The Student Room Group

Maths entry requirements

I’m applying to uni for Mathematics (BSc) with A level grades A*A*B (B in Further maths). A lot of universities require A in further but my grades are still equivalent or higher than the requirements overall. How lenient would universities be considering this and that I have a strong personal statement? Would I have to take an additional test (like STEP) to be considered or will I most likely just be rejected?
Reply 1
Original post by agusgiam
I’m applying to uni for Mathematics (BSc) with A level grades A*A*B (B in Further maths). A lot of universities require A in further but my grades are still equivalent or higher than the requirements overall. How lenient would universities be considering this and that I have a strong personal statement? Would I have to take an additional test (like STEP) to be considered or will I most likely just be rejected?

It depends on the uni. Some would be quite picky on a minimum A spectrum across your grades whereas some would recognise the higher two grades than their typical offer. You likely would be considered or added to a pool, but not a guarantee. I'm not too sure about the STEP but to me it would sound strange for them to ask you to take it unless they previously mentioned it is part of the admissions process, but again I don't know for sure.
(edited 2 years ago)

Did you put some down with grade B requirement in FMaths - it's the grade they are looking for not the average ...
(edited 2 years ago)

It will depend on the university but anywhere requiring an A in Further Maths is likely to reject you.

My son applied for Maths at Durham a number of years ago with A*A*A including A* in Maths and FM. He applied in November and they hadnt replied by the end of Feb so decided to go elsewhere, Durham were using a gathered field. and the likelyhood was he was going to get rejected. A friend of his got an offer from Cambridge for A*AA and actually achieved A*A*A*A* but because she was 1 grade down in Step they rejected here on results day. This is the kind of problem you face with unis like Oxbridge, Imperial and Durham.

Given the excessive grading last year it is highly likely that universities will be very strict this year not to be caught out again.

There are many very good Maths universities that dont look at further maths. If you want to risk 1 university asking for a grade A in FM fine but the likelyhood is you are going to be rejected. Make sure some of your options dont ask for it.
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
It will depend on the university but anywhere requiring an A in Further Maths is likely to reject you.

My son applied for Maths at Durham a number of years ago with A*A*A including A* in Maths and FM. He applied in November and they hadnt replied by the end of Feb so decided to go elsewhere, Durham were using a gathered field. and the likelyhood was he was going to get rejected. A friend of his got an offer from Cambridge for A*AA and actually achieved A*A*A*A* but because she was 1 grade down in Step they rejected here on results day. This is the kind of problem you face with unis like Oxbridge, Imperial and Durham.

Given the excessive grading last year it is highly likely that universities will be very strict this year not to be caught out again.

There are many very good Maths universities that dont look at further maths. If you want to risk 1 university asking for a grade A in FM fine but the likelyhood is you are going to be rejected. Make sure some of your options dont ask for it.

Thanks for the response. I’ve noticed that a lot of unis that don’t require further maths still want 3 As so again, I’m unsure if I would meet this requirement because of the B, but I will make sure to apply to universities with lower requirements anyway.
Are these achieved grades, or your predictions? If they are your predictions, it's possible that you might be given an offer, but it would be for the requirements, not for your predictions, so you'd have to do better than your teachers think you will (most people do worse). Very few top universities do what you're effectively asking for, which is an offer on UCAS points rather than grades. You won't be able to offer STEP instead unless that's something they list as an alternative to an FM grade A.

Having a strong personal statement has become normal, I'm afraid - it is unlikely to make you stand out.

That said, applying to one university which is a bit of a stretch is common. It's just not a good idea to apply to five, and you should expect not to get into it.
Thanks for the response. I’ve noticed that a lot of unis that don’t require further maths still want 3 As so again, I’m unsure if I would meet this requirement because of the B, but I will make sure to apply to universities with lower requirements anyway.

The real problem is nobody can tell this year. Last year grades were given out like confetti under the CAG system. 23% were given A* whereas 8% or lower were given for 2019 and earlier. Universities made offers based on what happened previously and suddenly they had more students than they had spaces for as nobody was getting rejected. They dont know what will happen this year. Will there be CAGs or exams. Are they going to be moderated or not. What percentage is going to be accepted for each grade. These things make it impossible for everybody to make judgements.

In past years there was a very strong likelyhood you would get an offer if you were predicted AAB for an AAA course and you would likely to have been accepted with AAB or higher on results days. Nobody knows what will happen this year due to the uncertaintees around exams and marking.,

Which universities are you looking at? With a B in further maths, COWI, Durham, Bristol, UCL and a couple of others wouldn't be attainable but there are still strong universities such as Leeds and Lancaster that would accept those results. Personal statements don't really matter that much for maths, the majority of courses run on very high offer rates, even at the very top universities (eg Warwick). If you get an offer and are a near miss then it could come down to factors like this but that depends on the A level situation this year.
Reply 8
Yeah I’m most likely applying to Leeds. I’m also interested in York, Birmingham, Exeter - all of which I think require AAA so I’m not sure whether the B would be acceptable or not. Also looking at Bath, KCL but as the requirements are higher I know those would be unlikely. (The grades I mentioned are my obtained grades not predicted)
Yeah I’m most likely applying to Leeds. I’m also interested in York, Birmingham, Exeter - all of which I think require AAA so I’m not sure whether the B would be acceptable or not. Also looking at Bath, KCL but as the requirements are higher I know those would be unlikely. (The grades I mentioned are my obtained grades not predicted)

The likelyhood is Exeter will accept you. They dont or certainly didnt care about Further Maths. Bath is a bit more risky. There are other good universities. How about Cardiff. Lancaster is a good option if you are looking at courses involving Pure Maths and Stats. As I stated earlier the difficulty over the excessive grades last year might limit your options though.

Quick Reply