The Student Room Group

insurethebox telematics

I've just started an insurance policy with Insurethebox and the blackbox is due to be fitted for next week. anyone who has experience with this company, how strict are they with the box. how many warnings do they give before you are cancelled. how low of a score are you allowed to ? by how much are you allowed to speed before you are risking being cancelled?
by the way, I am 17 and without blackbox insurance is 6 grand.
Original post by *T_H*
by how much are you allowed to speed before you are risking being cancelled?

None. You are always at risk if you speed with a BB.
Original post by *T_H*
I've just started an insurance policy with Insurethebox and the blackbox is due to be fitted for next week. anyone who has experience with this company, how strict are they with the box. how many warnings do they give before you are cancelled. how low of a score are you allowed to ? by how much are you allowed to speed before you are risking being cancelled?

Honesty, if it's not already in your Terms and Conditions, then how they investigate you and grade risk is prob not something they will advertise or confirm.

As @Admit-One basically said, you don't really have any guaranteed tolerance. These policies are like playing cards with someone who won't tell you all the rules, seems to have twice as many cards as you, and they keep smiling.
Original post by StriderHort
Honesty, if it's not already in your Terms and Conditions, then how they investigate you and grade risk is prob not something they will advertise or confirm.

As @Admit-One basically said, you don't really have any guaranteed tolerance. These policies are like playing cards with someone who won't tell you all the rules, seems to have twice as many cards as you, and they keep smiling.

Exactly.
Personally i wouldnt touch a black box with a bargepole.
Original post by *T_H*

I am with them. I don’t know about warnings and stuff because I don’t speed… so just stick to the speed limits. There’s literally no point in speeding. You get an email every week about your driving stats which tells you how much you were speeding
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Emma:-)
Exactly.
Personally i wouldnt touch a black box with a bargepole.

They were actually helpful for me! It means I can afford it and I was also in a car crash and the black box immediately phoned me to see if I was okay. They then phoned me later to help talk me through the insurance process so I was very happy I had a black box
Original post by flamingolover
They were actually helpful for me! It means I can afford it and I was also in a car crash and the black box immediately phoned me to see if I was okay. They then phoned me later to help talk me through the insurance process so I was very happy I had a black box

I guess you must have been a one off.
In quite a few cases they aren't cheaper.
Any excuse to cancel your policy even when you think you haven't done anything wrong.
Quite a few have mileage limits or curfews which aren't viable for some people who need the cars for work, school, uni etc.
Quite a few cases with the black boxes being inaccurate e.g. saying you were speeding along X road when you were under the limit on y road etc

Need I say more.
Original post by Emma:-)
I guess you must have been a one off.
In quite a few cases they aren't cheaper.
Any excuse to cancel your policy even when you think you haven't done anything wrong.
Quite a few have mileage limits or curfews which aren't viable for some people who need the cars for work, school, uni etc.
Quite a few cases with the black boxes being inaccurate e.g. saying you were speeding along X road when you were under the limit on y road etc

Need I say more.

All my friends have black boxes and no one has had any problems with them at all. My dad drove my car and had a 14% speeding that week and absolutely nothing happened. We do all have a thing that says if you often drive after 10pm then your insurance may go up but none of us have had an issue with that.

I guess it suits some people but doesn’t suit others
All my friends have black boxes and no one has had any problems with them at all. My dad drove my car and had a 14% speeding that week and absolutely nothing happened. We do all have a thing that says if you often drive after 10pm then your insurance may go up but none of us have had an issue with that.

I know of a lot of people who wouldn't touch them either. To be honest those who like them seem to be the minority.

Why is that about if you drive after 10pm your premium could go up? Where I live the roads are a lot quieter after 10 so you’d have less of a risk?
Reply 10
A friend had one fitted and he managed to get his premiums really reduced by driving steady and complying with the 'rules' though he was a bit like cinderella trying to get home before 10pm - there was a margin I think it was 2 or 3 times he could break the rules re night time curfew. The rules are still stacked against young drivers driving at night because insurance companies use algorithms to work out 'at risk' times for drivers to have major crashes. Insurance premiums are eye watering and worse if you have any accidents, points or endorsements to start with it's a nightmare. If you can absolutely stick to all the speed signs it can help reduce the premium costs - Some companies can reduce the premiums after review say 3 months into the cover. Some black boxes have G force detectors too & harsh braking monitors which are tell tales on your driving. The costs you need to think about in advance are paying to have the device removed when at the end of the year you change insurance company for a cheaper offer and paying the exit admin fees to cancel your insurance. Be wary and do your back ground small print reading. Do lots of searches on other insurance sites for quotes and see if a black box is still worth it?
I had a black box fitted when I got my first car, though I was in my 20s at the time. The policy is probably a bit more strict due to your age, but to give you some reassurance I never had an issue with my box. They just updated me at the end of the year policy. I would suggest though that you do not speed. The risk to yourself, your insurance policy, and other people is just not worth it. Drive safe, stick to the highway code, and your policy will go down in price after your first year.
Original post by sleepingsunshine
Why is that about if you drive after 10pm your premium could go up? Where I live the roads are a lot quieter after 10 so you’d have less of a risk?

Bear in mind they always want your premium to go up and broadly, for you to blow it, they like money.

Beyond that they'll base it on many things... time of night, visibility, driver drowsyness/impatience to get home, pub chucking out time etc and a lot of the time the real nutters and heavy freight don't come out till night. You're also asking to be insured to drive anywhere and everywhere in the UK, not specific roads with anecdotal local knowledge.
Original post by sleepingsunshine

I think it’s because it’s easier to get in an accident when it’s dark and you are fairly inexperienced
Reply 14
Both my sons had telematics insurance for the first year. Both were with insurethebox although one was through Tesco as it was cheaper. Neither received any threats of cancellation. One son tended to speed a little as demonstrated by being given lower bonus miles each month (not that it mattered as they had sufficient miles in the policy anyway).
Honestly I don’t understand the issue people have with this. If you speed or drive carelessly you risk far more than having your insurance cancelled. We never experienced an issue and the savings offered far exceed the ‘inconvenience’ of driving responsibly!
Had a black box fitted for 2 years with admiral when passed my test. It was the only way could afford insurance , no issue with it at all. After two years the premiums leveled out without one so changed.

Quick Reply

Latest