how many essay subjects needed for law

Watch this thread
Alex73323545
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Sent my options form off today. Picked Maths, Economics, History, and Computer Science. Physics is the backup in case I don't get any of the 4. School makes us do 4 in Y12, and drop one for Y13.
I really want to do Law, and my last option was a straight split between English lit and Comp Sci. I picked Comp Sci because, honestly, I think I'd enjoy it better, and in case I suddenly find Law isn't for me, I have a backup career
I think History is pretty vital, and I love studying it anyway (probably my fave subject), but for Law, are the options ok with only 1 essay subject? Or have I ruined my chances with my choices. Lol
Summer Bird
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
Essay subjects are not required for many law courses but they're recommended and very useful
Alex73323545
Rep:
(Original post by summerbirdreads)
Essay subjects are not required for many law courses but they're recommended and very useful
is just history enough tho?
Summer Bird
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Alex73323545)
is just history enough tho?
Yes... check entry requirements
Alex73323545
Rep:
(Original post by summerbirdreads)
Yes... check entry requirements
Yeah, I have, but the thing is, there'll be candidates who will have had 2 essay subjects, and I only have 1 essay + 2 stem subjects, and whatever Economics is. Am I at a a natural disadvantage?
Summer Bird
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Yeah, I have, but the thing is, there'll be candidates who will have had 2 essay subjects, and I only have 1 essay + 2 stem subjects, and whatever Economics is. Am I at a a natural disadvantage?
I have no Idea... but I don't think so.

Admit-One McGinger they might know.
_Kestrel_
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I doubt you would be at a disadvantage. Taking one essay subject + two stem is a really nice mix (tbf, you don't have to do any essay subjects, having an essay subject is just helpful to prep for the essay based workload of a law degree + it is helpful for the LNAT/CLT).

At the end of the day,the best A-Levels for law are the ones you can get the highest grades in. If history + maths + economics + CS are ones you enjoy and think you could get a good grades in - go for it!

Religious studies alevel is well respected and imo has helped me a lot with my analytic/rationalisation skills. It also helped me prep for LNAT. If you were interested in taking another essay based subject I would recommend you look into RS.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Unless they state specifically that they prefer or require two essay based subjects, you will not be at any disadvantage. Unis tend not to hide this stuff as it's not in their interests to encourage 'weaker', (IE. lower scoring), applicants.

(Thanks for the tag summerbirdreads)
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Law requires no specific subjects. If a Uni says this, then that IS what they mean.
If they 'prefer x subject' etc then they will say this on the course page.
There are no 'secrects' and no information that 'only some people know'.
So - pick 3 subjects you will enjoy studying and where you feel confident of getting 3 high grades.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (156)
41.82%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.5%
No (148)
39.68%

Watched Threads