No A Levels 20 years old

Watch this thread
studentboom01
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I am 20 years old, and have no career direction, I don't know where to begin! I don't understand how UCAS points work, I can't seem to comprehend how I could get a job in a field I like.

My main passion is social history I have a huge passion for the subject and read endlessly about it, however I have litterally no clue of jobs within the field, no clue of what university courses to sit, absolutley nothing, seems a bit of a waste to start studying again now as I would have to.

I honestly have less of a clue than most people did when they were just going into college at 16.

Never loved eductation, mostly due to being bullied in school and that in turn made me view college as an extension of that, I am currently training for a new job however within this position there is no progression (not saying what is due to privacy) and I will be stuck on around £24k a year when qualified.

I just really do feel a little hopeless, what would you lot suggest I do as it all does seem a lot and by the time I complete a course that would then allow me to get into uni plus uni I'll be in my mid 20s with no savings and still not made a start on life.

Thanks!
AliceRoseGuy
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
Hey! Just want to say that as much as you may feel that your life isn’t heading anywhere career wise at 20, that I was in the exact same shoes as you are right now. I’m 24 and I started my a levels a few weeks from my 21st birthday three years ago, and have since got an A in Spanish and have my maths and psychology exams in the summer through doing them via a distanced learning centre online. It’s been a bit expensive but honesty I don’t regret a thing as I see it as a total investment in my future and am currently applying for uni in sept 2022. It’s taken three years but so worth it.

As for social history, it sounds like a fascinating subject, but perhaps some more research into what universities offer course wise would help you. Generally speaking, universities want prospective students to have at least three a levels, so you could do a history a level, a sociology a level and maybe even something like psychology perhaps? As for UCAS points, the higher the grade you get the higher points you have, and “better performing” universities have higher and more competitive ucas tariffs to get into them.

It’s never to late to make changes, you change a lot from 18-20 and so on, it’s common for people to realise that something they were interested in no longer excites them or provides them with enough career satisfaction in the long run. There are people who go from college, to uni and then do nothing with their degree and go into an entirely different field.

You’ve not missed the boat. Your journey is valid in itself, so please don’t judge yourself and compare yourself to your peers. If I spent more time than I do comparing myself to my peers at my age, it would exhaust me and demotivate me from my studies. You’re still so young , you have options, be proud of yourself and this realisation that you wanna do something different to what you have for the past few years is normal and healthy to consider
Last edited by AliceRoseGuy; 5 months ago
LEXIbell512
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Do you have any GCSEs? If so, you could do a level 3 course in social history or do a open university course as you don’t necessarily need any qualifications to enroll on a undergraduate open university course. UCAS points are only obtained from level 3 courses depending upon how many units the course consisted of. Moreover if you don’t want to go down the academic route, you could look at apprenticeships at museums which research social history. Hope this has provided you with some help.
Nerol
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by studentboom01)
I am 20 years old, and have no career direction, I don't know where to begin! I don't understand how UCAS points work, I can't seem to comprehend how I could get a job in a field I like.

My main passion is social history I have a huge passion for the subject and read endlessly about it, however I have litterally no clue of jobs within the field, no clue of what university courses to sit, absolutley nothing, seems a bit of a waste to start studying again now as I would have to.

I honestly have less of a clue than most people did when they were just going into college at 16.

Never loved eductation, mostly due to being bullied in school and that in turn made me view college as an extension of that, I am currently training for a new job however within this position there is no progression (not saying what is due to privacy) and I will be stuck on around £24k a year when qualified.

I just really do feel a little hopeless, what would you lot suggest I do as it all does seem a lot and by the time I complete a course that would then allow me to get into uni plus uni I'll be in my mid 20s with no savings and still not made a start on life.

Thanks!
Hey!

Firstly - don't panic! There is time to figure out what you want to do and where to start. I didn't start my BSc until I was 25. I did it with the OU as I also had no A Levels and they don't have the same requirements as other universities. I studied part-time, so was 30 by the time I finished. I then spent a year doing a postgraduate certificate, am now finishing training as a counsellor and have just applied for Clinical Psychology doctorate programs. If I were to get a place this year (unlikely on a first application), I will be 36 by the time I finish.

It is frustrating and scary not having a direction, I was in a similar boat in my early 20s. I actually ended up moving to China for a teaching program and ended up staying there for 5 years while I "found myself".

My point is, there is no "right" way or pace when it comes to figuring out what you want to do. Spend time researching jobs that might interest you and look at requirements for these. You have time!
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by studentboom01)

Thanks!
Hi studentboom01

Hello, I was in a similar situation after being bullied at school and struggled at college. I floated around for a few years, and now at 35 I now have a degree and an MSc. Sometimes people need time to find the right direction for them.

You might be best talking to someone from the National Careers Service https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/ which is completely free. They will have time to talk through things with your properly and help you onto the right path.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
What is the job you are in and taking training for at the moment?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (97)
68.31%
No (30)
21.13%
I didn't use it to prepare (15)
10.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed