about it is that you get an option to not be there for a year! Also, the year-aboard programme is deliberately under-advertised since the university likes to send its students to industrial placements as often as possible.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
First thing that’s important about Bath is there is no humanities or creative subjects. No English literature, no history etc. etc. The only subjects are basically STEM, management & business, and languages. Bath is mainly known for engineering and to some extent psychology.

This gives Bath a distinctive atmosphere with a student body that is generally more passive than other unis. People here don’t complain about things -ever- which is why Bath has a history of scandalous chancellors (we still waste like £250k a year on paying off Glynis). The students here aren’t interested in politics or protests - a lot of them are engineering students from Surrey who have never read a book for pleasure and haven’t heard of Keir Starmer. So that aspect of the student experience is kind of missing at Bath. That said, if you’re from Surrey and your chief interests are rugby and mechanical engineering then this could be a great place for you!

If you fell in love with Bath based on the pretty architecture of the city centre, I’m afraid the University itself is located outside the city on a massive hill and is a mess of 1960s brutalist architecture. This is not Oxford or Cambridge or even Durham. This was a new uni founded in the 60s in the middle of a field, it just happens to be close to Bath but it doesn’t have that history, heritage and Georgian architecture that make the city itself lovely.

Another point against Bath - the price. Bath is one of the most expensive cities in the country to live in and the prices of, rent and alcohol are especially high. The bus to campus from town also costs £350 a year and is extremely unreliable meaning that you often miss lectures through no fault of your own. Again, no one complains because it’s not that kind of student population, so nothing changes.

I’ll press on with the negatives shall I? The mental health support at this uni is particularly woeful. Essentially, it doesn’t really exist. The university seems to think getting some therapy dogs to walk around campus once a year is a sufficient replacement for actual mental health support, but even that’s stopped now with COVID. The university also handled the COVID pandemic terribly and didn’t communicate its exam policy to students until very late, as I mentioned earlier, in other unis there would be mass anger from the student population and the SU would have done something but in Bath the SU is a total joke and never does anything.

Okay so I’m now moving on to the positives. Bath is very good for high-level sport! If you’re a top swimmer, rugby player, hockey player, etc. etc. You will find the facilities and funding at Bath to thrive at your sport Bath is very competitive in BUCS for example.

The year-abroad option(if that’s on your course) is very good too. It’s the one thing the uni handled well in the pandemic. I had an absolutely amazing experience on my year-abroad and honestly this year alone kind of justified my decision to go to Bath. That said, other unis offer a year-abroad and it says a lot about Bath that the best thing about it is that you get an option to not be there for a year! Also, the year-aboard programme is deliberately under-advertised since the university likes to send its students to industrial placements as often as possible.

I was wondering, im going into like pharmacy and ive aplied for bath uni, i have been to the open day so i had an idea kind of how it was like i guess, is there any insight to it idk of, and i was wondering how is the night/social life at bath because i hear different things from different people..
Original post by namamxx
I was wondering, im going into like pharmacy and ive aplied for bath uni, i have been to the open day so i had an idea kind of how it was like i guess, is there any insight to it idk of, and i was wondering how is the night/social life at bath because i hear different things from different people..

Bath is a busy city. Lots going on, good pubs and cafes, and shopping.
Beauttiful archtecture, parks, open spaces and a good sense of community
Bristol is near enough for 'bigger' nights out. London by direct trains to Paddington and Waterloo.
Yes, living in Bath is a bit ££ but it depends what you want in life.
Original post by sandrynaalivia
I want to know more about this university!! do not mind dropping infos that you think will make me less detached to this uni <3 talk about the plus and minus, stereotypes, what major it is know for, anything!!!

Hi there! I am a final year chemical engineering student so hopefully I can provide some perspective on life at Bath.

In terms of making a decision about University, it is really important to consider what you want from your University experience. If you are looking for a big city (eg. London, Manchester etc.) with University buildings in the heart of the city, then Bath is not going to be right for you. If you like the idea of a campus University (all University buildings in the same place, potentially living on campus in first year - a campus "bubble") and a small, friendly (and very pretty) city, then Bath may be just right for you.

As someone else as said, Bath is primarily a STEM University - you will find lots of maths, science and engineering students. Bath also offers courses in management, modern languages, politics, business, social sciences and sport science so there is definitely some diversity when it comes to the courses on offer, just not so much as other Universities. On that note, Bath is a relatively small University with a student population compared to other Universities (but it's by no means small): we have over 18,000 students with 74% undergraduates. With a third of students being international, the student population is diverse (although again, probably not as diverse as other Universities).

From my experience, the range of societies and sports clubs on offer at Bath means there is something for everyone. If you have a particular interest or are interested in meeting people who are similar to you, you should be able find this in a society / sports group on campus. We have really high quality sports facilities and top level training / teams for those who are interested, but also lots of sports available for those looking to try something new and les serious. You can find the list of sports clubs here and the list of societies here. The website allows you to look through each individual club and find out what they offer, so feel free to check it out.

As I said above, Bath is a campus University. I personally love this - the campus "bubble" makes for a welcoming feel and the student population feels really welcoming. I am also not a big city person, so Bath itself suits me really well. There is enough going on (Bath has plenty of pubs, cafesm restaurants, shops and tourist attractions), coupled with joining University societies, to not get bored. There are a few clubs in Bath but they are much smaller and the range available is reduced compared with bigger cities. However, I find that if you go with a good crowd of people you will have a good night! With Bath being home to 2 Universities, the clubs have a very student heavy feel. Bristol is also 10 minutes away on the train if you are looking for something bigger.

Another big strength of the University is the placement / year abroad scheme. Taking a year out to either go and work in industry or study abroad is highly encouraged and there is a lot of support on offer to help you secure a placement and help you once you are on placement. This is a big factor as to why Bath graduates tend to have high employability. I personally completed a placement, which was a great experience and has 100% helped me in securing a graduate job for next year.

I know it can be really difficult to make a decision about University, particularly if you have not been able to visit. The first priority should be if the course is right for you: How is it taught and how is it assessed? What modules are available? How much flexibility and choice is available in the course? After that, I would suggest focussing on what I have discussed above: student life and what you are looking for from your student experience.

Hope this helps and do let me know if you have any questions!

Leah
Final Year Chemical Engineering

I’ve applied for international development with economics, and whilst academically it’s my favourite uni so far I’m quite concerned about the diversity aspect of it- especially as I’m black and live in south London, I don’t wanna be the token black girl 😭. I’ve tried checking Tiktok and YouTube for some insight but got 0. Do you think the culture shock will be a bit drastic in comparison to if I went to a uni like Warwick or Birmingham instead?
I’ve applied for international development with economics, and whilst academically it’s my favourite uni so far I’m quite concerned about the diversity aspect of it- especially as I’m black and live in south London, I don’t wanna be the token black girl 😭. I’ve tried checking Tiktok and YouTube for some insight but got 0. Do you think the culture shock will be a bit drastic in comparison to if I went to a uni like Warwick or Birmingham instead?

Bath is not a particularly diverse place. For example, there are no black people in my year on my course. I am white so I obviously can't talk about the experience of black students at Bath but in terms of quantity there are not very many black students here. Coming from London the lack of diversity is something you notice.

Hello,

Pleased to hear you are considering The University of Bath. I'm a current final year student, so please feel free to ask any questions that you have.

I would genuinely say Bath is a very diverse university, and that I have met people from many backgrounds. Firstly, 32% of enrolled students are from outside the UK and compromise 147 different nationalities. If you would like to see more specific statistics on university student numbers, you can visit this link: https://www.bath.ac.uk/publications/student-numbers/. For example, it shows 30% of students are from a BAME background. The data is as of 1 December 2020.

I hope this is helpful.

James
Final Year Student

Quick Reply

Latest