The Student Room Group

Covid lateral flow test

Hi guys, basically I was on a crowded train to meet my friend and loads of people were all squashed up to me and the following day I felt ill so I did a lateral flow test at home and it was negative but I still stayed in doors and haven’t been out since the last test. But then I thought I would do another one the next day and it was positive? I don’t know which one to believe, because what if I do another one and it’s negative does that mean the positive one is an outlier? I could order a PCR test but I kind of need to know what to do ASAP because I’m supposed to be working all day this week and I don’t get sick pay? I’m starting to feel a bit better but I don’t want to risk other people incase I do have it
Lateral flows have a very low false positive rate. You almost certainly have covid and need to isolate and book a PCR unfortunately.
Hey I just tested positive yesterday similar to you actually I did a test on Sunday when I was a bit unwell thinking I had only a cold and it turned negative but then I did a test yesterday and it was positive and to double check I did another lateral flow and it was positive again. The new covid variant is like a cold so if you have symptoms like a sore throat, sneezing, runny nose and headache etc it could be possible you have covid like me. I say do another test and if that’s positive do yourself a pcr as they are a bit more accurate or do a pcr straight away rather than another lateral flow.
PCR test…positive lateral flow plus symptoms. Do not go to work and spread it.
Reply 4
Lateral flow tests are really unreliable for some people, but if you tested positive you need to go and get a PCR test to confirm. Stay indoors until you get results. It is highly likely you have covid.
Sometimes positive lateral flows don't show up right away (hence your first test being negative) because they only pick it up when you have a certain viral load, I'd say do another lateral flow if you want to double check, but definitely book a pcr because with the new variant there's a high chance it is covid

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending