The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Is University of Birmingham any good?

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone here goes to UoB, and if so how is it? I went to the open day and the campus seemed great, but my chosen course (Drama and Theatre Arts) would take place in a separate building in Selly Oak, which I couldn’t explore. Could anyone tell me about the course/teaching style, and if possible, the performance facilities too? Thanks x
Original post by milmil09
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone here goes to UoB, and if so how is it? I went to the open day and the campus seemed great, but my chosen course (Drama and Theatre Arts) would take place in a separate building in Selly Oak, which I couldn’t explore. Could anyone tell me about the course/teaching style, and if possible, the performance facilities too? Thanks x

Hi @milmil09 - thanks for getting in touch. I've asked Orla, a current second year Drama and Theatre Arts student to reply to this, which you can see below. If you have any further questions, you can chat to Orla here. You might also find this video helpful.

Hi, I’m a drama student at UoB! I am really enjoying the course and the variety of learning offered. The course style focuses on three key elements of learning: practical exploration, critical thinking and production (learning behind the scenes). This is great as we gain an understanding of the whole world of theatre. The teaching is very impressive at UoB, the staff deliver modules based on their research which means they are extremely knowledgeable and passionate on their subjects. We also have great facilities, we have our own theatre: George Cadbury hall. We also have lots of studios, computer suites, seminar and lecture rooms and our own library for all our learning and rehearsals! Please let me know if you have any more questions, happy to help. - Orla :smile:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by University of Birmingham
Hi @milmil09 - thanks for getting in touch. I've asked Orla, a current second year Drama and Theatre Arts student to reply to this, which you can see below. If you have any further questions, you can chat to Orla here. You might also find this video helpful.

Hi, I’m a drama student at UoB! I am really enjoying the course and the variety of learning offered. The course style focuses on three key elements of learning: practical exploration, critical thinking and production (learning behind the scenes). This is great as we gain an understanding of the whole world of theatre. The teaching is very impressive at UoB, the staff deliver modules based on their research which means they are extremely knowledgeable and passionate on their subjects. We also have great facilities, we have our own theatre: George Cadbury hall. We also have lots of studios, computer suites, seminar and lecture rooms and our own library for all our learning and rehearsals! Please let me know if you have any more questions, happy to help. - Orla :smile:

Hi Orla! I'm Rachel. I've applied for LANS at Birmingham and would like to major in Drama so this is super helpful! Thank you for this :smile: What plays have you recently put on?
Original post by milmil09

Hi there,

My name is El and although I'm a student at Coventry University, my closest friend chose to go to Birmingham, I asked her what she thought about Birmingham for you!

Birmingham is great for hard workers and has quite a full on semesters which can be a bit daunting but makes you work the best as you can with much more time compared to other Universities!
The overall campuses and Uni's support is amazing, welcoming and very up to date with its style! I was personally very impressed with the hub/social areas as I thought they were really nicely decorated, had great cafes on hand and overall had a great place to relax, study and meet up with friends.

I have also heard from my mentor that Birmingham has wonderful support for mental health and overall support for students. It works you hard but has all the support and help you may need if a struggle comes along!

I hope these little notes make it feel like Birmingham was the right choice for you!

El
Original post by rachxx64
Hi Orla! I'm Rachel. I've applied for LANS at Birmingham and would like to major in Drama so this is super helpful! Thank you for this :smile: What plays have you recently put on?

Hi @rachxx64,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you!

This year we put on ‘Animal Farm’, ‘The Wonderful World of Disassocia’, ‘How to Disappear and Never be Found’ and ‘Brythrite’. In these productions all year groups get involved, whether it’s making the set, designing the costumes, buying and making props and operating light and sound as well, as our third years who are the actors! It’s a very exciting part of the course for Drama students.

I hope this helps - Orla
Reply 5
High B tier Russel Group University. It is neither the worst nor the best IMHO. However, this opinion was formed from visiting the place irl alongside researching stats on employment rate, graduate salary and rankings, among others.
I just wonder if you have drama societies that are welcoming students studying non drama courses? My son loves drama but chose to do a more academic course in the end but would really like to keep being involved with a drama group while he is away and meet like minded people. Any suggestions?

Original post by University of Birmingham
Hi @rachxx64,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you!

This year we put on ‘Animal Farm’, ‘The Wonderful World of Disassocia’, ‘How to Disappear and Never be Found’ and ‘Brythrite’. In these productions all year groups get involved, whether it’s making the set, designing the costumes, buying and making props and operating light and sound as well, as our third years who are the actors! It’s a very exciting part of the course for Drama students.

I hope this helps - Orla

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending