The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Is it worth taking 2 years out for a uni like imperial

I’m in my foundation year of uni (year 0) and decided I didn’t like the uni & wanted to aim higher, I mean Imperial college London higher. I want to take A level exams this summer. Obviously I get my grades in august & I’m aware it is high unlikely for imperial to go into clearing especially for Computing. I’m willing to take a year & apply in December 2022 with my results however my mum won’t allow it. She doesn’t like the idea of me taking a year out but I’m trying to explain to her that if I could go to imperial it could change my life. But is there really much difference if I was to go to imperail in terms of changing the trajectory of my life, or does the uni you go to not make a difference, rather is it simply the degree at the end of the day that will land you job. I try to think 1. about all the connections I could make in being London, 2. How the hard working culture at the uni is much more my vibe 3. Related to 1 but Job opportunity’s etc being in London 4. The course, I looked at the course details & I really am interested.

Last bit: I haven’t explained that I could land an internship/apprenticeship as I feel though I understand how competitive they are & with basically 0 experience except a foundation year at a lacklustre uni is not going to help therefore I’d have no guarantees.

Any opinions/thoughts?
Would be nice if anyone has experienced the same thing?
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ok, so you're doing a Foundation year at university at the same time as taking A levels. What A levels are you taking (and what qualifications did you take originally in sixth from)?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by EOData
Ok, so you're doing a Foundation year at university at the same time as taking A levels. What A levels are you taking (and what qualifications did you take originally in sixth from)?

If you’re asking in terms of could I apply now in this cycle well nope I am studying A levels that would allow me to meet the entry requirements for computing at Imperial which currently I do not have. Therefore I need the results which will be in august 2022
Reply 3
I
M
P
E
R
I
A
L

Not imperail or imperil
You spelt Imperial in 3 different ways.. only one of them was correct. You also confused me while at it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by summerbirdreads
You spelled Imperial in 3 different ways.. only one of them was correct.

I miss-clicked, I know how to spell Imperial. If one is spelling imperial in 3 different ways, with 1 of them being correct would it not be sensible to assume that said person is perhaps typing fast & miss-clicking. Or are we going to take the childish assumption that this person doesn’t know how to spell Imperial. If I had spelt it wrong 3 times with them all being the same incorrect spelling then yes fair enough correct me but perhaps you’ve had a bad day & bringing others down may in your mind bring you higher.

P.S. this goes for both of my spell checkers.

Have a nice day.
Reply 6
Original post by Conopsapy
If you’re asking in terms of could I apply now in this cycle well nope I am studying A levels that would allow me to meet the entry requirements for computing at Imperial which currently I do not have. Therefore I need the results which will be in august 2022

No, I asked what A levels are are attempting alongside your course this year and what you've already done., On the face of it going from a Foundation year to Imperial seems very ambitious and so it would be easier to give suitable advice if I knew more about what you have done and are doing. I presume you are doing/have done Maths and that you are doing Further Maths this year?
Reply 7
Original post by EOData
No, I asked what A levels are are attempting alongside your course this year and what you've already done., On the face of it going from a Foundation year to Imperial seems very ambitious and so it would be easier to give suitable advice if I knew more about what you have done and are doing. I presume you are doing/have done Maths and that you are doing Further Maths this year?

But I haven’t asked for advice on whether what I am doing is ambitious. Can you please re-read the thread question.
Reply 8
But I haven’t asked for advice on whether what I am doing is ambitious. Can you please re-read the thread question.

I read your original question but didn't feel it gave enough information for me to give sensible advice, hence I asked for more information.

Yes, which course and university you go to matters but many other factors come into play. That's all I can say without knowing more.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
ultimately not really!
Personally i don’t think it would be worth it, as imperial is difficult to get in, particulate for something as competitive as computing, so there is a high chance that you would take another year out, but still not get it. Not worth the gamble in my opinion. There are other good unis, particularly outside London.
If you work hard enough for the next few months and sit 3 a levels next year (defo include further maths), it could be possible! Imperial is worth it honestly, in terms of employability its unbelievably good.
Just to address this point, it isn't "highly unlikely" that Imperial Computing will go into clearing. It won't. They've said on open days that they do not go into clearing.

I don't know if Imperial is valuable enough to be worth waiting a year for - there are other fantastic universities, like Warwick, or Edinburgh - your life won't be made by going to Imperial or ruined by not going to Imperial. Either way, you have to put the work in to get anything out of it. Getting what you want is far more about the kind of person you are than about which university you go to.

Someone said it's difficult to get in - I'm not sure about this. It's easier to get into than Oxbridge and harder to get into than pretty much anywhere else. Whether that is "hard" for you depends on who you are. As a first-year student on this course, I personally thought the whole process was pretty easy, far easier than Cambridge's process - but a lot of my friends who got rejected from Imperial would probably disagree!
I’m in my foundation year of uni (year 0) and decided I didn’t like the uni & wanted to aim higher, I mean Imperial college London higher. I want to take A level exams this summer. Obviously I get my grades in august & I’m aware it is high unlikely for imperial to go into clearing especially for Computing. I’m willing to take a year & apply in December 2022 with my results however my mum won’t allow it. She doesn’t like the idea of me taking a year out but I’m trying to explain to her that if I could go to imperial it could change my life. But is there really much difference if I was to go to imperail in terms of changing the trajectory of my life, or does the uni you go to not make a difference, rather is it simply the degree at the end of the day that will land you job. I try to think 1. about all the connections I could make in being London, 2. How the hard working culture at the uni is much more my vibe 3. Related to 1 but Job opportunity’s etc being in London 4. The course, I looked at the course details & I really am interested.

Last bit: I haven’t explained that I could land an internship/apprenticeship as I feel though I understand how competitive they are & with basically 0 experience except a foundation year at a lacklustre uni is not going to help therefore I’d have no guarantees.

Any opinions/thoughts?

It's very difficult to say. We don't know where you are now and what they are like for Computing for example.

To be clear, the question would more accurately be "Is it worth taking 2 years for a chance at Imperial?". In most cases I imagine that's a no unless you are very unhappy at the prospect of progressing at your current uni.

Things to take into account:

- Having achieved their AL requirement is not a guarantee of an offer
- They may not accept Foundation results from elsewhere, or consider them in combination with other qualifications

My main other concern is that trying to do 2 level 3 quals at the same time risks hampering both of them.

See all the good advice above regarding your original question, but I'm a little confused by this comment - most people applying do not currently have the grades and will get their results in August, you can just apply now with pending results (same as you probably did to get onto your foundation year).

Any opinions/thoughts?

Honestly I think it’s very unlikely you get in for Computing at Imperial and it is a very big risk… first the computing and jmc courses are the most competitive courses at Imperial by far… it’s more competitive than most oxbridge courses.. around 4000 applicants in the last cycle, 500 offers, and only around 230 got in as many miss their STEP offer… this is only going to get worse in 2022.. probs 5000 applicants by then. You also need to consider if you do manage to get past the online test and the interview and get an offer you would have to take the STEP 2 exam. An exam that is probably much harder than anything you’ve done before and a lot of people don’t meet their offer and so get rejected because of it. I would have a look at the STEP papers and see if you think you’ll actually be able to do them, they require a LOT of work to get better at. But yes, if you do get in (very difficult) the benefits of the computing degree from Imperial are obviously amazing.. but is it worth the risk when it is statistically so unlikely you get in? I don’t think so although you could always apply to unis that are slightly easier to get in to for comp sci like Warwick and Bath too that are still really good. Good luck.
Also, if you are thinking to applying for Imperial for computing you may as well apply to oxbridge for computing too lol… a lot of ppl get into oxbridge but don’t get into imperial for computing and vice-versa of course. All 3 courses at oxbridge and imperial are insanely competitive.
Reply 17
Original post by Admit-One
It's very difficult to say. We don't know where you are now and what they are like for Computing for example.

To be clear, the question would more accurately be "Is it worth taking 2 years for a chance at Imperial?". In most cases I imagine that's a no unless you are very unhappy at the prospect of progressing at your current uni.

Things to take into account:

- Having achieved their AL requirement is not a guarantee of an offer
- They may not accept Foundation results from elsewhere, or consider them in combination with other qualifications

My main other concern is that trying to do 2 level 3 quals at the same time risks hampering both of them.

Wait. Do you mean I can’t apply to Imperial because I’ve studied a foundation year? I don’t mind if they do or don’t ask for my foundation results, I’m looking to get in through the basis of my A level results (in terms of examinations). Please get back
(edited 2 years ago)
Wait. Do you mean I can’t apply to Imperial because I’ve studied a foundation year? I don’t mind if they do or don’t ask for my foundation results, I’m looking to get in through the basis of my A level results (in terms of examinations). Please get back

Acceptance of other unis FY's is sketchy at best.

They may not accept the FY by itself. (Likely)
They may not accept it in combination with your previously achieved level 3 quals (I am assuming your previous results were not strong)
They may want to look at your FY transcript even if you apply with pending AL results

It won't discount you by itself, (unless you apply only with that and its not one they consider.)

Again, even if you applied with A*A*A* achieved, you are not guaranteed an offer. So it's risky whichever way you look at it.
Reply 19
Original post by Admit-One
Acceptance of other unis FY's is sketchy at best.

They may not accept the FY by itself. (Likely)
They may not accept it in combination with your previously achieved level 3 quals (I am assuming your previous results were not strong)
They may want to look at your FY transcript even if you apply with pending AL results

It won't discount you by itself, (unless you apply only with that and its not one they consider.)

Again, even if you applied with A*A*A* achieved, you are not guaranteed an offer. So it's risky whichever way you look at it.

No, I'm looking to apply with new A levels that I am self-studying. If they do ask for my FY results ok whatever don't mind if they do or don't. As long as I am allowed to apply then I'm ok.

Quick Reply

Latest