Is there a subject similar to classics but less focus on the language aspect of it?

Watch this thread
billobobo
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I’m really interested in ancient greek and roman culture, and the philosophy, art and history that is normally taught in a classics course. Unfortunately, I’m quite bad at languages. Is there a subject that is similar to classics but with less focus on the language part?

(sorry if this question is stupid, I do realise that the ancient greek and latin language would be crucial in a classics course, but I still can’t give up on classics yet)
HousesInCork
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
If have a look into Ancient History and Ancient History & Archaeology courses
Sandtrooper
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by billobobo)
I’m really interested in ancient greek and roman culture, and the philosophy, art and history that is normally taught in a classics course. Unfortunately, I’m quite bad at languages. Is there a subject that is similar to classics but with less focus on the language part?

(sorry if this question is stupid, I do realise that the ancient greek and latin language would be crucial in a classics course, but I still can’t give up on classics yet)
Classical Studies
Ancient History
Archaeology
Some combination of the above.
Igloo Man Man
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Basically what others have said, although they would probably have less on the literature/philosophy sides.

I don't think anyone is inherently bad at languages, I think the teaching/effort has a lot to do with it, I myself was subjected to generic french lessons from primary school onward but never really got a hold on it due to a lack of effort (and in some cases bad teaching) early on and thought subsequently that I was universally trash at languages, however more recently (myself considering classics) I think if one can apply themselves and work hard its definitely possible to learn a language, especially at a university where you will be taught by veteran educators/linguists and in a more serious and focused environment than early education.

I found this seemingly pretty useful series on learning the basics of Latin on Youtube, and despite so far only doing the 1st lesson have already found my interest peaked, certainly more than it ever was with French, probably because of the culture/history surrounding Latin but also because Latin is the etymological root of our modern western languages and its fascinating to see the history of its development into the modern languages, such as the creation of the letter J, and K which aren't present in Latin.

Here's a link to that series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWUlrL6E_QU&t=4s

(First post on Student Room btw )
Last edited by Igloo Man Man; 4 months ago
Sandtrooper
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Or do Egyptology like I did XD
SirNoodles
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Ancient History would be a good bet
Trinculo
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
A lot of Ancient History degrees do require that you will be learning an ancient language and a lot have language requirements. At UCL and Kings, that was the case. Greek, Latin, Akkadian and I think Hebrew was acceptable.

If you want to basically do a bit of 300 or Troy, all in translation, the degree you are looking for is Classical Studies.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Classical Studies or Classical Civilisation don't require you to take a language. You can if you want, but it's optional - you can choose non-language modules to make up your degree.

Ancient History would be another option.

Part of it depends on which university you choose. Some are more fussy about you taking language modules, whereas others give alternative options.
Last edited by PinkMobilePhone; 4 months ago
Al_ICE04
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by billobobo)

As most people have said, Ancient History is a good alternative.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.43%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
13.1%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.95%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (14)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20.24%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.62%

Watched Threads