The Student Room Group

GCSE additional maths

Hi there, i was looking around options for extra GCSEs that i could possibly take as my school does not offer that many, and i have been very keen ever since to take additional maths GCSE as i am a big fan of maths. However, the problem is that my school does not offer this and so i have been looking to take this outside of school. Please may you advise me on how the process of taking this GCSE outside of school would work?
Original post by GCSEstudy3141
Hi there, i was looking around options for extra GCSEs that i could possibly take as my school does not offer that many, and i have been very keen ever since to take additional maths GCSE as i am a big fan of maths. However, the problem is that my school does not offer this and so i have been looking to take this outside of school. Please may you advise me on how the process of taking this GCSE outside of school would work?

Please don't - you are far better off making sure you get top grades in your GCSEs. If you love Maths then enter the UKMT competitions, use NRICH, read books by Rob Eastaway but this qualification is not a good option. [Maths teacher speaking]
Original post by Muttley79
Please don't - you are far better off making sure you get top grades in your GCSEs. If you love Maths then enter the UKMT competitions, use NRICH, read books by Rob Eastaway but this qualification is not a good option. [Maths teacher speaking]

Hi there, thanks so much for replying, please may you explain why it would not be a good idea as i am really keen to take on an extra GCSE regardless, and seeing I’m a maths fan i was thinking of doing additional maths
Hi there, thanks so much for replying, please may you explain why it would not be a good idea as i am really keen to take on an extra GCSE regardless, and seeing I’m a maths fan i was thinking of doing additional maths

How many GCSEs are you taking? Why do you think you need another one?

Universites tend to look at best 8 and top grades - that should be your aim.
Reply 4
How many GCSEs are you taking? Why do you think you need another one?

Universites tend to look at best 8 and top grades - that should be your aim.

If you are in set 1 in my school, you have to take further maths. Just wondering why you think it’s a bad idea? I’m already taking 11 GCSEs without additional maths.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Yas101
If you are in set 1 in my school, you have to take further maths. Just wondering why you think it’s a bad idea? I’m already taking 11 GCSEs without additional maths.

You risk your other grades, it includes topics not in A level, there are better ways to prepare for A level ... no-one needs 12 GCSEs!!!

We get amazing A level results in Maths and FM with students off to Oxbridge each year ... i

You can be more ambitious.

Einstein took pre-university math and physics 2 years earlier than expected, and got excellent grades, though I can't access his Matura attempt in 1895.
If you really want to see if you can replicate that then try the Math A-level and Physics A-levels.

(https://www.nature.com/articles/537152a) is further reading.

If you don't want to take that GCSE, you can still preview the A-level stuff, as well as go for UKMT stuff.

Both enrichment and acceleration are good. (https://www.gwern.net/docs/iq/smpy/2005-brody.pdf)

If you're too ahead, you might be socially isolated because the others can't catch up to you.
"Students with such exceptional abilities can also be at risk of social isolation if their interests and abilities differ greatly from their agemates." (https://www.gwern.net/docs/iq/smpy/2005-brody.pdf)
Reply 7
You risk your other grades, it includes topics not in A level, there are better ways to prepare for A level ... no-one needs 12 GCSEs!!!

We get amazing A level results in Maths and FM with students off to Oxbridge each year ... i

How many a levels do you recommend?
Original post by Yas101
How many a levels do you recommend?

3 or 4 if you are doing Maths/FMaths.
Original post by justlearning1469
You can be more ambitious.

Einstein took pre-university math and physics 2 years earlier than expected, and got excellent grades, though I can't access his Matura attempt in 1895.
If you really want to see if you can replicate that then try the Math A-level and Physics A-levels.

(https://www.nature.com/articles/537152a) is further reading.

If you don't want to take that GCSE, you can still preview the A-level stuff, as well as go for UKMT stuff.

Both enrichment and acceleration are good. (https://www.gwern.net/docs/iq/smpy/2005-brody.pdf)

If you're too ahead, you might be socially isolated because the others can't catch up to you.
"Students with such exceptional abilities can also be at risk of social isolation if their interests and abilities differ greatly from their agemates." (https://www.gwern.net/docs/iq/smpy/2005-brody.pdf)

Looks like the Einstein stan is back...
Reply 10
3 or 4 if you are doing Maths/FMaths.

Thoughts on taking physics without maths at a level but having taken further maths at gcse?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Yas101
Thoughts on taking physics without maths at a level but having taken further maths at gcse?

We don't have anyone - we don't do level 2 FM
(edited 2 years ago)

We are in the same boat haha :smile:
What did you get in any topic exams you had? I’m not sure whether my overall maths ability would prove good enough for further maths even though I love maths :smile:
Original post by Itsmikeysfault
Looks like the Einstein stan is back...

Hey, at least if the OP manages it while Einstein himself couldn't, he can brag about it.

But it will take someone who is extraordinarily ahead of his time to have a chance of it.

And if the OP really is ahead, he can skip the boring GCSE math lessons and study something else.
Einstein did skip a good few lectures in university, the ones which were quite poorly taught and outdated. He correctly knew that he would learn more from studying by himself. Unfortunately, his career would've been cut short had it not been for the father of one of his classmates.

So @GCSEstudy3141 if you think Math GCSE is really easy you could just skip the teacher's lessons, at your own risk. And make sure to have a good friend like Dr. Einstein did to give you notes for free.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest