FeelingGood333
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Does the QTS come before the PGCE? The entire process is confusing
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by FeelingGood333)
The quickest and simplest route would be to do BA/BEd Primary Education with QTS.

Alternatively, any undergraduate degree then a PGCE with QTS.
PrimaryITE
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by FeelingGood333)
The PGCE is an academic qualification. It will be based on the outcome from various assignments. These will be designed to be completed over the course of the academic year.

QTS (Qualified teacher status) is a separate thing where you have to meet the Teachers' Standards Your provider does not award this but can recommend you for it. For most people they will be able to show that they are meeting these standards after ~120 days in a school. So you will normally be assessed near the end of the course you are on.

So if you were doing a PGCE Primary both the PGCE and QTS would be conferred to you at the end of the course. It is possible however to get your PGCE and not meet the Teachers' Standards by the end of the course (say you missed a lot of placements time due to illness). In which case you may need to extend your placement at school to meet the Standards which could drag into the next academic year. In theory the opposite could also happen (gain QTS but not meet the standards for the PGCE) but I've never known that to happen due to how the courses are structured.

TL/DR - For the majority of people they get them both at the same time.
Last edited by PrimaryITE; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.31%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.81%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.01%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (213)
46.81%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads