The Student Room Group

Is it unreasonable for me (15) to have my bf (16) to stay the night?

Is it unreasonable for me (15) to have my bf (16) to stay the night in the other room? My parents are saying it's inappropriate and I'm underage
which I do know however how is sleeping in separate rooms going to do anything which is against the law (UK consent age btw).

One of the reasons they said was because they don't feel comfortable having a "young man" sleeping in their household. I've been with my bf for over a year and a half and I trust him very much and he has always been very kind to me and my family. My parents have even called me immature because I would like my bf of the opposite gender to stay around for the night (bare in mind I am bisexual and have always had cisgender girls stay the night).

Me and my bf have no sexual intention and we want to keep it that way until we are both of legal age and feel we are ready. There was also one time where my bf came over and we usually have the door about half open and we were just laying in bed watching youtube and he fell asleep and no one seems to be bothered that we're laying in bed watching youtube. So what's the difference with us sleeping in different rooms with our doors shut.

I just feel like my parents are unable to trust me. I haven't done anything wrong to show them that I can't be trusted with this particular situation and they seem to think I am immature about it. What's so wrong about having the comfort and happiness of your significant other for one night? How come a lot of my friends who are the same age as me and in relationships have parents who let their significant others stay the night (and even sleep in the same room). I understand people are going to say we are "teenagers" but not everyone may have sexual desires at our age.

And why do parents always think that sleepovers are always going to lead into s3x. I don't understand.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i don’t see what the problem is seeing as he’ll be in the other room, but at the end of the day it’s your parents’ decision considering it’s their house:redface:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by izzyexistent
Is it unreasonable for me (15) to have my bf (16) to stay the night in the other room? My parents are saying it's inappropriate and I'm underage
which I do know however how is sleeping in separate rooms going to do anything which is against the law (UK consent age btw).

One of the reasons they said was because they don't feel comfortable having a "young man" sleeping in their household. I've been with my bf for over a year and a half and I trust him very much and he has always been very kind to me and my family. My parents have even called me immature because I would like my bf of the opposite gender to stay around for the night (bare in mind I am bisexual and have always had cisgender girls stay the night).

Me and my bf have no sexual intention and we want to keep it that way until we are both of legal age and feel we are ready. There was also one time where my bf came over and we usually have the door about half open and we were just laying in bed watching youtube and he fell asleep and no one seems to be bothered that we're laying in bed watching youtube. So what's the difference with us sleeping in different rooms with our doors shut.

I just feel like my parents are unable to trust me. I haven't done anything wrong to show them that I can't be trusted with this particular situation and they seem to think I am immature about it. What's so wrong about having the comfort and happiness of your significant other for one night? How come a lot of my friends who are the same age as me and in relationships have parents who let their significant others stay the night (and even sleep in the same room). I understand people are going to say we are "teenagers" but not everyone may have sexual desires at our age.

And why do parents always think that sleepovers are always going to lead into s3x. I don't understand.

It's your parents' house so rules are rules. You could be 15 or 51, if they make a rule.. Legally you would have to follow it as they own the house. It isn't the end of the world if you can't sleep in the same house atm. I mean, why would you be so bothered about it? You'll be asleep, not awake to know he's there... By your post you say that you have invited him to your house in the day.. So there isn't any problem that your parents are being too controlling.

I wasn't allowed to stay over at a partner's house until I was 18 :lol: Even then my Mum didn't want them to stay at her house, even when I was 18 :tongue: It was annoying but I respected her decision, wasn't much I could do. You might just have to wait, but a bit of time longer isn't the end of the world - enjoy spending time in the day with each other for now :smile:
Reply 4
I'm a guy but if were 15/16 and my parents cough blocked me like that I'd wanna move out lol

It's not just about the sleepover, they're not gonna trust any alone time you have together.
Original post by miser
I'm a guy but if were 15/16 and my parents cough blocked me like that I'd wanna move out lol

It's not just about the sleepover, they're not gonna trust any alone time you have together.

Then move out. See how you get along at 15/16 🙂
Yes, I think that you are being unreasonable.
Wait until you are 16 and only then if your parents give permission for him to stay in their home overnight.
If it becomes clear that they will never agree to this, make alternative arrangements.

Above all do not put your bf at risk of the type of allegations that could get him arrested.
Or lumber him with the foul reputation of a clever predator that asks underage girls to be his gf & spend the night with him.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Then move out. See how you get along at 15/16 🙂

You say that as if economic dependence means teens would never wish they could live away from home.
Original post by miser
You say that as if economic dependence means teens would never wish they could live away from home.

I would agree if the reason for moving out was an actual reason. To want to move out because of this is beyond immature and reflects on how you will be as an adult. life is full of things to be willing to ruin it all because of a minor inconvenience. Grow up and wait lol..
Reply 9
Original post by Zain_Ahmed
To want to move out because of this is beyond immature and reflects on how you will be as an adult.

Are you for real haha. Adults definitely would move out if their current living arrangements prevented them from sharing intimacy with their partner.

Perfectly reasonable to refuse you. Do you know the struggle that could happen to an underaged mother or one who was sexually assault esp under her parents’ roof?

If you want to have boys sleepover, then get your own house and have as many lads over as you like.

Their house, their rules.
I wouldn’t trust you either to be honest.
Original post by miser
Are you for real haha. Adults definitely would move out if their current living arrangements prevented them from sharing intimacy with their partner.

Intimacy at 15?

And the OP claims to not want intimacy, but just to have him in a separate room. Which is pointless imo as u'll both be asleep to know ur there lol
Original post by Zain_Ahmed
Intimacy at 15?

Yes, loads of of people do and have done sexual things at 15, not strange at all.

And the OP claims to not want intimacy, but just to have him in a separate room. Which is pointless imo as u'll both be asleep to know ur there lol

I agree with this tbh. But I guess she wants to see him in the morning and have breakfast, cuddle and such.
"they don't feel comfortable having a "young man" sleeping in their household"

Which is a bit odd, but I guess if they only have a daughter or daughters and have simply never shared a house with a relatively adult male stranger overnight...? They don't have to be comfortable with particular overnight guests and whether you are comfortable with it - whether or not you are planning to have sex - isn't likely to be a big factor there.

Basically you can't have it both ways. A fifteen year old kid who isn't remotely interested in having sex doesn't need "the comfort and happiness of your significant other" overnight. If you're going to claim that you have the feelings and needs of an adult relationship then your parents should be treating you as a fifteen year old who is trying to have an adult relationship, and it's perfectly reasonable for them to say "not under our roof".
Original post by Son of the Sea
Yes, loads of of people do and have done sexual things at 15, not strange at all.

I agree with this tbh. But I guess she wants to see him in the morning and have breakfast, cuddle and such.

While I have to admit that many people have done sexual things at 15, that doesn't make it okay. It's still illegal and they're still too young to approach sex in a mature way. If I was a parent of a 15-year-old who wanted their significant other to sleep in their bed under my roof, I would say hellll no.

That said I'd be okay with them sleeping in separate rooms under my roof. It's a shame OP's parents don't seem to trust her any further than they could throw her.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
While I have to admit that many people have done sexual things at 15, that doesn't make it okay. It's still illegal and they're still too young to approach sex in a mature way. If I was a parent of a 15-year-old who wanted their significant other to sleep in their bed under my roof, I would say hellll no.

I didn’t say it was OK, just responding to Zain’s comment that implied disbelief at 15 year olds being intimate.

That said I'd be okay with them sleeping in separate rooms under my roof. It's a shame OP's parents don't seem to trust her any further than they could throw her.

Yeah, that’s weird. Maybe they think he’ll sneak into her room at night?
I also have a younger brother who will most definitely become my age. I wonder what my parents will say to that when they call him a young man
I didn’t say it was OK, just responding to Zain’s comment that implied disbelief at 15 year olds being intimate.

Yeah, that’s weird. Maybe they think he’ll sneak into her room at night?

He’s not that kind of person. Unless I’m struggling to sleep I may need a cuddle or something but he respects when I need space

May not be strange but isnt legal.. And sure isn't right for a parent to allow this...

A cuddle in the morning isn't really needed at 15 lol. Revision is, as exams are coming soon. People who set their priorities wrong always regret it later. A bf may be with you but most likely never work out from the age of 15... But grades stay with you for life...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending