The Student Room Group

when should i take the usmle?

I am a first year medical student. I would like to take the USMLE, but I'm unsure when to take it. In medical school, we're currently learning content that should be similar to the content tested on the usmle; ideally I would like to do it next year (before I forget the content lmao) but I am unsure if I will be allowed to. For context, I'm 18, I don't know if there is a specific age requirement. Thanks :smile:
bump
Original post by starrystudy
bump

This is a UK forum. Very few people here will have done the USMLE, as the majority of us work / plan to work within the UK. Assuming you’re a UK student wanting to work in the US in the future - make sure you understand how difficult it (getting a job as an IMG in the US) is.

If you search the forum there are some previous threads from people who’ve attempted the USMLE, that should give you some information. As for age limit, no idea - never heard of age limits for exams - but surely this is easily google-able if you’re that committed to doing it.

Best wishes.
(edited 2 years ago)
Take step 1 after preclinicals and step 2 after the clinical years.
Reply 4
to get ECFMG permission to do the USMLE you need to have finished your preclinical years. do it summer of 2nd or summer of 3rd year. i did mine summer of 3rd but tbh i could have done it summer of 2nd but personal things came up that prevented me.
Original post by atlasvii
to get ECFMG permission to do the USMLE you need to have finished your preclinical years. do it summer of 2nd or summer of 3rd year. i did mine summer of 3rd but tbh i could have done it summer of 2nd but personal things came up that prevented me.

Hey sorry to respond to this post a year later, but I was just wondering, when booking the exam are there any restrictions on when during the year you can take it? Ie does the ECFMG only offer slots at certain points during the year or is it on offer all throughout the year?

Thanks so much!:smile:
Reply 6
you can take it whenever. ecfmg gives you the permit to do it within a set number of months (you choose when you apply) and its up to you to find an open test centre with an available time slot within that window.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending