Can't decide firm and insurance choices for Quantity Surveying. Need help.

Watch this thread
Account4Choices
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey,

I got offers for quantity surveying/and commercial management, and I'm struggling to choose my Firm and Insurance choices. I was wondering if a current student (or anyone else) could offer some advice about which one I should choose and why? I like all the modules for my choices, and I don't want to base my decision on league tables. These are my offers:

Nottingham Trent University - conditional
Loughborough University - conditional
Kingston University - conditional
Oxford Brookes University - conditional
University of Reading - conditional

Thanks
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Account4Choices)
Hey,

I got offers for quantity surveying/and commercial management, and I'm struggling to choose my Firm and Insurance choices. I was wondering if a current student (or anyone else) could offer some advice about which one I should choose and why? I like all the modules for my choices, and I don't want to base my decision on league tables. These are my offers:

Nottingham Trent University - conditional
Loughborough University - conditional
Kingston University - conditional
Oxford Brookes University - conditional
University of Reading - conditional

Thanks
Too soon to decide - are there offer holders days? Have you visited them?
Account4Choices
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
Too soon to decide - are there offer holders days? Have you visited them?
I only got invited to an offer holder day for Loughborough so far, but I've visited Kingston, NTU and Oxford Brookes at their open days.
ajj2000
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
What grades are they asking and how confident are you? Do you have a chance to visit reading? They have a very strong history in QS.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I only got invited to an offer holder day for Loughborough so far, but I've visited Kingston, NTU and Oxford Brookes at their open days.
OK so write pros and cons for each - I've had students go to all of those except Kingston. Brookes and Loughbrough seem to be enjoyed the most but locations are somewhat different. What were your thoughts at the open days?
Account4Choices
Rep:
(Original post by ajj2000)
What grades are they asking and how confident are you? Do you have a chance to visit reading? They have a very strong history in QS.
Highest is DDM/128 UCAS Points and I'm confident that I will meet that. I'm hoping to visit Reading during one of their offer holder days, but I think they'll send an email about that in the new year hopefully.
Account4Choices
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
OK so write pros and cons for each - I've had students go to all of those except Kingston. Brookes and Loughbrough seem to be enjoyed the most but locations are somewhat different. What were your thoughts at the open days?
I will write pros and cons, thanks for that idea. As for open days, I didn't get the "I belong here/this is the uni for me" feeling (I'm a very logical person so I doubt that I will get it for the other two).
poweredstar
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Highest is DDM/128 UCAS Points and I'm confident that I will meet that. I'm hoping to visit Reading during one of their offer holder days, but I think they'll send an email about that in the new year hopefully.
As someone looking at doing a QS degree too starting 2022/2023 I visited Reading and Loughborough open days and I personally really liked the tutors at Reading as I felt that they were really passionate about the course and the course structure at Reading is different to what I have seen from other Unis doing QS. In the first 2 years everyone from the 3 construction related courses (Qs, Building Surveying, Construction Management) all do the same before 'Choosing' what they want to get the degree in. This way they were explaining that you get a well rounded understanding of subject and you are not stuck doing a course that you dont like.
Account4Choices
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by poweredstar)
As someone looking at doing a QS degree too starting 2022/2023 I visited Reading and Loughborough open days and I personally really liked the tutors at Reading as I felt that they were really passionate about the course and the course structure at Reading is different to what I have seen from other Unis doing QS. In the first 2 years everyone from the 3 construction related courses (Qs, Building Surveying, Construction Management) all do the same before 'Choosing' what they want to get the degree in. This way they were explaining that you get a well rounded understanding of subject and you are not stuck doing a course that you dont like.
That is what I liked too about Reading. If you don't mind saying, what did you think of Loughborough? I'm sceptical about the whole "sponsorship" thing, because on a recent review on WhatUni, someone said that the department didn't help them that much with placements. I think that it's due to COVID, and it's made me question the probability of me getting a placement if I go there.
poweredstar
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
That is what I liked too about Reading. If you don't mind saying, what did you think of Loughborough? I'm sceptical about the whole "sponsorship" thing, because on a recent review on WhatUni, someone said that the department didn't help them that much with placements. I think that it's due to COVID, and it's made me question the probability of me getting a placement if I go there.
I went to a Loughborough open day back in the summer and I really liked the campus and the general vibe there. I didnt get to go and see the actual Construction School facilities as it was closed but I have done lots of research online about the course and it looks very good but personally I like Reading more because of the course and the lecturers. When I went to the Reading open day the lecturer said that he would not recommend doing a placement year but more doing a placement over summer as you get the same experience, make industry links (They said industry links are very important), finish Uni a year earlier compared to doing a placement year and because QS's are so in demand a majority of students get a sponsorship based off their summer placements. I think no matter what you do you will get some kind sponsorship as the Construction Industry is booming and QS's are very in demand as there is a shortage, so companies are keen to take the talent. I hope this helps
Account4Choices
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by poweredstar)
I went to a Loughborough open day back in the summer and I really liked the campus and the general vibe there. I didnt get to go and see the actual Construction School facilities as it was closed but I have done lots of research online about the course and it looks very good but personally I like Reading more because of the course and the lecturers. When I went to the Reading open day the lecturer said that he would not recommend doing a placement year but more doing a placement over summer as you get the same experience, make industry links (They said industry links are very important), finish Uni a year earlier compared to doing a placement year and because QS's are so in demand a majority of students get a sponsorship based off their summer placements. I think no matter what you do you will get some kind sponsorship as the Construction Industry is booming and QS's are very in demand as there is a shortage, so companies are keen to take the talent. I hope this helps
Thanks, this helps a lot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (138)
43.67%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
17.09%
No (124)
39.24%

Watched Threads