The Student Room Group

does anyone else hate ppl that just cant spell?

alright so i have this one friend and he just honestly cant spell- like i dont care about grammar or punctuation cuz we're just texting but just the spelling
im not talking about he just rushes when he texts and misspells sometimes its like he actually doesn't know how to spell the word
examples-
'alwase' instead of always
'sealing' instead of 'ceiling'
'loose' when he rlly means 'lose'
never uses the right forms of 'your' and "you're" or "to" "too" and "two" or "their" "there" and "they're"
theres a million more things he does that i cant think of to type right at the moment but it gets to the point where i avoid texting him because i get such a strong urge to correct him every time but i dont want to seem rude or make him upset with me about it
and im not saying im like the master at spelling or grammar or whatever but those things just kinda irritate me?
does this happen to anybody else?

Scroll to see replies

You seem like a pretty *****y friend to be honest. If you hate people who can’t spell then stop pretending to be their friends.
Original post by Anonymous
alright so i have this one friend and he just honestly cant spell- like i dont care about grammar or punctuation cuz we're just texting but just the spelling
im not talking about he just rushes when he texts and misspells sometimes its like he actually doesn't know how to spell the word
examples-
never uses the right forms of 'your' and "you're" or "to" "too" and "two" or "their" "there" and "they're"
theres a million more things he does that i cant think of to type right at the moment but it gets to the point where i avoid texting him because i get such a strong urge to correct him every time but i dont want to seem rude or make him upset with me about it
and im not saying im like the master at spelling or grammar or whatever but those things just kinda irritate me?

It greats doesn't it?
Like ppl instead of people? I hate their lot too
I've got a dyslexic older adult friend whose spelling is so bad that I sometimes have to sound out what he's written to figure out what the word is supposed to be. No, I don't hate him.

Each to their own, but personally I find things like "ppl", "im", no capital letters, no full stops and so on to be on the same level of grating as lazy spelling. You should consider that other people will be looking at the things you write and reacting the same way to you that you react to your friend. If you don't care, fair enough, but then you can hardly be surprised if your friend doesn't care either.
examples-

There is a growing number of people who refuse to write or speak properly. You see posts on TSR and other platforms where some have used poor grammar or incorrect spelling.
The irony is strong here.
Reply 7
Original post by Mesopotamian.
The irony is strong here.

and the bronzy, but not sure what ancient civilisations have to do with the thread.
Original post by mqb2766
and the bronzy, but not sure what ancient civilisations have to do with the thread.

They have everything to do with everything.
Reply 9
examples-

yep
Unless it's so bad that I can't make sense of what they're trying to say; I don't care. What I really despise is street slang, that road talk or whatever you want to call it.
no of course not. it's obviously something they struggle with and it doesn't actually cause any real harm, it's just a text message.

I dunno, I think it grates me more when people get annoyed by such inconsequential things.
(edited 2 years ago)
Yes, I have friends who have their own little things that irk me also. But I don’t hate them for it.

Be patient with him, doesn’t seem like he can help it.
Honestly, I’m only annoyed at this when I’m the one who is making the spelling mistakes.
Lol, just help him out, it's not rude if he stops making the same mistake in the future. I don't get why you need a whole thread for this.
Original post by 0ptics
Honestly, I’m only annoyed at this when I’m the one who is making the spelling mistakes.

So true. It’s even worse when autocorrect interferes and let’s you down epically because it makes you sound like an idiot.
Original post by 0ptics

Yeah.. because I make spelling mistakes and it's annoying.

So true. It’s even worse when autocorrect interferes and let’s you down epically because it makes you sound like an idiot.

Exactly.

Original post by skylark2
I've got a dyslexic older adult friend whose spelling is so bad that I sometimes have to sound out what he's written to figure out what the word is supposed to be. No, I don't hate him.

Each to their own, but personally I find things like "ppl", "im", no capital letters, no full stops and so on to be on the same level of grating as lazy spelling. You should consider that other people will be looking at the things you write and reacting the same way to you that you react to your friend. If you don't care, fair enough, but then you can hardly be surprised if your friend doesn't care either.

Excellent roast :biggrin:

PRSOM to all of you because TSR won't let me rep like ever.
Original post by 0ptics

I stopped, almost entirely, writing English for about 20 years. Being on here has made me use it again, and often I write things that I know are wrong, they don't look right, but I just can't see where the error is. Very frustrating!
Original post by summerbirdreads

PRSOM to all of you because TSR won't let me rep like ever.

Same, I have to wait days sometimes to be able to rep again - you were lucky today, but don’t expect another one soon! :lol:
Same, I have to wait days sometimes to be able to rep again - you were lucky today, but don’t expect another one soon! :lol:

Agreed.. TSR needs to reform the rep system.

Quick Reply

Latest