e-Basic
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hello. I am a French national but I live in the UK and I have has indefinite leave to remain for more than 10 years. I applied for a masters loan but they have rejected it. I have already appealed but you still rejected it even though I meet all the criteria. What can I do next?
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by e-Basic)
Hello. I am a French national but I live in the UK and I have has indefinite leave to remain for more than 10 years. I applied for a masters loan but they have rejected it. I have already appealed but you still rejected it even though I meet all the criteria. What can I do next?
Hi there, apologies for the delay in responding.

Do you still require help or was it resolved? Please let me know.

Thanks, Isaac
e-Basic
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi I complained and I am awaiting a response
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Hi I complained and I am awaiting a response
Did you submit a complaint or an appeal?

Why did the assessors state you are ineligible?

Thanks, Isaac
e-Basic
Rep:
I submitted a complaint because I had appealed but it was rejected. They said because I didn’t apply for the EU settlement scheme I was not eligible and I’m trying to argue that because I have Indefinite Leave to Remain I didn’t need to apply for the EU settlement scheme and the website states having Indefinite Leave to Remain is acceptable.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I submitted a complaint because I had appealed but it was rejected. They said because I didn’t apply for the EU settlement scheme I was not eligible and I’m trying to argue that because I have Indefinite Leave to Remain I didn’t need to apply for the EU settlement scheme and the website states having Indefinite Leave to Remain is acceptable.
The UKICSA website is a useful source of info:

https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Informatio...tudent-Support

Not my area of expertise but it suggests that having IDLR by itself is not grounds for funding, although certain sub-categories would.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
EU Nationals are required to have settled status(which is indefinite leave to remain)

The specific requirement for indefinite leave to remain and 3 years of valid status is for non EU applicants.

What is your Nationality?

Thanks, Isaac
e-Basic
Rep:
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
EU Nationals are required to have settled status(which is indefinite leave to remain)

The specific requirement for indefinite leave to remain and 3 years of valid status is for non EU applicants.

What is your Nationality?

Thanks, Isaac
French
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
French
As an EU National, you are required to specifically have settled status to apply as a home student.

I agree with the assessors decision in this case unfortunately.

Thanks, Isaac
e-Basic
Rep:
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
As an EU National, you are required to specifically have settled status to apply as a home student.

I agree with the assessors decision in this case unfortunately.

Thanks, Isaac
So you are saying that my indefinite leave to remain is useless/invalid in this case? Why is ILR only for non-eu nationals? ILR gives me the same right as someone with with EU settlement and the website states you can apply with ILR but doesn’t specify its for non-EU only
Last edited by e-Basic; 4 months ago
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
So you are saying that my indefinite leave to remain is useless/invalid in this case? Why is ILR only for non-eu nationals? ILR gives me the same right as someone with with EU settlement and the website states you can apply with ILR but doesn’t specify its for non-EU only
Yes. I have seen similar cases to yours but I'm unsure why an EU National has been awarded indefinite leave to remain before the brexit rules, because an EU National did not need any status at that time.

Settled status is indefinite leave to remain but it's also 2 different separate status'.

Non Eu Nationals are awarded limited leave to remain and then can apply for indefinite leave to remain.
Eu Nationals are awarded pre settled status and then receive settled status.

Are you able to contact the home office and ask specifically for settled status?

Thanks, Isaac
e-Basic
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Just a little update. The complaints team agreed my appeal should have been approved. The appeals team eventually concluded that I am eligible for the loan and I got my money
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Just a little update. The complaints team agreed my appeal should have been approved. The appeals team eventually concluded that I am eligible for the loan and I got my money
I'm glad to hear your appeal was accepted, that is great news!

Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (146)
29.14%
It went fairly well (237)
47.31%
It didn't go too well (75)
14.97%
TERRIBLE! (43)
8.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise