The Student Room Group

concerns during pregnancy

Hi everyone,
Im really concerned about having the covid vaccine. Im 24 weeks pregnant, I had covid back in 2020 and havent had it since, therefore i presume my antibodies and my natural immune system have been protecting us both during this time. In a global pandemic, its nearly impossible not to catch the virus especially now that there are multiple variants. It does scare me but Its not like I have zero protection,as far as Im aware i caught the virus, my body fought it by producing antibodies and then created memory cells to remember how to fight it off again if it ever comes back.

My point is my doctors and optometrists have been wrong in the past and have given me wrong advice that has actually done damage to my health. Such as insisting my contraception both implant and pill (both individually taken) wasnt causing me to become ill. My body was in fact rejecting the contraception but they wouldnt have it, saying it was something else but they couldnt tell me what because they simply didnt know yet when I came off contraception my problems had gone completely. (my body was muscle spasming and i would go stiff like a statue and couldnt move whilst it was happening, almost like a seizure in my stomach). Another time was when my optometrist a professional whod been doing it for years gave me the wrong prescription twice and someone else last year gave me the wrong prescription again causing my astigmatism to get worse. every time i went back they said your on the wrong prescription this is too far out from your actual eye sight. what the hell?!

Now im putting not only my life but my unborn babys life at risk having a vaccine that hasnt been around long enough and people are being silenced to tell other people their individual negative experiences with side affects or miscarriages. and those individual real life experiences are seen as misinformation. I want some pregnant women or women who have had babies to come forward who have had the vaccine and let me know if its safe for them. I dont know what to believe at this point i only trust those who have been in the same position im in now.
Ill have the vaccine after no problem, but my baby has no immune system and i cant risk her life with something im not certain wont have a negative affect on her development. i shouldnt have to do something i feel uncomfotable with during pregnancy and i refuse to be forced to do something that could potentially harm us both.
If you don't want the vaccine, that is entirely your choice. I don't think TSR is the right place to be asking for advice regarding this though, this is a forum that school kids visit to get help with homework and uni applications, not a forum for health professionals. Please speak to your midwife or GP and ask for a second opinion if you are not happy with the advice you have been given.
Reply 2
Original post by black tea
If you don't want the vaccine, that is entirely your choice. I don't think TSR is the right place to be asking for advice regarding this though, this is a forum that school kids visit to get help with homework and uni applications, not a forum for health professionals. Please speak to your midwife or GP and ask for a second opinion if you are not happy with the advice you have been given.

Then why is there a relationship and health section then? And im still of student age im only 21. i dont want to speak to a midwife or doctor i want to speak with people who have been pregnant and taken the vaccine. nobody else will give me real answers.
Original post by KatyyPetch
Then why is there a relationship and health section then? And im still of student age im only 21. i dont want to speak to a midwife or doctor i want to speak with people who have been pregnant and taken the vaccine. nobody else will give me real answers.

My point is that the opinions you will get here are from people who are probably not the best placed to give advice and that you are likely to get more accurate information from a health professional.
Reply 4
Original post by black tea
My point is that the opinions you will get here are from people who are probably not the best placed to give advice and that you are likely to get more accurate information from a health professional.

actually im receiving a bit advice on TSR. But health professionals wont tell me if theyve been pregnant and had the vaccine. my midwife hasnt got any children and all the other people ive dealt with are men. i want to see if theres anyone who has been in my position and has received the vaccine. whether i find that information on here or not its worth asking the question is it not from non professional but personal perspectives?
Personal experience from other users or pregnant women is not as valuable as medical advice. The known risks that come with not getting vaccinated are surely greater than potential unknown risks from getting vaccinated. Get vaccinated.
Antibodies from 2020 will be at very low levels now (immunity wains over time) plus they’re likely from old variants so even if you still had lots of them they probably wouldn’t be that effective. Pregnant women particularly those who are unvaccinated are very vulnerable to COVID and many end up in intensive care as a result. The vaccine has been given to millions of pregnant women around the world and very few have had any problems. You’re far more likely to get complications from catching COVID if you’re unvaccinated than the vaccine itself. In terms of miscarriage it could be coincidental that it occurred soon after the vaccine. Miscarriages are common so it could’ve been a coincidence.
Original post by KatyyPetch
Hi everyone,
Im really concerned about having the covid vaccine. Im 24 weeks pregnant, I had covid back in 2020 and havent had it since, therefore i presume my antibodies and my natural immune system have been protecting us both during this time. In a global pandemic, its nearly impossible not to catch the virus especially now that there are multiple variants. It does scare me but Its not like I have zero protection,as far as Im aware i caught the virus, my body fought it by producing antibodies and then created memory cells to remember how to fight it off again if it ever comes back.

My point is my doctors and optometrists have been wrong in the past and have given me wrong advice that has actually done damage to my health. Such as insisting my contraception both implant and pill (both individually taken) wasnt causing me to become ill. My body was in fact rejecting the contraception but they wouldnt have it, saying it was something else but they couldnt tell me what because they simply didnt know yet when I came off contraception my problems had gone completely. (my body was muscle spasming and i would go stiff like a statue and couldnt move whilst it was happening, almost like a seizure in my stomach). Another time was when my optometrist a professional whod been doing it for years gave me the wrong prescription twice and someone else last year gave me the wrong prescription again causing my astigmatism to get worse. every time i went back they said your on the wrong prescription this is too far out from your actual eye sight. what the hell?!

Now im putting not only my life but my unborn babys life at risk having a vaccine that hasnt been around long enough and people are being silenced to tell other people their individual negative experiences with side affects or miscarriages. and those individual real life experiences are seen as misinformation. I want some pregnant women or women who have had babies to come forward who have had the vaccine and let me know if its safe for them. I dont know what to believe at this point i only trust those who have been in the same position im in now.
Ill have the vaccine after no problem, but my baby has no immune system and i cant risk her life with something im not certain wont have a negative affect on her development. i shouldnt have to do something i feel uncomfotable with during pregnancy and i refuse to be forced to do something that could potentially harm us both.

Do you need a COVID-19 vaccine if pregnant.......

Vaccination
COVID-19 vaccines are recommended in pregnancy. Women who are pregnant should be offered their COVID-19 vaccination at the same time as non-pregnant women, based on their age and clinical risk group, in line with Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation ( JCVI ) advice.

What are the risks of a COVID-19 infection if you are pregnant............

Having COVID-19 during pregnancy carries a far higher risk than having the vaccine, particularly in the later stages where it can have serious consequences for both mother and baby. It can double the chance of stillbirth and triples the chance of a preterm birth, which can have a long-term health impact for the baby.

================ ====================
You have a bigger chance of you & baby being affected with covid19 dispite you already having it a year ago you can catch it again.
Person in #post 7 is right about what she said. ( @Sophhhowa ).

I have dealt with a mum to be only last week who had covid19 but didn't have any vaccine's since becoming pregnant but didn't think about risks to both her and unborn child dispite all the experts reassuring pregnant woman to get vaccine - she failed to tell anybody she was positive untill we did a covid19 test on her as that's unacceptable to us as well as she putting lots of others at risk as well by not informing anybody about herself being covid19 positive especially in a maternity unit full of pregnant woman.

She had to give birth and then baby taken to MICU (( maternity intensive care unit ) while she was taken to covid19 ward and still separate from her baby.
While another mum to be with all vaccines done to date didn't have any problems.
Risks is minimum to the child if protected by you getting the vaccine unlike potential complications & at worse stillborn without being protected.
But it's your decision and must take any conquetences on anything happenening to the unborn child which obviously we don't wish to see.

I can't explain if what you said is correct about your midwife you are under as you should be getting all the necessary advice about risks of vaccine and the risks if no vaccines from her. That's something I would have done as soon as you knew you were pregnant.

A NHS registered midwife
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest