The Student Room Group

Degree Apprenticeship vs University - career progression

I am considering between univeristy and degree apprenticeships. I have applied to both but eventually, I would need to make a decision. If I were to go ahead with degree apprenticeships how would the career progression be? (I applied for Financial Services at JPM with a degree from UoExeter) As in, would I be eligible for a grad role just like someone graduating from uni? Will I be disadvantaged?
These are just some drawbacks I heard and want to know if they are true or not.
PLEASE PLEASE do reply if you have any idea. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by vidi2020
I am considering between univeristy and degree apprenticeships. I have applied to both but eventually, I would need to make a decision. If I were to go ahead with degree apprenticeships how would the career progression be? (I applied for Financial Services at JPM with a degree from UoExeter) As in, would I be eligible for a grad role just like someone graduating from uni? Will I be disadvantaged?
These are just some drawbacks I heard and want to know if they are true or not.
PLEASE PLEASE do reply if you have any idea. Thanks

You will be able to apply for grad jobs as you have a degree just like any other uni students. You’ll just have 3+ years of experience over them.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
I'm not sure about how it works exactlly at JP Morgan, but I do know at similar organisations you will be offered an grad role once the apprenticeship is finsihed, just a year or two above the graduate recruits. I really hope you do choose to do a degree apprenticeship in the end, because nowadays university degrees are just not enough anymore, nor worth the debt.
Reply 3
Original post by Samii.A
I'm not sure about how it works exactlly at JP Morgan, but I do know at similar organisations you will be offered an grad role once the apprenticeship is finsihed, just a year or two above the graduate recruits. I really hope you do choose to do a degree apprenticeship in the end, because nowadays university degrees are just not enough anymore, nor worth the debt.

thats sounds great! The debt is one of my main worries if I go to uni and on top that juggling uni and a part time job is too big of a commitment .. apprenticeships sound just right
Reply 4
I get it, that's one of my main concerns, as well. Try following some apprentice accounts on Instagram. Just search up degree apprentice and you should see some
If you get a degree apprenticeship with a top employer, it’s like doing a full time degree with a top university.

Top employers typically invest a lot of money into training, through internal and external training, mentoring/supervising, and high value projects that have business impact.

I did mine in engineering research and development with a prestigious employer.
They steered me towards novel research projects for my work based project modules at university and had me project manage teams.

I finished with 3 research publication, and because I’d worked with Russell group unis and built a professional network whilst working on the job, I was approached directly and offered funded PhD positions both internally and externally without needing a masters degree.

Although this is engineering, I think this is testament to how far an employer can drive you to develop, given I left school with 6s (Cs) in GCSE and only had a level 3 diploma in machine operating when I started.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Chris2892
If you get a degree apprenticeship with a top employer, it’s like doing a full time degree with a top university.

Top employers typically invest a lot of money into training, through internal and external training, mentoring/supervising, and high value projects that have business impact.

I did mine in engineering research and development with a prestigious employer.
They steered me towards novel research projects for my work based project modules at university and had me project manage teams.

I finished with 3 research publication, and because I’d worked with Russell group unis and built a professional network whilst working on the job, I was approached directly and offered funded PhD positions both internally and externally without needing a masters degree.

Although this is engineering, I think this is testament to how far an employer can drive you to develop, given I left school with 6s (Cs) in GCSE and only had a level 3 diploma in machine operating when I started.

This is so inspiring! Congrats :smile:
What Russel group university did you work with?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending