The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Regret of not studying fashion marketing

I’m currently studying politics at another uni(1h train ride from london ) however I wanted to study fashion marketing before coming to the uk at ual or Westminster. My mom didn’t want me to so I had to study IR and politics instead. I’m a second year student now and regret it a lot . I always had a interest in fashion and fashion management/ marketing has always been my career choice . Now I think it’s too late as there is only one year left until I graduate. So I cannot change my course anymore:/

I may have not researched it well but I know that you got plenty of internship opportunities in london for fashion marketing and management und I believe that you get paid as well . For my course it’s VERY hard to find a legit internships:/

Is there still a chance for me to work in the fashion industry or should I completely quit my studies and start a new bachelor degree in fashion marketing ?
Original post by Anonymous
I’m currently studying politics at another uni(1h train ride from london ) however I wanted to study fashion marketing before coming to the uk at ual or Westminster. My mom didn’t want me to so I had to study IR and politics instead. I’m a second year student now and regret it a lot . I always had a interest in fashion and fashion management/ marketing has always been my career choice . Now I think it’s too late as there is only one year left until I graduate. So I cannot change my course anymore:/

I may have not researched it well but I know that you got plenty of internship opportunities in london for fashion marketing and management und I believe that you get paid as well . For my course it’s VERY hard to find a legit internships:/

Is there still a chance for me to work in the fashion industry or should I completely quit my studies and start a new bachelor degree in fashion marketing ?

Hey, I am currently studying Fashion Marketing at a russell group uni and am regretting not picking just a straight Marketing degree. I am only in first year. I think you have made a sensible decision because it is not easy to find internship opportunities. You could always do a Masters in fashion marketing but your degree is quite well suited to a variety of jobs. Do you think I should try and get onto the marketing course for 2nd year or stick with fashion marketing?
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey, I am currently studying Fashion Marketing at a russell group uni and am regretting not picking just a straight Marketing degree. I am only in first year. I think you have made a sensible decision because it is not easy to find internship opportunities. You could always do a Masters in fashion marketing but your degree is quite well suited to a variety of jobs. Do you think I should try and get onto the marketing course for 2nd year or stick with fashion marketing?

Hey thank you for your reply ! I didn’t know that RG Unis offered fashion marketing. Some ppl told me too that it’s better to get a marketing degree rather than a fashion marketing degree but if you’re just passion about fashion marketing I would still go for it . Could u perhaps tell me why u prefer a marketing degree more or why u have any regrets ?
Hey thank you for your reply ! I didn’t know that RG Unis offered fashion marketing. Some ppl told me too that it’s better to get a marketing degree rather than a fashion marketing degree but if you’re just passion about fashion marketing I would still go for it . Could u perhaps tell me why u prefer a marketing degree more or why u have any regrets ?

Not many russell groups do offer it so it has quite a big uptake. I just feel as if I would have more job opportunities and more passion for a normal marketing degree. It has kind of put me off working in the fashion industry and find the lectures quite stressful even though the content is really easy because of the pressure they put on us. I just am craving something to challenge me more. I would not recommend it if you are an introvert as they emphasise you will likely fail unless you are a big personality in the fashion field. Do you know anyone studying marketing?
Reply 4

Hi which Russel group uni are you doing fashion marketing at , I’ve applied to 2 Manchester and Leeds but I’m not sure about them
Out of all degrees, you can get in academia why would you study something so superficial like fashion...:confused:
Out of all degrees, you can get in academia why would you study something so superficial like fashion...:confused:

Aren’t all degrees superficial?
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Aren’t all degrees superficial?

How so? Degrees in STEM, business, economics, history, politics, and medicine all have vocational and important applications to research and development towards creating a more sustainable future (which at the current rate of our consumption, we are doomed before the end of this century). I don't see how studying fashion can help solve anything of real importance to sustain humanity.

You could argue that degrees are mostly theoretical, but new inventions are not realised without understanding the theory behind the subject anyways. Even then, you can opt for a more practical degree as much unis offer with placement years and tbh any top unis teach you applications to the real world anyways.
How so? Degrees in STEM, business, economics, history, politics, and medicine all have vocational and important applications to research and development towards creating a more sustainable future (which at the current rate of our consumption, we are doomed before the end of this century). I don't see how studying fashion can help solve anything of real importance to sustain humanity.

You could argue that degrees are mostly theoretical, but new inventions are not realised without understanding the theory behind the subject anyways. Even then, you can opt for a more practical degree as much unis offer with placement years and tbh any top unis teach you applications to the real world anyways.

Tbf I know people who have done all sorts of degrees (STEM, arts etc) and are long term unemployed. This mentality does not get you anywhere. If you want to be successful to an apprenticeship, at least then you get a decent job out of it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending