Macbeth essay: Macbeth

Watch this thread
Leah Brayshaw
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hello, please could someone briefly mark my Macbeth essay that I have done. I have an upcoming test after Christmas on Macbeth and I want to see what are the WWW and what are the EBI. If able, please could you leave down a predicted grade for his essay, thank you.

In Shakespeare’s didactic play, Macbeth is presented as an ambitious protagonist to portray how even the most heroic figures can become victims of fate, caused by duality. Furthermore, Shakespeare constructs Macbeth’s tragic hero to also indicate the corruption of the human condition and how it is controlled by the hamartia within. This message teaches the audience that ambition can open doors to more paths, but in contrast, can also lead you to suffer the consequences and face your fate.

Starting with this extract, Shakespeare constructs Macbeth as an ambitious protagonist to emphasise how even the most “innocent” characters can become victims of fate caused by their duality, triggering their own Individual hamartia which eventually takes over. Macbeth is evoked to “aside” his intensional thoughts with the audience as he states that “two truths are told” from the witches. This could provoke Macbeth’s eagerness as he learns that one of his prophesies, becoming “Thane of Cawdor” is true, leaving him in a covetous position to make the 3rd prophesy of him “being king hereafter” to come true. This alliteration causes an apprehension of mystery, constructing a sinister and skeptic tone as the contemporary Jacobean audience would have been left intrigued of what Macbeth is going to achieve in order for Macbeth to be “king hereafter”. This would have also agitated the Jacobean in the way that the theme of Supernatural plays a rhythm in the play itself to convey different perspectives of fate itself, leaving the Jacobean audience to fear the witches themselves. This is due to the fact that King James 1 was against the act if the supernatural and it’s beliefs, compelling society to influence of his opinion in order to gain patronage from him. It was believed that the consequences of being a witch was ‘hellish to see’, executing innocent victims who were somehow excused of carrying out a spiritual ritual. Shakespeare highlights how even the most reputable characters can suffer from their own fate which is caused by individual duplicity within. This is employed through the character of Macbeth as his id within acts covetous in order to gain more ambition to make his finial prophecy come true.

Additionally, Shakespeare presented Macbeth as an motivated protagonist through the paradoxical couplet of how “This supernatural soliciting
Cannot be ill, cannot be good” This sibilance alludes back to act 1 scene 1 where the witches are shown to be “upon the heath” where “thunder and lightning” occurred.This reference implies resemblance between Macbeth and the witches, indicating they Macbeth is fascinated with the witches. Macbeth is interested with these witches which almost persuades him to do anything in order to gain the 3rd prophecy. This highlights Macbeth’s ambitious character which links back to Shakespeare’s idea of how even the most “brave” and “valiant” characters become victims of their own fates through duplicity. This negative influence between these two juxtaposing characters illustrates Macbeth’s eagerness towards society which foreshadows the tragic denouement of the play. In the Jacobean era, the supernatural was illegal which led to serious consequences if caught using it. This would have left the Jacobean audience to have feared this connection, leaving them feeling bewildered about Macbeth as the protagonist of the play. However, with his new power, he is already thinking of killing Duncan as he speaks about to “yield to that suggestion”, yet is disgusted and physically shocked by the fact that he could think that. This duplicity in him evokes his fate is invading his ego, leaving him to face difficult judgements on how he is going to overcome his fate or how he is going to work with it in order to become “king hereafter”. This juxtaposition models tension through Macbeth’s protagonist as he is emphasising that he’s covetously thinking about committing regicide on king Duncan, but oppose this at the same time as he cannot quite recognise why he thinks of this. This constructs Macbeth’s ambitious protagonist, linking back to Shakespeare’s purpose of how even the most reputable characters in the play can become victims of their own fate through their duality within. Shakespeare employs Macbeth to indicate how his ambition triggers his id (emphasising his duplicity within)as it takes control and victimises his ego, leaving him to become a victim of his own fate.

In the archetypical play, Shakespeare employs Macbeth’s ambitious protagonist, emphasising even the most “innocent” characters have duplicity within which can conclude them to suffer from their own fate. Shakespeare implies this when Lady Macbeth masculines Macbeth in order to fill him with more ambition so he can kill Duncan, making her to become Queen and him to become King. Lady Macbeth commands Macbeth to “look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under it” in order to carry out the regicide safely. The construction of façade emphasises the duplicity within Macbeth’s protagonist which implicitly reveals his fate invading his ego, victimising him which leaves him vulnerable. The simile of “look like the innocent flower” highlights innocent implications, conveying the “worthy gentleman” that Macbeth was to be. Whilst in contrast, the metaphor of Macbeth being forced to “be the serpent under it” has biblical connotations, alluding the allegorical story of ‘Adam and Eve’. This could be interpreted that Macbeth is Eve who is almost baby fed by his wife’s “bloody instructions” which could reprint the apple. Whilst Lady Macbeth can be classified as being the malicious serpent who compels Eve to eat the apple in order to become “the serpent under it”. However, Lady Macbeth can be classified as the serpent, illustrating her Machiavellian protagonist. In the Jacobean society, women were under classified and were submitted by the patriarchal which limited their freedom and rights in order to take control. Shakespeare employs Lady Macbeth’s covetous antagonist to convey how powerful and responsible women are compared to men as Lady Macbeth is shown to subvert the patriarchal in order to control Macbeth’s morality, to become Queen herself. This would have left the Jacobean society to fear her consequences of subverting the Patriarchal which fatally foreshadows the play’s dénouement. Lady Macbeth’s manipulation leads Macbeth the become more ambitious to achieve his last prophecy which emphasises Shakespeare’s message of how even the most “worthy” citizens in society can end up becoming victims of their own fate which is caused by their duality within.

Furthermore, Macbeth is constructed as an ambitious protagonist to exemplify how even the most reputable characters in the play can suffer from their own fate due to their duplicity. Shakespeare constructs this through Macbeth’s hesitation where he is shown to dismiss reality of the regicide plan and tell Lady Macbeth that “we will no longer proceed in this business”. The euphemism of the noun “business” illustrates Macbeth’s sufferings from his upcoming fate as he is implied to try to almost mask out reality and make it sound more professional as men were in charge in the Jacobean times. This further provokes Macbeth’s duplicity within as he is determined to become “king hereafter” but as well he is shown to hesitate the “obstacle”, Duncan, which he “must overleap” in order to achieve his long-term goal. This leaves the audience intrigued as they are almost positioning themselves in his shoes, predicting what his decision may be. This duality within his protagonist emphasises Shakespeare’s didactic message, indicating even the most “innocent” citizens have duplicity within, concluding them to become victims of their fate.

Additionally, Shakespeare constructs the tragic hero of the ambitious “Macbeth”, portraying even the most “innocent” citizens in society can become victims of their own fate, generated by their duplicity within. The motivated Macbeth is implied through his hallucinations as he wanders towards the “fatal entrance” of Duncan’s dormitory. He is shown to see “a dagger which I see before me” which is imagery, symbolising Macbeth’s ambitious mind which leaves he audience agitated as to expect tragical events further o in the play. Macbeth is indicated to describe the dagger’s “handle” as somehow pointing towards him as if the dagger is asking for him to use it. The hallucination appears to also symbolise Macbeth’s dark intentions which would have left the Jacobean audience to resemble this through the theme of Supernatural as this would have been seen as unnatural, therefore Supernatural. This links back to Shakespeare’s allegorical message, implying how even the most “innocent” citizens can become victims of their own fate, mechanised by the duality in each individual. Shakespeare uses a rhetorical question through Macbeth’s character to emphasise the confusion in his ego, victimised by his duplicity which leaves him to face and question his own fate.

In conclusion, Shakespeare constructs Macbeth’s ambitious protagonist in order to portray how even the most “innocent” citizens in society can become victims of their own fate, generated by their own duplicity within. Shakespeare employs this through Macbeth’s motivation, implying how he has to face his fate through his consequences he has indicated through the play. This teaches the Jacobean audience that ambition can open doors to more paths, but in contrast can also lead you to suffer the consequences and face your fate. Shakespeare implies how the human condition is left corrupted as duplicity is shown to affect Macbeth’s ego, persuading him to face reality.
Last edited by Leah Brayshaw; 5 months ago
Arianapple
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
I am in year 11 ans therefore do not have a lot of experience in marking but I think I would give the essay a low grade 7. I loved the contextual understanding and the reference to the audience. However I gave this grade because I honestly think you kept repeating the same points. The intro and the first paragraph were very good and talked about how "ambitious" Macbeth is; but you then basically repeated the same point by talking about him being "motivated" which means the same thing; and therefore did not really build off the first point. You also similarly did so when talking about how 'even the most “brave” and “valiant” characters become victims of their own fates through duplicity'. You could improve this by adding another way Macbeth was presented in your introduction and in the main body of the essay, to keep it linking back to the intro without restating the same ideas.
This was all my opinion, but it's still a good essay.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (41)
68.33%
No (15)
25%
I didn't use it to prepare (4)
6.67%

Watched Threads