The Student Room Group

Clearing

Does anyone know if there’s a website or document available which displays all the courses that have gone into clearing in the previous years?

Thanks in advance
It wont help you much.
The last two years have been 'weird' with over-inflated grades and this had an enormous impact on which Unis/subjects were in Clearing.

You can generally assume that 'hard to recruit' subjects (obscure subjects, unusual subject combinations and anything with a language component etc) and most 'UCAS points' Unis will be in Clearing. Very popular subjects, or anything asking for A* grades, at top Unis - Law, Economics, Mechanical Engineering etc etc are unlikely to be in Clearing.
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
It wont help you much.
The last two years have been 'weird' with over-inflated grades and this had an enormous impact on which Unis/subjects were in Clearing.

You can generally assume that 'hard to recruit' subjects (obscure subjects, unusual subject combinations and anything with a language component etc) and most 'UCAS points' Unis will be in Clearing. Very popular subjects, or anything asking for A* grades, at top Unis - Law, Economics, Mechanical Engineering etc etc are unlikely to be in Clearing.

Ah okay, would a degree such as foundation degree in physics/astrophysics be likely to come up in clearing?
Original post by pmcgx
Ah okay, would a degree such as foundation degree in physics/astrophysics be likely to come up in clearing?

Unlikely - Physics/Astro is a competitive subject area and usually a Uni with any spaces on a named Foundation course like this would fill it with 'fall-off' offer holders who didnt get the grades and were rejected from the main degree course.

Why are you thinking of Clearing at this stage?
Reply 5
Original post by McGinger
Unlikely - Physics/Astro is a competitive subject area and usually a Uni with any spaces on a named Foundation course like this would fill it with 'fall-off' offer holders who didnt get the grades and were rejected from the main degree course.

Why are you thinking of Clearing at this stage?

Ah I see, I applied for med but so far I’ve got a rejection and my admission exam stats weren’t promising which means I’m expecting 2/3 more rejections so I’m thinking of the alternative degree which I wanted to do, which is astrophysics
Hi,

Please don't do the alternate degree unless you plan to scrap medicine entirely. It'll be better to reapply than waste £9k+ and attempt graduate medicine, especially since it's a lot more competitive than the standard course.

I think it will be improbable to find Physics at foundation or standard duration Physics in clearing, my advice would be to prepare nevertheless if it does arrive in clearing, but not to bank on it, rather prepare for applying in the 2023 entry cycle now, especially since I believe Physics courses require an entrance exam.
You’d be better off resitting your A levels and reapplying for 1st year entry than compromising on a foundation year.
Original post by pmcgx
Ah I see, I applied for med but so far I’ve got a rejection and my admission exam stats weren’t promising which means I’m expecting 2/3 more rejections so I’m thinking of the alternative degree which I wanted to do, which is astrophysics

If you are applying for Medicine the I assume you are predicted high grades. There are likely to be universities available for Physics in extra. You dont need to enter clearing or a foundation year.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
You’d be better off resitting your A levels and reapplying for 1st year entry than compromising on a foundation year.

Afraid it won’t do much difference as I don’t do the required a levels for astrophysics/physics. The foundation year meant it would allow me into the course despite me only doing chemistry biology and geography for a levels
Reply 10
Original post by swanseajack1
If you are applying for Medicine the I assume you are predicted high grades. There are likely to be universities available for Physics in extra. You dont need to enter clearing or a foundation year.

But in order to do physics I’d most likely need physics or maths a levels and I have neither, I do biology chemistry and geography and I’m certain they wouldn’t allow me on the course
Reply 11
Original post by Invective
Hi,

Please don't do the alternate degree unless you plan to scrap medicine entirely. It'll be better to reapply than waste £9k+ and attempt graduate medicine, especially since it's a lot more competitive than the standard course.

I think it will be improbable to find Physics at foundation or standard duration Physics in clearing, my advice would be to prepare nevertheless if it does arrive in clearing, but not to bank on it, rather prepare for applying in the 2023 entry cycle now, especially since I believe Physics courses require an entrance exam.

Okay that’s helpful thank you and wow I didn’t know physics had entrance exams, are these similar to the Ucat/bmat or do they solely rely on physics/maths as the knowledge
Original post by pmcgx
Okay that’s helpful thank you and wow I didn’t know physics had entrance exams, are these similar to the Ucat/bmat or do they solely rely on physics/maths as the knowledge

I dont think most universities require an entrance exam although a couple of top ones might.
Original post by pmcgx
But in order to do physics I’d most likely need physics or maths a levels and I have neither, I do biology chemistry and geography and I’m certain they wouldn’t allow me on the course

Have you thought about alternatives but similar courses to Medicine, Have a look here. Bristol offer some as well

https://www.swansea.ac.uk/medicine-health-life-science/
Reply 14
Original post by swanseajack1
Have you thought about alternatives but similar courses to Medicine, Have a look here. Bristol offer some as well

https://www.swansea.ac.uk/medicine-health-life-science/

Yeah I’ve looked at them briefly but none interest me like medicine, think the main reason I chose to apply for medicine was because of the flexibility it has in terms of careers and how it can offer progression into other roles such as surgery which was something I was interested in

Quick Reply