The Student Room Group

I have bad predicted grades. Will that stop me from applying to subjects?

I have bad predicted grades, and I'm worried that I can't do the courses that I want to simply because I don't have the grades. For example, psychology requires you to have a grade 5 in mathematics, and I have a grade 4

Here are the rest of my grades:

English Language - 8
English literature - 7
Art - 6+
Computing - 4 (used to be predicted a 6/7, but I don't know what happened)
History - 3
Spanish - 4
Maths - 4
Biology - 6
Physics - 6
Chemistry - 4

I'm just scared that I can't apply to certain subjects, and even certain sixth forms, because of my grades. I'm in year 11
Reply 1
Original post by phoenixtheblaze
I have bad predicted grades, and I'm worried that I can't do the courses that I want to simply because I don't have the grades. For example, psychology requires you to have a grade 5 in mathematics, and I have a grade 4

Here are the rest of my grades:

English Language - 8
English literature - 7
Art - 6+
Computing - 4 (used to be predicted a 6/7, but I don't know what happened)
History - 3
Spanish - 4
Maths - 4
Biology - 6
Physics - 6
Chemistry - 4

I'm just scared that I can't apply to certain subjects, and even certain sixth forms, because of my grades. I'm in year 11

im sure if u talk to the school u want to go to they may let u do it but it may depend on the school

also do u have any tips w revising english lit and lang (I'm literally getting so bad in it )
Original post by aisima
im sure if u talk to the school u want to go to they may let u do it but it may depend on the school

also do u have any tips w revising english lit and lang (I'm literally getting so bad in it )

I'm not really good at giving tips, especially since I mostly waffle but I'll try:

-ACTUALLY answer the question. This isn't something so much about revision, but it's good if you learn how to do this. I've seen so many people have a question, but never actually answering it and talking about something completely different. For example, How does Shakespeare show ambition through Macbeth? Don't talk about how he's conflicted or something, unless you're answering it in a way that actually explains why this would link to ambition, which moves us onto the second point
-Revise your quotes and analyse them and remember that analysis! It will save you a lot of time in the exam
-Learn and use context. Examiners love context. And spicy words, like "conveys", "contrasts", "communicates".
-Learn to extend your point, show your evidence and know when your evidence happened (avoid using evidence where you can't say what was happening or when it's happening), and explain it, then expand on it.

For example, I'll do one here:
Lady Macbeth shows ambition through the quote. "Come you spirits that tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here". This shows that Lady macbeth is willing to do anything, and is very malevolent.

Obviously that's not a good paragraph, but you get the point. It's simple, not very complex. Here's a grade 7 paragraph:

Considering Macbeth is a morality play, it could be argued that Shakespeare presents ideas about ambition through the character of Lady Macbeth. For example, in a soliloquy, Lady Macbeth calls out, "Come, you spirits that tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here." This suggests that while Lady Macbeth is willing to do whatever she can to reach her goal of becoming queen. The phrase "spirits that tend on mortal thoughts" emphasises how she's accepted her place on the dark side. In addition, it shows how she wants to go against god and god's plans, and to do that, she calls on god's enemy, Satan. She's surrendered to evil and shows her unnatural nature. This unnatural nature is reinforced by the imperative verb "Come", which is very demanding in nature. It shows some form of dominance, which isn't viewed as normal for a woman in the Jacobean era and contrasts the Chain Of Being. Also, the phrase, "Unsex me here" shows she wants to be more masculine in nature, as to unsex someone means to take their sex away from them. Lady Macbeth implies she would like to be a man. This sudden change is also seen as unnatural and again goes against The Great Chain Of Being as she is clearly going against what God wants for her.

The paragraph's a little rushed, and so far isn't grade 7, but is an example of what part of a grade 7 paragraph looks like. You should talk about the jacobean audience next while also linking to context about things relevant.

-Do past papers! They help a lot
-Understand the mark schemes, and understand the things you'll be marked on! Whatever your lacking, you need to work on that part of it. For example, this isn't "marking" based but I need to work on my timing for exams. Even though I get extra time, I still fail to finish the exam, so where I could have earned a grade 7 or 8, I got a grade 6 instead, all because that last question couldn't get done.
-Make notes!

I don't know how well some of these work, since I usually just wing it when I walk into an exam, but I have seen people do things like this and get pretty decent grades. English literature might seem hard, but I promise, once you understand it, you won't! It's one of those things which are pretty easy.

English Language is pretty similar, I don't actually know how to revise that one at all, so all I can say is practice with past papers please! Past papers are your best friend! Use big words, bigger words than what I used!
Reply 3
I'm not really good at giving tips, especially since I mostly waffle but I'll try:

-ACTUALLY answer the question. This isn't something so much about revision, but it's good if you learn how to do this. I've seen so many people have a question, but never actually answering it and talking about something completely different. F

Excellent advice.
Reply 4

-ACTUALLY answer the question. This isn't something so much about revision, but it's good if you learn how to do this. I've seen so many people have a question, but never actually answering it and talking about something completely different. For example, How does Shakespeare show ambition through Macbeth? Don't talk about how he's conflicted or something, unless you're answering it in a way that actually explains why this would link to ambition, which moves us onto the second point
-Revise your quotes and analyse them and remember that analysis! It will save you a lot of time in the exam
-Learn and use context. Examiners love context. And spicy words, like "conveys", "contrasts", "communicates".
-Learn to extend your point, show your evidence and know when your evidence happened (avoid using evidence where you can't say what was happening or when it's happening), and explain it, then expand on it.

For example, I'll do one here:
Lady Macbeth shows ambition through the quote. "Come you spirits that tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here". This shows that Lady macbeth is willing to do anything, and is very malevolent.

Obviously that's not a good paragraph, but you get the point. It's simple, not very complex. Here's a grade 7 paragraph:

Considering Macbeth is a morality play, it could be argued that Shakespeare presents ideas about ambition through the character of Lady Macbeth. For example, in a soliloquy, Lady Macbeth calls out, "Come, you spirits that tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here." This suggests that while Lady Macbeth is willing to do whatever she can to reach her goal of becoming queen. The phrase "spirits that tend on mortal thoughts" emphasises how she's accepted her place on the dark side. In addition, it shows how she wants to go against god and god's plans, and to do that, she calls on god's enemy, Satan. She's surrendered to evil and shows her unnatural nature. This unnatural nature is reinforced by the imperative verb "Come", which is very demanding in nature. It shows some form of dominance, which isn't viewed as normal for a woman in the Jacobean era and contrasts the Chain Of Being. Also, the phrase, "Unsex me here" shows she wants to be more masculine in nature, as to unsex someone means to take their sex away from them. Lady Macbeth implies she would like to be a man. This sudden change is also seen as unnatural and again goes against The Great Chain Of Being as she is clearly going against what God wants for her.

The paragraph's a little rushed, and so far isn't grade 7, but is an example of what part of a grade 7 paragraph looks like. You should talk about the jacobean audience next while also linking to context about things relevant.

-Do past papers! They help a lot
-Understand the mark schemes, and understand the things you'll be marked on! Whatever your lacking, you need to work on that part of it. For example, this isn't "marking" based but I need to work on my timing for exams. Even though I get extra time, I still fail to finish the exam, so where I could have earned a grade 7 or 8, I got a grade 6 instead, all because that last question couldn't get done.
-Make notes!

I don't know how well some of these work, since I usually just wing it when I walk into an exam, but I have seen people do things like this and get pretty decent grades. English literature might seem hard, but I promise, once you understand it, you won't! It's one of those things which are pretty easy.

English Language is pretty similar, I don't actually know how to revise that one at all, so all I can say is practice with past papers please! Past papers are your best friend! Use big words, bigger words than what I used!

tysmmmm im gonna use this from now on also thank u for the example paragraph. also, i wanted to ask when u memorise the quote w analysis do u memorise a context w it too?
Original post by aisima
tysmmmm im gonna use this from now on also thank u for the example paragraph. also, i wanted to ask when u memorise the quote w analysis do u memorise a context w it too?

Yep! Context gives you marks, so it's always important you know the context otherwise you could drop from a grade 7-9 paragraph, down to 5 or 6 paragraph.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending