The Student Room Group

How to revise for history edexcel- American west

My mock is in feb and I wanna get a grade 8 ( thats the highest possible my school isnt giving 9s to make it more realistic)
Original post by Sohello
My mock is in feb and I wanna get a grade 8 ( thats the highest possible my school isnt giving 9s to make it more realistic)

Not really fair if your school isn't giving grade 9s at all cos some students probably do deserve it. How I revised for history, I did Edexcel too was to condense the content into flashcards. E.g I did the Cold War for one topic and one bit was about the Berlin Wall, I'd make the title massive then give three facts about that topic- not too much info otherwise when it comes to revising you might feel a bit overwhelmed. If you don't have time for flashcards then I suggest mind maps and watching videos about the topic and making notes-a long, long time ago on YouTube makes really good videos, I suggest you check if she did any videos on content that may come up in your Feb mocks. Also history is the type of subject where timing is your worst enemy so make sure you don't waffle during your exams and try your best to improve your timing during essays. Good luck, you're gonna smash it
Look at every sub-topic and come up with an exam question based on that topic. Look closely at past papers and mark schemes to examine how the question is constructed. Mirror this in your construction of your own question. Then plan answers to some of these questions. Then write out full answers under timed conditions.
Reply 3
Original post by sumzibadman
Not really fair if your school isn't giving grade 9s at all cos some students probably do deserve it. How I revised for history, I did Edexcel too was to condense the content into flashcards. E.g I did the Cold War for one topic and one bit was about the Berlin Wall, I'd make the title massive then give three facts about that topic- not too much info otherwise when it comes to revising you might feel a bit overwhelmed. If you don't have time for flashcards then I suggest mind maps and watching videos about the topic and making notes-a long, long time ago on YouTube makes really good videos, I suggest you check if she did any videos on content that may come up in your Feb mocks. Also history is the type of subject where timing is your worst enemy so make sure you don't waffle during your exams and try your best to improve your timing during essays. Good luck, you're gonna smash it

Omg ok thank you this is really helpful
moved to history study help :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by 04MR17
Look at every sub-topic and come up with an exam question based on that topic. Look closely at past papers and mark schemes to examine how the question is constructed. Mirror this in your construction of your own question. Then plan answers to some of these questions. Then write out full answers under timed conditions.

Omg ok thanks
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/History/2016/exam-materials/1HI0_25_que_20180609.pdf

Here's an example of a past paper (2018).

Q1. Explain two...

Q2. Write a narrative account.... (with two stimulus points)

Q3. Explain... (8)

Q4. Explain (8)

Q1 looks like it's always going to be about causes or consequences. So look through the list of topics you've got in a textbook.

Looking at the specification there'll definitely be Cause & consequence questions on:
- The factors encouraging migration, including the Oregon Trail from 1836, the belief in Manifest Destiny, and the California Gold Rush of 1849.
- The development and problems of white settlement.
- Reasons for tension with Plains Indians, including US government policy and the Permanent Indian Frontier.

Anything listed in the specification (page 38) as a "Reasons for" or "Impact of" is likely to be cause or consequence in the exam.

Next, your Q3 and Q4 will be something about significance (written in the exam as importance). Any topic you see on page 38 and 39 that talks about the significance of an event is a candidate for your Q3 or 4. Including
- The significance of the first Fort Laramie Treaty (1851). The Indian Appropriations Act (1851).
- The significance of the railroads; the significance of Abilene and of the increasing use of the railroad network.

Write yourself some questions asking you to "Explain the importance of" the above. Then use those as practice.

Write a narrative account could be about any topic that isn't related to either of the above really. But you'd need something where you get two options as stimulus points, so think about that when designing your questions.
Reply 7
Original post by 04MR17
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/History/2016/exam-materials/1HI0_25_que_20180609.pdf

Here's an example of a past paper (2018).

Q1. Explain two...

Q2. Write a narrative account.... (with two stimulus points)

Q3. Explain... (8)

Q4. Explain (8)

Q1 looks like it's always going to be about causes or consequences. So look through the list of topics you've got in a textbook.

Looking at the specification there'll definitely be Cause & consequence questions on:
- The factors encouraging migration, including the Oregon Trail from 1836, the belief in Manifest Destiny, and the California Gold Rush of 1849.
- The development and problems of white settlement.
- Reasons for tension with Plains Indians, including US government policy and the Permanent Indian Frontier.

Anything listed in the specification (page 38) as a "Reasons for" or "Impact of" is likely to be cause or consequence in the exam.

Next, your Q3 and Q4 will be something about significance (written in the exam as importance). Any topic you see on page 38 and 39 that talks about the significance of an event is a candidate for your Q3 or 4. Including
- The significance of the first Fort Laramie Treaty (1851). The Indian Appropriations Act (1851).
- The significance of the railroads; the significance of Abilene and of the increasing use of the railroad network.

Write yourself some questions asking you to "Explain the importance of" the above. Then use those as practice.

Write a narrative account could be about any topic that isn't related to either of the above really. But you'd need something where you get two options as stimulus points, so think about that when designing your questions.

Okay so yk q1,3 &4 are they always going to be about one of the topics you’ve mentioned in your reply?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending